Tarnished Eye Brand

I’ve got a Schlieper Eye Brand knife (a copperhead, maybe early 80s vintage) with some serious black tarnish developing on both blades. These are the old hammer forged blades and have a very unique lustre.
What’s the best way to remove this tarnish without ruining the sheen?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

You might try silver polish. But some appreciate the "tarnish" or patina, which forms when the carbon in the steel reacts with acidic substances (meat, fruit). Personally, I like it -- the patina on my CS Master Hunter reminds me of skinning those caribou up in the Tombstone Valley in the Yukon a few years back.

What’s the best way to remove this tarnish without ruining the sheen?
This is not a smart aleck comment though at first it might sound like one :
Have you tried washing it with just soap and water . . . now after the tarnish has formed (not in the past; obviously you have washed the knife in the past).
I have found that a good wash has taken off some of the patina that I have intentionally formed on a knife. Often after getting the patina I just rinse it and gently dry it without rubbing.
Later when I cut something and do wash the blade with soap and water and RUB it dry some of the cool patina comes off.
I would call that step one, then go to more invasive means. Next step would be something on abrasive. Once it looks like you expect it to put some edible mineral oil on it.

Last edited:
Semi-chrome works pretty well.
It can also be used with a felt wheel on a dremel tool if you need to get a little more aggressive but try not to heat up the Blade too much. This may also remove any factory blade etching if you polish where the blade is etched.
Good luck.

this may also remove any factory blade etching if you polish where the blade is etched.
Yes . . . we have to be careful here he is wanting to keep the factory finish.
Is it this knife ?
So you want to preserve the etched lettering or is there more to it ?

PS: knice knife ! I'd carry that !
German-Eye-Brand-Copperhead-Stag__10629.1500575565.jpg

There are few products that will rival the effectiveness of "Bar Keeper's Friend" for removing tarnish from a blade. I've seen 2 versions, the powder and the liquid. I like using the powder. Just make a paste with water, apply to blade, let it sit for a minute or two, wipe or scrub off. The oxalic acid in BKF works wonders for patina removal. It you would like to brighten the blade afterwards, use your favorite metal polish. My favorite by far is Mother's Mag Aluminum polish.

Back