Taylor made Old Timer OT 8 in Iron Wood.

I scored one online at the Right price and been testing it out since Jan 2016.

So far it takes as good of an edge as I would expect from Case SS and that was a real surprise to me cause of the cost.
Fit finish and polish were equal to the old Uncle Henry line.
I touched it up 2 times since I got it and all I did was stropped it on a 4 way emery board and it shaves my arm.
I will up date as time on this year.

I scored one online at the Right price and been testing it out since Jan 2016.

So far it takes as good of an edge as I would expect from Case SS and that was a real surprise to me cause of the cost.
Fit finish and polish were equal to the old Uncle Henry line.
I touched it up 2 times since I got it and all I did was stropped it on a 4 way emery board and it shaves my arm.
I will up date as time on this year.

Case steel ? I thought all Taylor brands schrade stuff was made in China ?

This Taylor made OT 8 is holding its edge as good as my Case Jack I got for Christmas this year. All I done is stropped them both and I open boxes and cut up food with them at Lunch..

If you would like a little better steel check out the 8OTB. The 9Cr18MoV would be a couple steps above 7Cr17 steel.

I have a couple of Taylor Schrades in 7Cr17 steel. This alloy is pretty close in composition to the 440A used by Schrade-US and marked "Schrade+"

I performed side by side testing, cutting manila rope using
►Taylor Schrade 7Cr17 (Uncle Henry Rancher)
►Schrade-US 440A (Uncle Henry Rancher)
►Case Tru-sharp

I cut manila rope using slicing cuts and examined he edge for wear after 10 cuts. All the blades had been sharpened on a Sharpmaker using the 40° inclusive angle setting.

I found no difference between the performance of the Schrade US and the Taylor-Schrade. Both held an edge noticeably better than the Case TruSharp.

Case steel ? I thought all Taylor brands schrade stuff was made in China ?

Not all of it. Much like some other knife companies, their stuff in manufactured in different places. Some is done in China yes, but also some in Taiwan, and some is still made in the U.S.. Though the US stuff is a small portion of their line. Mostly slip joint folders for presentation pieces for groups such as various labor unions and other organizations. The models I designed for them are all made in Taiwan. I am hopeful of more domestic production in the future.

I have a couple of Taylor Schrades in 7Cr17 steel. This alloy is pretty close in composition to the 440A used by Schrade-US and marked "Schrade+"

I performed side by side testing, cutting manila rope using
►Taylor Schrade 7Cr17 (Uncle Henry Rancher)
►Schrade-US 440A (Uncle Henry Rancher)
►Case Tru-sharp

I cut manila rope using slicing cuts and examined he edge for wear after 10 cuts. All the blades had been sharpened on a Sharpmaker using the 40° inclusive angle setting.

I found no difference between the performance of the Schrade US and the Taylor-Schrade. Both held an edge noticeably better than the Case TruSharp.

Thank you for this info Frank, it's very useful to me. Didn't Stuart Taylor own Schrade in the mid 70s? I still have an Uncle Henry Golden Spike from back then, and it's one of my favorite models from that time period.

This 8OT made in China and the fit and finish is as good at my 3 1970-80'S 8OT's I have.

Not all of it. Much like some other knife companies, their stuff in manufactured in different places. Some is done in China yes, but also some in Taiwan, and some is still made in the U.S.. Though the US stuff is a small portion of their line. Mostly slip joint folders for presentation pieces for groups such as various labor unions and other organizations. The models I designed for them are all made in Taiwan. I am hopeful of more domestic production in the future.

Thank you for this info Frank, it's very useful to me. Didn't Stuart Taylor own Schrade in the mid 70s? I still have an Uncle Henry Golden Spike from back then, and it's one of my favorite models from that time period.

Taylor has only owned Schrade since 2004.

13043705_10207760833372352_3962170297410356846_n.jpg

As the school year slows down I just been cutting food the past few weeks loose threads and such. The Iron wood scales are getting some character from being in my pocket since the first of the year.

Back