Tanto style blades, what's everyone's feelings?

I like a tanto blade, I've never felt incapable of cutting anything with one. I've never felt like I was unable to sharpen what is mostly 2 straight edges. It's easier to sharpen a straight edge than a recurve for most people, but when you add a second straight edge, it's like people become lose it. One at a time folks, keep it simple stupid methods apply here.
Not all tanto blade shapes and grinds are good though, there are some really bad angles and grinds out there. I won't mention names out of respect, but my God....What are some people thinking. :)

Like a lot of folks, I loved the tanto look as a younger man, but the more I really got into knives & collecting them...developing a style of my own, I realized that tantos were not bag. I did recently buy a custom fixed that is arguably close-ish to being an elongated version of a tanto-ish.....ish. I wish I could post the pics, but I'm still having issues accessing my photos.

I agree with Mr. Devil's above thoughts on not all tantos being created equal - I'm not personally a fan of the really blunt & thick tantos, I don't get those. The thin & lean tantos though, I do think those are great for urban types of EDCing.

What axe is that thing?

It looks like a hatchet head mounted on a mace with a stiletto handle.

It's a one-off custom by William Nease of Unsubtle Blades... A2 steel bit fastened with grade 8 bolts to a T6061 aluminum handle... I love it. :thumbup:

Moar tanto:

22393498779_1d009cb7d4_z.jpg

These two are pretty cool - Shizuka and Otanashi - a little heavy b/c of the steel frame, though

I only have one Tanto. I like it enough to carry it every single day since I bought it 9 months ago.

25qzotw.jpg

I use it to cut, pry, pierce, scrape, bore, just about anything. I love it for a general purpose tool.

These two are pretty cool - Shizuka and Otanashi - a little heavy b/c of the steel frame, though

I love the looks of these. Going to have to order them. Found them at BladeHQ. The large one has a 4.5 blade. Mikey likes it!! :D

^^^ Glad you like, cbxer55! The Otanashi is definitely a large blade - just over 4-1/2 inches - but it's actually easier to open/close and manipulate than the smaller Shizuka.

Here's another looksie (from a few months ago when I first got them):

I've saved these to my favorite list. Blade HQ has them both in stock. Going to order them both this weekend. Love the looks. Like big blades. Also like having a large and small of the same type on me, one each side. I assume the pocket clips are not reversible? Which isn't a big deal, I've been able to open rh knives on my left since like forever.

Thanks for the extra pictures.

Accepted your friend request.

I don't know why people have problems with sharpening the tanto :confused:

The grind of the point is usually a lot blunter.

I could never get that tip portion sharp on a Cold Steel Tanto: Not a fault of the design, just a fault of having a thick bevel behind the edge.

That being said, non-tanto curved edge bellies usually grow blunter as you round the point, but this is not as bad on hollow ground bowies for instance.

Few Tanto tips have hollow ground tips, even if the main edge is.

Gaston

Friggin' awesome geometry to look at!!!
can't say if it works in every instance;
let alone being seen as anything mildly appropriate for edc.
It's just a shame that some folks negatively associate such a blade shape with the evils of ninjas...

I've saved these to my favorite list. Blade HQ has them both in stock. Going to order them both this weekend. Love the looks. Like big blades. Also like having a large and small of the same type on me, one each side. I assume the pocket clips are not reversible? Which isn't a big deal, I've been able to open rh knives on my left since like forever.
Thanks for the extra pictures.
Accepted your friend request.

Excellent, my friend! We would love to see pics of yours when you have it in hand...

^ bottom one looks like a great edc candidate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That top one is exceptionally cool Ben!!
Just awesome stuff!
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another look at the Otanashi, just for cbxer55:

Ordered them both today. I got that CRKT Kit Carson auto in yesterday. Pics soon. Very well built automatic. Red LocTite used on all fasteners. including the pivot. CPM-154 steel, and it's sharp. Totally nice piece from CRKT. Surprised at that. They really have upped their game since the last one I bought, which fell apart on me at work one day. ;-)

Back