Tantos: do you love/hate ‘em?

What do you think about tanto blades?

• Total voters
I don't hate them but I also don't like them. I think I only have the one right now and it is not overly Americanized.

Pht1ApSh.jpg

Sometimes I think they look awesome, others ridiculous. I own a couple; they cut, so no complaints.

For EDC use, I think they’re fine.
For food prep or game dressing, not so much.
Aesthetically, some I like and some I don’t, so generalization is difficult.

I've seen Alot of real nice looking Tantos here. I don't hate them, they just aren't my thing. Keep posting the great pics!

I do not hate tanto blades, I just have no use for them. They are not very good at most tasks compared to other designs, but are good for tactical stuff, which I am not into.

I don't really love the look, it kinda shouts - I'd like to be a ninja, but I like the extra point there it makes that area more useful I think

I prefer a Tanto to a Wharncliffe blade for EDC. You still get the same straight cutting edge and low point that the Wharncliffe has, but you also get the second edge for scraping, and it can act almost like the belly on a drop point if needed. Although if I'm doing something that really needs a blade with "belly" I'll carry a drop point or clip point.

I have a few knives with that blade style, but generally don't carry them. I can't recall the last time I purchased a knife that has a tanto blade on it. They look alright on certain knives, but on others, especially those with handle shapes where the curves don't match up, they irk me.

The "reverse tanto" is a completely different thing. It is "reversed", after all, with attributes generally opposite those of the Americanized tanto.

Agreed. I have several in this general shape, and enjoy those very much.

I love a good tanto problem if finding a good one. The american tanto doesn't bother me like others but it does deserve distinction from the original style. I will say I have seen plenty ruined with various other aspects of the knife or blade that didn't work for me.

I don't like sharpening, especially tanto tips. I own a handful, but only for occasional carry. Cold Steel Kobun, Sog Flash, CRKT M-16 big dog titanium, Bestech Kendo, Cold Steel Mini tac, Cold Steel Voyager XL, Kerhaw Blur, Kershaw Spoiler, Kizer Ki303, Artisan Cutlery Proponent(s).

th
th
th
th
th
th
th
th
th

Are these considered tantos?
th
th

Last edited:
I don't own any but have thought about getting one - for instance, I like the Umnumzaan and Olamic tantos.

I'm generally not crazy about the style, with one exception. I love the Spyderco Double Bevel.

Depends on the tanto. Some I find attractive and elegant, some I find utilitarian and practical and some I find downright goofy. Same can be said for most blade shapes.

Back