Tantos: do you love/hate ‘em?

What do you think about tanto blades?

• Total voters
Any thoughts about the Spyderco PM2 Tanto exclusive? I'm thinking about it for my first tanto...
I was very exited over it since it first appearance at blade show something like 2 years ago
The all black version that was teased increased my interest even more
But the price has been a complete bummer for me
It quit the idea of getting one and I rather will consider another CRK tanto

Hate is a strong word, but I really don't like them. Aesthetically, they put me off. Functionally, I'm happiest with an outward belly and most tantos seem to have minimal if any belly at all.

For my usage thus far, I've never liked straight edges, so Wharncliffes and Sheepsfoots don't appeal to me either. But they don't put me off aesthetically like tantos tend to do.

My like or dislike of a Tanto blade depends on the overall aesthetics and quality of the knife. I have a few tanto folders (and fixed blades), but there are a few knives that I have no interest in seeing in tanto-blade configurations. CRK folders, Spydercos, Benchmades, traditionals, Kershaws/ZT's (with one exception) in general do not appeal to me in tanto form.

Some tantos that I do love because they're just awesome...
hZM7yhm.jpg

Last edited:
My like or dislike of a Tanto blade depends on the overall aesthetics and quality of the knife. I have a few tanto folders (and fixed blades), but there are a few knives that I have no interest in seeing in tanto-blade configurations. CRK folders, Spydercos, Benchmades, traditionals, Kershaws/ZT's (with one exception) in general do not appeal to me in tanto form.

Some tantos that I do love because they're just awesome...
hZM7yhm.jpg
I'm still contemplating what should be my first ZT/Hinderer knife... Since I don't currently own a tanto, not really sure if I want to spend the $$$ for a ZT Tanto. I'm interested in the wave on that though... And what's the blade length? I haven't seen that around, was it a sprint or something?

I'm still contemplating what should be my first ZT/Hinderer knife... Since I don't currently own a tanto, not really sure if I want to spend the $$$ for a ZT Tanto. I'm interested in the wave on that though... And what's the blade length? I haven't seen that around, was it a sprint or something?

It's the Zero Tolerance 0620cf model, which has been discontinued. They pop up on the secondary market from time to time.

This^^^
I'm sure they factor in the machining of the compound grind. I know it has a hollow grind on the straight edge, and a flat grind on the second edge, and a swedge. But I agree, I do argue that the regular PM2 G10/S30V isn't worth $150 to begin with. Not knocking Spyderco at all. People will still pay that price and more for their proven quality and style. Hell, even I have contradicted myself and paid MORE than $150 for the PM2 with Emerson wave (forget if I mentioned that already.)

I'm not a PM2 fan. Well, I'm not a fan of the traditional PM2 because of the blade. I like the handle, the compression lock, and the Spydie-hole. I suppose that's why I'm so interested in the blade shape variants (couldn't care less for the exotic steel variants that everyone else seems to go crazy for).

Also am very interested in any PM2 with a longer blade (but same handle length). The PM2 wave spec at 3.45" blade length online vs original PM2 with 3.44" (I know, tiny difference but I thought it would make the difference for me). I saw that the PM2 tanto specs had the blade length at 3.5" and says the handle is the same. Do you have an original PM2?? If so, do you notice the blade handle ratio difference?? That would be another major factor important to me.

So, I guess I would kill 3 birds with one knife, if the PM2 tanto truly has a longer blade (with original length PM2 handle).
The two blades are very close in length, almost to close to tell.
LMX8ezY5vuMOQePDgUSBnPRNn0ZM9RwYJereisMgCKRePpA1VKK-3kL4ghsiZVVq2d58j31yM-ODMwa5e4awB9JoS1rTZs0s9WyRCEcJ158472mM9aWfCCiWJwOnysl9aTQtRaCpJPhXBbHYkqQR4cSYfBevsF7mthLy-b--6_G66ncDAYLngiIqlfezFjgsADwle085HyZvTMKey7a3673F5llgX7OzXGQ7wVoIDcCEdoOjnBVCIdI13IADfG42C7z_easNOCcZg8INhMUfYspttd-gmqMOK_mR2-y6R2WqZbTvAbLMXuO1Nk8M7ntyzY64aA5fR84XrgDLgG8MZnP3te0n5zwGRnhPNLl1ORqMhitlkMWo69gZ9PntzGjlApyS5INpqPQsit116kA2q8evNXrJ5-s81iB-vplJKVye3O9VaGF_IS_pOkIKv9WLN8Jmb8NBvgGzKo7wPdLSIZHaL4C_2e59bZq5uVpef-rRi8vpVLkZyZMDc3Wggh5f7C8hM87kj5l_y0dxB5BNQLn0ZuYtC5VqLwvgKIOdUUn11TBOtvMrnhc1nrWu2nmnYMs1f9XmqWhthYpBhbUEn0vMGvIrFgt7eHd5R8n6DVGIl_HBiaNRkorlDheTEabxRuwTa5_UpEQUTsqna9O569qnygy0zery23aRnBke1B0WDrJF-uRDYKB7nFoZow=w456-h608-no

