Tantos, a serious discussion?

I know threads on tantos can get a tad, off topic, to say the least. After witnessing the banana tanto a few months back (possible one of the greatest threads in BF, nay internet history) I wouldn't be surprised if this thread ended up in W&C either but I'd really like to have a serious discussion on them.

Whether it's you making recommendations for me to try, looking for rec's to try yourself or just sharing knowledge let's hear it!

Ill start with a statement: I believe the Americanized tanto blade shape to be the ideal blade type for a working man's knife.

I'm not talking about the white collar dude that needs to spread his cream cheese on his bagel and open mail, I'm talking blue collar work (me, I do construction / HD equipment maintenance and my wife and I [horse] farm)...

First let me preface by saying IDGAF about what anyone thinks about any knife I pull out and I do realize tanto blades can sometimes look scarier to the general public so let's put that one aspect aside for now.

Some reasons I make the above statement-
2 straight edges, this provides multiple benefits; both edges can be treated differently, be it in-use or during sharpening. I like to "save" the forward edge for lighter cutting tasks while I use the longer main portion for general tasks and hard use, this keeps the forward bevel in good shape for filleting wiring harnesses open or making gaskets or stripping wire while in use the longer bevel for hard cutting and scraping and everything else. It also means after a day of hard use I likely only need to sharpen the longer edge as the front either won't need anything or just needs stropped (which can be done at the same time as the main portion after it's sharpened).

Speaking of sharpening there's no curves you have to lift your hand to follow, just sharpen two straight blades.

As well as having two main edges you have two points, the true tip at the front end and the tip where the two grinds meet up. Plus you can exert a whole heck of a lot more force on that second tip than you can the actual forward point without fear of it chipping on you.

They're totally bad ass. Also note worthy I should mention before I really got into knives about 10 years ago my main EDC was a CRKT drifter so I feel like, at an unconscious level that slightly contributes to my strong affection, as dumb as that may be

Thoughts? Knife recommendations I have to try (fixed mostly but I do need to try a tanto CRK at some point in my life) and am not necessarly limiting you here other than that it should be an Americanized tanto (or atleast pretty close).
*this is not purely a recommendation thread but I thought it might be fun as tanto recommendation threads don't come up very often at all so I figured why not throw them in here.

One knife currently on my short list is the Steel Will Cager 1420, it's drop-point brother (1410) has lots of gleaming reviews but literally nothing on the 1420.

Anyone have anything to add?

I never liked Tantos until I found CRK. I love the way the tanto front has a sexy little belly to it. But for the abrupt transition between the two edges, it could almost be a steep straightback blade. It is my favorite CRK shape and I think it is as good or better than other blade types at most tasks, the notable exceptions being food prep and game dressing (or similar). There are some midtechs and customs with really compelling tantos as well.

Oh, and it works great with bagles and cream cheese too. ;)

EA537C09-CF3E-42A5-8FBA-B1D5730B05E6.jpeg

I've had a love hat relationship with the Americanized tanto. Some are poorly executed and look like a mess others are just about perfect. (RJ Martin Wasabi, Tendick Kwaikens)

I perfect a blade with a thinner main edge and a more obtuse and thicker grind at the point. This is one that Adam Vigil made and is hollow ground with a thick flat ground tip. I am very pleased with this setup. So much so that I am having him make another one with a chisel ground edge for a friend that will probably abuse on a daily basis.

FRfh75I.jpg

Well, I don't think tantos are any scarier to the general public than any other knife.

I do think that their negative aspects are vastly overstated by knife enthusiasts. They are, over all, good enough as an EDC blade. I EDC'd a really nice-looking SOG Vision tanto back in the day and it worked just fine.

On the other hand, I think you are overstating it's usefulness too. A nice, even curve is no problem to sharpen. Easier, I'd say, than an American-style tanto. I also prefer it for EDC tasks. That "second point" is rarely (though occassionally) an advantage in my personal EDC life and I'd rather a blade than can slice cleanly all the way to the tip.

I'll also mention that if I wanted a multi-grind blade, I'd prefer the "fine work" edge near the handle, not out on the tip.

