Tantos: do you love/hate ‘em?

What do you think about tanto blades?

• Total voters
I have a Cold Steel Tanto Lite and Outdoorsman Lite on order. Strange, but the blade shape of the Outdoorsman Lite is far more of a traditional tanto design than the Tanto Lite's (except for the darn "bone breaker" they put on the Outdoorsman's spine).

I checked out the Wikipedia entry on Tantos and the blade style diagram there surprised me. None of them looked like what I typically see marketed as a tanto, or picture in my mind as a tanto. Time for me to word up! I have a good library of non-fiction and reference books related to most of my hobbies. I don't think I have a single knife book...

Neither. Though I admit I have little to no use for one. And, Yes. I do have one. (C.S. "G.I. Tanto" since 2013? ... 2014? I might have carried it once, for an hour or two, when I got it. The knife is O.K., the sheath sucks.)

The only advantage I can see for them would be stabbing something that may break a different style blade.
They certainly go through metal and tires, so do other types but the tips don't bend or break as easy stabbing.
Try opening a mail envelope with one. Not that easy.
And sharpening the point is harder.
What caught my attention to maybe not the greatest?
Thompson of Cold Steel is always touted as being a great pusher of that blade design.'
Every time he disclosed what he used and carried : NOT ONCE a tanto style blade.
So he pushes the design and doesn't use them??
red flag

I notice a lot of people don't seem to like tantos because they're not that great for slicing food or skinning but outside of a kitchen knife I really don't use my knives for any of that kind of thing unless I'm in a real pinch, then the tanto still gets the job done. My knives get used mostly for work and utility and as an electrician and HVAC tech, I find the tanto excels at those tasks.

And there you have it. Many here don't think of knives as tools. Some think of them of art objects, some toys, some fidgety gizmos, some like them just because they like them. ALL FAIR! Although I only purchase the tool end of the knife world, I do indeed admire a great piece craftsmanship and design.

Like you, my tantos are relegated to work status. I use them constantly, my end being more carpentry and fine woodworking oriented, from sharpening my pencils to get a hair thickness trim mark to changing a mortise on a hinge. They scrape, cut, chisel and adjust things. Sometimes things I don't want to cut, but when real utility knife with a disposable blade isn't at hand and duty calls...

I have NO IDEA why someone would think a tanto would be good in the kitchen. I cook constantly, all fresh prep, and have just a few favorite knives. I run the diamond rod (1200 gr) over any knife I use before I use it, every time. Yes, every time. It is sharp enough to me for one meal session, then washed, stored, ready for service again. When I am showing off I like to get about 10 slices out of a grape tomato and slice cucumbers thin enough to see light through. No tantos in the kitchen.

Skinning an animal, breaking it down, or even home butchering? A tanto? Buy the right tool for the job. Reading that folks find the tanto style difficult to use when cutting up or dressing out game... wow...

I wouldn't use a pen knife to trim a bad cut on a 2X4, cut up a head of cabbage, or break down the packing boxes that hold equipment. I wouldn't use a tanto to cut up onions, tomatoes or to chiffonade the cooking herbs I grow.

I am not one of the "if you were in the apocalypse and you only had one knife" guys. I buy the correct knife for the job and use it as intended and all seems to work well with little or no disappointment.

Robert

As of right now, I only have three tanto blades. One folding and two fixed. The folder is surprisingly good for mundane EDC tasks like opening boxes and cutting rope. I’m quite happy with it.

Do you guys use tantos?

I have one tanto. Had it for long time. So far its been best for scraping off labels and such stuff. I would get a good quality tanto if the tip and blade were put together right. As a PM2 fan I was tempted by the recent PM2 Tanto offering, but passed on it.

I have one tanto. Had it for long time. So far its been best for scraping off labels and such stuff. I would get a good quality tanto if the tip and blade were put together right. As a PM2 fan I was tempted by the recent PM2 Tanto offering, but passed on it.
The Kobun’s tanto tip is pretty well done. Hollow grind for the main edge, then saber grind for the “tanto edge.”

Back