POTs-PT98vk3DOsclGTLFsQPiztkcHcSj-odHZ7o_hR_ZPJuGvmIRBH-yWnNWhTAzYbrC928zrzcPevYW-o9yQ36hP25FOo-JeCGnjlN6hYduul8KHRdi6qkS4ixsbYQIdsxas281jaKl_049o47ID0800uwr4hw5VC3NDkn8AmS3E2_4jdAQXjInh75fK2zacJVgZFGS_NSyeTCGU00KaUUyQI0hIVxKwkuGMLn4Z3NZ5bnrfVv5ldt_fHPWcm1I7UPLJJFqn976IZpsTV7a_xMh9oWZ1A4OUem10Bf4y2Pg4DQujKSktx8eNxEXVTcRx2vQxNjbvGQpW0ivVQss10QhLGQXOlaSmd4NXMppKk93MaTCp_CaxZ8HwCcHuIMEVHj5BrdT5FeipETTrFZFuH5to47dn6_ffWimPL-ES5oIWY0nr6H8N6XxEz6s3TWr_VclaxiE4h0jv1H1wCRY_l2HUatuvN6n2i7RDNVnPUzIlHNmx6ozy14OpLCnFNk0egjcnQKRgSXmeUpGFJJcBYBrOQfHa4q7Ndj7lodgo3awTAfg465pa--PBsDScF4NhclIoxbvH0qzkvQZ2VGZuuVbF7lNVCrZOzjrIVwA0F0C6l7FoiXekm320cA-rJ3-QF9HSVh6gjkj4UIE1jI-CHCEuDxJ4Byf5hJVOqNUkrvr7fyWCmgeqHNWFTp9g=w456-h608-no

kdn6jE3trdXXmPALytWP1FCnKpM6aPZd_7WuVSywoOkz1jSplVdAd0gEwYSjU4tx3lrtVsNOtyyLUw4OJJsmE543R6BSiJpJVVtHfr9K17rg5SH_5xVMZ7PzJUi2sGjXnhnCgbEyADhiUArxNeE8gicTze_DXioteKlA4m3_Ra4rULlJ9oT3JC885X7fBCAM7PHu5T2x70vk_RgOr-nVJwUGi47vcAv7YAoNujncoEKF9QivBWQ8zP7xYNJT2F2Lvghh6BXkhuu_uTejJJLYVC2DT2Xh8Qvl73LVRa04irrpTYDaNz9_fvuIuGaYs8rfTBRUNWiot0fAbQKUHFJf8RTlFBGVM5vYVmYJAhdIUnoEjylJDiumQDCVFwnuf-H5vY_w1ibTFysUSN-Bi-iXpIWqp4UOGWIH5vm34cbA8nWDp11ItdzwSlJZqsev5aHtW1fXlm7sl_ZmeVfCB6HSGI815p2cIRK6H2qsN5g8aFxFIzVsGOuok24u4xN0yosePOsyp-5U00PPfONUR_6DQw9MFZ1hREJJtCv6SuyaoveSrDN80mErFZVGCqAaCfDbUifQCKlq8VNSFvEa6_yyLJ1oj-QoEcLOkM-jQ4PKCoyLkfQvdavHwOMD-Iip9iUhpaTNMND6vU_aPMJYMpAQE1kzQg2qgIKVxkQhMq7b0SpbVCK2UamM-oZLS_OS5w=w811-h608-no

AF1QipOj2FOg9g6srzaSm9J4_KXwleiCwkn7xWdW0SnD

Last edited:
It's the Zero Tolerance 0620cf model, which has been discontinued. They pop up on the secondary market from time to time.
You will love it, they do show up for fair $$ and are good knives IMO.
Yes, ZT 620 is the model, mine was CF as well, before I did some work on it.
Here is "before" picture, alone with CQC7 for size comparison:

qLm3oD.jpg

I'm not crazy about frame locks but this one is OK, the knife is built solid and you will be happy with it, wave works fine,
I'd use fob to pull it because it's quicker but not necessarily everyone is on this page...
Josh from REK did my regrind, primary edge went chisel grind, and Suingab sent a custom Emerson theme scale,
here is the result, came up very nice I think:

5fsF0X.jpg

EDIT: I'm Sorry Dallas, the post was intended to BJ987, I'm sure you figured it out by now, I guess I'm too tired today... :D

I don't hate tantos, but given the choice between love and hate, I am probably a bit closer to hate than love.

I really like my CQC 15 and mini 15. Just got the Para 2 tanto and am carrying it a lot. Beyond that, I don't have strong feelings for or against hem.

You will love it, they do show up for fair $$ and are good knives IMO.
Yes, ZT 620 is the model, mine was CF as well, before I did some work on it.
Here is "before" picture, alone with CQC7 for size comparison:

qLm3oD.jpg

I'm not crazy about frame locks but this one is OK, the knife is built solid and you will be happy with it, wave works fine,
I'd use fob to pull it because it's quicker but not necessarily everyone is on this page...
Josh from REK did my regrind, primary edge went chisel grind, and Suingab sent a custom Emerson theme scale,
here is the result, came up very nice I think:

5fsF0X.jpg

EDIT: I'm Sorry Dallas, the post was intended to BJ987, I'm sure you figured it out by now, I guess I'm too tired today... :D
That's beautiful... What's the blade length? I know the CQC-7 is short for me (I prefer 3.5" minimum). You mentioned getting it re-ground to chisel, so does that mean it base model is v-ground? Also, forgot to mention I'm a semi-newb... What's the best "secondary market" I should be browsing...?

Blade Length is little bit over 3.5", as Dcdavis suggested, if you're new to this, The Knife Exchange is probably the best place to find good deal and fair price for one of those, I'm in the same page too. I had nothing but good experience with everything I purchased from this forum.

Back