The only American-style tanto I'd recommend is a 1990s titanium-frame SOG Vision Arc lock. :D

I love a Tanto style blade but they seem to bring me bad luck. I almost never drop a knife but for some reason if I do, it is a Tanto, and I tip the ever loving mess out of it. The worst was my zt0620. I owned it for a week and was cutting up some boxes on a counter. I left the knife opened and accidentally knocked it off the counter where it landed tip down on the tile. I sent it off to ZT and had a new blade put on it. The knife comes back to me, I open it up and I am thrilled with the new blade. I go to close it and somehow slipped with my hand and dropped it on another tile floor. Tipped again!!!! So you would think 3rd time is a charm. Nope! Came in the 3rd time and I am on a boat with a friend. He runs over a crab pot and gets the rope tangled in the prop. I get in the water with my ZT to cut the rope out of the prop. I am cutting the rope and having great success. On the very last cut I needed a wave came around and I exerted too much force to cut the line. When I did, you guessed it, I hit the prop with the tip and it popped a 1/4" off. After that I sent it in, got it fixed and gave it to a buddy of mine.

There are a few other stories but not as bad as the ZT0620 story. I do still carry Tanto Style blades but I find myself being a little more cautious with them now.

As far as recommendations. My personal favorite is the modified Tanto on the Southern Grind Bad Monkey. It is much more useful than I ever thought it would be and the tip is very solid. I also like my Hinderer Harpoon Tanto Fatty and Half Track Tanto.

I used to really like the tanto for all the reasons you mentioned OP, but now days I prefer a hawk-bill or wharncliffe/sheepsfoot 2"-3" for light/ precise tasks like stripping wire, and a 3.5"-4" drop point with a sharp tip for everything else. I eventually got tired of sharpening two separate edges and the point where the two bevels meet up would hang up on long draw cuts. I'll be watching this thread to see what y'all think because I'm on the fence about an Umnumzaan tanto mostly for the looks and because I love my drop/harpoon point zaan, and it's hard to beat the tip durability of a tanto IMO.

I have always liked the "Americanized" tanto. Straight edge variants are fine, although I prefer a bit of a curve along the edge.

I don't think tantos excel at any particular task, but are adequate for the vast majority of applications.

I do think they have some strong points for a defensive blade though; namely the straight(ish) edge and the yokote.

IMO, a tanto is essentially the combination of two common blade styles; the kiridashi and the warncliffe.

If you like those two blade styles, you will probably enjoy a tanto.

Ill start with a statement: I believe the Americanized tanto blade shape to be the ideal blade type for a working man's knife.

I'm not talking about the white collar dude that needs to spread his cream cheese on his bagel and open mail, I'm talking blue collar work (me, I do construction / HD equipment maintenance and my wife and I [horse] farm)...

I only own one tanto, and I hate it. Actually, I hate pretty much everything about this knife. It's a special edition Microtech Mini SOCOM auto. I don't like tantos, even this one which is far more subtle than most Americanized tanto profiles. Plus it has rubber handle inserts, tip-down carry, and a beadblasted serrated blade. And that douche Anthony Marifone laser engraved his signature on this edition. Hate this knife. I keep and use it for sentimental reasons. I find the tanto profile more an annoyance than a benefit.

The only other tanto I can remember owning is the ultimate in badass, hard use tantos, the Severtech auto. 4" of 60Rc A2 tool steel. If I ever felt like I owned a knife that I could cut a car or another knife in half with, it was the Severtech. I ended up selling it (actually, both of them - I owned 2) because I just couldn't appreciate the tanto blade shape. I never found the "secondary tip" particularly useful. I'd rather just use the tip. As for the tip, I don't like it when the tip is so close to the spine. Give me a gradual belly with a drop, spear, or clip point. Or even a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe. My favorite "hard work" knife is a Great Eastern 47 Hayn' Helper with an O-1 sheepsfoot blade. When a blade has the tip so close to the spine, and so far away from the rest of the edge, I find that I don't have the control I want for delicate cuts, or the power for draw cuts. I also have a GEC 71 Bullnose (I've owned a couple others), but I don't really like it very much - or most sodbusters - for those same reasons. I never liked using the secondary tip on a tanto for draw cuts either.

If I were to try the Americanized tanto again, it would probably be the Griptilian or similar blade. The tip on the Griptilian is dropped heavily, basically to the half-way mark of the blade's full width. With this profile, I could see it being useful for hard use for me. The tip is dropped, yet still strong with thick backing, and I could get good use out of the secondary tip. I'll probably never find out though, since I'd rather spend money on a knife I know I'll like instead of one I might like.

I know most hate Gerber but I really like the Decree and it's "hybrid" Tanto drop point.
Really cool designed blade IMHO.

