Tanto?

JK Knives

Does anyone besides @tyhigg and myself like Tantos? I’ve only made a few, but I’ve always liked them.

I've always like the look but only ever had 2 and didn't like how one of those worked. I think the angle from the main edge to the front edge was too steep. The one I liked which I recently traded was a spyderco lum tanto folder that had a slight belly on the main edge and I really liked that. The handle kind of sucked though, for me.

not a fan of american style tanto, but the more traditional japanese style isn't bad -- similar to some of the puukko/leuku shapes I've seen and used.

not a fan of american style tanto, but the more traditional japanese style isn't bad -- similar to some of the puukko/leuku shapes I've seen and used.
I made one of those for my brother a few years ago, pictures have disappeared.

I threw this up in the collaboration thread, but do y'all think about a tanto with a little bit o' belly? I was just messing around with it but I've had a few people think it was pretty cool looking at work. I think the chisel grind like Ty's would be fun to add in there as well.

Top on is the more refined drawing, bottom one was 1st draft. Had to make sure the bottle opener made it into the exposed butt too.
aZUsYi4l.jpg

Edit: just realized how off center that from hollow pin looks. Woops.

^that’s sweet. :thumbsup: Love the handle.

the handle is great on the E01 series. I love this model so much so that it’s my second one and the third one might be here today! It’s the only knife model I have duplicates of, and if that doesn’t say something about the design and usability I don’t know what does.

bikerector bikerector I haven’t checked the collaboration thread yet but I do like that design and love a bellied tanto. The one above looks to be a good skinning knife as well as general utility tasks around a camp!

Speaking of the Tanto, I’ve been working on a small one.

Would it happen to be a tin knife?

I don't think I've ever owned a tanto

I wasn’t big on tantos until I picked up a cheap one off amazon with a gift card a couple years back in college. After carrying one for a while I started to really love having two tips and two edges essentially. Super useful

I know a spanto isn't a tanto but I love me a spanto blade And if the tanto is done right I'll carry one no problem. The problem is I have only had one tanto I liked. On a very old cold steel back maybe 15-20 years ago. Cant even remember what the knife was. Just remember the blade was really done nice.

I know a spanto isn't a tanto but I love me a spanto blade And if the tanto is done right I'll carry one no problem. The problem is I have only had one tanto I liked. On a very old cold steel back maybe 15-20 years ago. Cant even remember what the knife was. Just remember the blade was really done nice.
Did the Cold Steel have brass or stainless guard and end cap with rubber handles? That’s when they were nice, I had several.

Back