I don't like Tanto blades for the record. I do own a CS Voyager Tanto though.

I like them and have always liked them. I don't do much belly requiring tasks with my pocket knives. However I do find myself often cutting paper laying flat on my cardboard cutting table. The yokote (points where the two edges meet, the secondary tip) is ideal for this or cuts like this. You don't have to raise your wrist as high as when you use the tip of a "regular" knife.

While not exclusive or mandatory to tantos alot of them seem to have thicker tips. That is good for durability but bad for precise tip work.

Defensively they are a good durable shape. If I was an old timey gamblin' drifter who had his one stabby knife I would be thrilled to have that durable tanto tip. Also tanto tipped blades often present well in every grip edge in or out, grip up or down.

One of colds steel's offerings in 3v would be a tough one I would assume and not too costly. I've been looking/buying a few more tanto's myself these days.

Wow guys great responses so far! I was worried I'd take some flack or the thread would just be filled with banter so thank you all for the actual responses.
Headed out the door for work and won't be able to really respond again till this evening but lots of good points here to address.

Give the Benchmade 760LFTi a try.
M4 tool steel, Ti framelock, and it is a fairly decent size knife.

An interesting discussion. I know there are some traditionalists who scoff at the American-Tanto design. I also realize marketing created some of the animosity towards all Tanto designed knives. I think my first one was a BM/Emerson CQC7 from the early 90's (I still have it!) and just loved the "aggressive look". I never cared for the "chisel grind" much, but since I like Emerson knives, I learned to tolerate it.

I probably own a dozen or so different "Tanto" designs. To be honest, I'm indifferent. I don't necessarily seek them out, but if the knife design has other qualities I like, the blade shape doesn't bother me much. I've used Tanto blades in the field and never felt "under knifed" or disadvantaged with them...they function just fine for various "bushcraft" tasks or regular field cutting needs. I think many disproved the "penetration" qualities, but it's still a good advertising point. They do look more aggressive, but are not really a more defensive (or offensive?) knife design.

Cold Steel gets criticism at times and rightfully so, but I do have an older Cold Steel Mater Tanto. I really just love the lines and design. Sure, I can bitch about the Kraton handle and the over-the-top marketing, but I really love that knife for some reason. Maybe it was that add in the 90's gun and knife magazines with the guy at the poker table getting ready to use his Tanto; or maybe it was my 18E (commo chief) working for me who was a big ass Samoan who carried one daily at work and in the field.

The cut, that's the simple truth. We have some many incredible and diverse blade designs these days that we can all find something which appeals to us personally and is still a functional cutting tool; the Tanto design is just one of them. I never had an issue with those that just didn't find them appealing or maybe even skeptical of the design, but to get your panties in a wad over a blade shape to the point of raised blood pressure arguing about it is pretty ridiculous. I will say that some knife designs do look better with that "American-Tanto" blade...and I'm not abashed to say it.

ROCK6

I agree with the op, great work style blade. I do landscaping and always carry my Emerson roadhouse. The front straight edge is strong and useful for so many tasks.
Outside of work I do not carry a tanto style blade. I really have no place for it.

I only have three tantos, a Hinderer 3", a Fatty & a ZT 0620. The Fatty seems just about right for me. The 3" is nice, but I like something in the 3.5" range for everyday use. The 0620, while being super smooth & a very nice design, weighs in at 6.5 ounces. That's almost a whole ounce more than my Fatty.
DSC_0025-X3.jpg

I dislike the simplest of the American tanto shapes with two flat bevels and a practically obtuse tip that is so thick it actually penetrates poorly.

I do like them with a bit of belly on both edges, or many of the traditional tanto shapes.

I really like the CRK tanto and the Lum tanto shapes.

Great thread! While I don't have any tanto blades in my collection (currently), I've never had a problem using them as work knives. In fact, I've found that they cut a lot like a box cutter or an xacto knife.

I don't really have much to add that's already been said, but I have found that I prefer tantos that have more of gradual transition from to primary bevel to the tip like the Benchmade Stryker versus something much more abrupt like a lot of the Cold Steel tantos. Not that there's anything wrong with the tanto designs that Cold Steel uses, but I've found that a tanto with more of a gradual transition gives me a wider range of cutting capabilities that you would normally find in other blade designs that have actual "belly".

benchmade-910-cm-large.jpg
cold-steel-58tpct-cm-large.jpg

Last edited:
Back