Team Gemini Appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that is all very cool. Thanks for the feedback and reply! Having actually used it so much is there anything you would change about it?
I work a large ranch so I use it for a huge range of tasks besides the basic cutting open feed or soil bags like splitting fence rails and notching 2x4s or fence posts when building. I use the butt end as a hammer at times if I am to far from the barn to bother running for the proper tool, blade makes a great pry bar as well. Cutting tarps and ropes, talon holes for bending wire. It comes out of its sheath 15-20 times a day to be used and I never have to fear that its not up for the task. Plus I live in an area where at any point I may come up on an angry or startled bear, mountain lion or boar and having a solid knife at my side feels right

This seems so incongruous to me. Why would it be the only one you would keep if it gets used the least?

Like having a Bugatti Veyron in the garage next to Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, and Ferraris...They are fun to beat on but nothing will match the overall Bugatti handmade elegance which you will keep forever!

I never even considered the nostalgia/KaBar thing so that was enlightening for me... I notice sometimes when the Boss releases a knife he will give some insights into the design. Does anyone know if he did this with the TG series? I know there is a story behind it with his twins. I am talking more about what he had in mind with the design.

Not a ton here, but still an interesting read. It does seem to support the TG being a sort of homage to the classic American combat knife, most notably the Ka-bar USMC. Too bad all the pics are gone...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/heres-a-sneak-peek-at-the-team-gemini-7.714698/

I work a large ranch so I use it for a huge range of tasks besides the basic cutting open feed or soil bags like splitting fence rails and notching 2x4s or fence posts when building. I use the butt end as a hammer at times if I am to far from the barn to bother running for the proper tool, blade makes a great pry bar as well. Cutting tarps and ropes, talon holes for bending wire. It comes out of its sheath 15-20 times a day to be used and I never have to fear that its not up for the task. Plus I live in an area where at any point I may come up on an angry or startled bear, mountain lion or boar and having a solid knife at my side feels right

That’s a pretty extreme example which serves to illustrate the limitation of the knife in that not many “jobs” out there would put the TGLB to full practical use from A to Z.

That being said, glad you were able to figure out ways to use the whole of the TGLB on a daily basics. :thumbsup:

IIRC, the TGLB was $337 when it came out and competition finish could be added for free.

IIRC, the TGLB was $337 when it came out and competition finish could be added for free.
I seem to recall there was a cost savings of $25.00 off the combat grade price. Comp Finish was the "Unfinished" rough version so less man hours involved in prep and coating.

Ever stop to think that maybe if they improved the design and make the choil a lot more accessible, that it will be even more popular than it is now? I still stand by it: It should’ve stayed on the drawing board.

Also, most of the popularity of this particular knife comes from the name. The name is what makes any design flaws more forgiving. Just in this case, even the name couldn’t save itself from its own design flaws.
...More accessible? ...And how does the name make it more popular? Do you know WHY they are called the Gemini 7/Team Gemini, the TG-M & the TG-P? ;)
Busse_TGCG-grip1.jpg
Busse_TGCG-grip2.jpg

This seems so incongruous to me. Why would it be the only one you would keep if it gets used the least?

Because I have a lot of knives so I use blades that are sized "appropriately" for the task at hand. A knife that's good for chopping isn't going to be my first choice for breasting out a duck, and vica-versa. If I had to pick a single one, It would be my pick.

Perfect! Thank you Jaxx for posting those pictures to allow me to illustrate my points!

As you can see from his pictures, when he tries to put his finger over to the choil, the hilt forces his fingers to spread open which makes for an unweilding hold which is not comfortable for long term finer tasks such as cutting food, carving wood, cutting things into finer pieces, etc despite the excellent blade shape and design that begs for those kinds of tasks.

Second, when one looks at the second picture showing the hilt prodding out next to the spine of the knife, you can see his thumb struggles to lay directly upon the spine of the knife. His thumb is instead shoved to the side of the knife’s spine which does not provide at all any optimal thumb positioning that would’ve supported the fingers that is in the choil area. This design is preventing the thumb from providing control support when cutting things that requires attention and care while cutting.

Imagine during the course of using the knife, the pressing metals in two different location will create discomfort the more you use the knife for cutting things via those two positions. If one is to argue that it’s not a knife for delicated cutting or what not, then they should have never bothered adding a choil in first place that openly invites you to use it despite having the hilt being in the way.

As one can see, the design flaws is very evident in the pictures provided by Jaxx. If Busse was able to remove the hilt design and/or somehow design a far better one that allows for a much more ideal choil and spine usage via our hands for delicated cutting, this knife will become an even more popular knife because the avenues of usages would increase quite a bit and help it become a more practical knife.

I seem to recall there was a cost savings of $25.00 off the combat grade price. Comp Finish was the "Unfinished" rough version so less man hours involved in prep and coating.

There wasn't a discount when I ordered my comp finish TGLB.

-Lady
Your point sounds like if a short person bought a Giant Lifted truck, than gripped about not being able to climb in it, or park it in Compact parking spots.
Not to be rude, but it sounds like instead of looking elsewhere for the solution, you want Busse to change the design of this particular model to suit your needs better ?
Judging by Ebay prices, or secounds TGLB"s last on the Exchange, Id say it left the drawing board at Exactly the right time.
Hope you find what you looking for, but in my opinion Jack of all trades Blades are usually masters of none. But TGLB is better than most for a wide variety of tasks.
U could use it for anything from Skinning a squirrel to battoning wood and chopping in a pinch might be pretty good as a Combat/self defense blade too lol

Perfect! Thank you Jaxx for posting those pictures to allow me to illustrate my points!

As you can see from his pictures, when he tries to put his finger over to the choil, the hilt forces his fingers to spread open which makes for an unweilding hold which is not comfortable for long term finer tasks such as cutting food, carving wood, cutting things into finer pieces, etc despite the excellent blade shape and design that begs for those kinds of tasks.

Second, when one looks at the second picture showing the hilt prodding out next to the spine of the knife, you can see his thumb struggles to lay directly upon the spine of the knife. His thumb is instead shoved to the side of the knife’s spine which does not provide at all any optimal thumb positioning that would’ve supported the fingers that is in the choil area. This design is preventing the thumb from providing control support when cutting things that requires attention and care while cutting.

Imagine during the course of using the knife, the pressing metals in two different location will create discomfort the more you use the knife for cutting things via those two positions. If one is to argue that it’s not a knife for delicated cutting or what not, then they should have never bothered adding a choil in first place that openly invites you to use it despite having the hilt being in the way.

As one can see, the design flaws is very evident in the pictures provided by Jaxx. If Busse was able to remove the hilt design and/or somehow design a far better one that allows for a much more ideal choil and spine usage via our hands for delicated cutting, this knife will become an even more popular knife because the avenues of usages would increase quite a bit and help it become a more practical knife.

Thank you for posting your reply to allow me to illuminate your assumptions.
1.) Other than squeezing the knife...didn't want to drop it on my bare feet while snapping pix with a full size dSLR left-handed, my hand is comfortable and at rest ergonomically. Both pix were taken together, only the hand rotated to show the thumb at rest.
2.)I am not trying anything... These pix were taken and posted by me after scoring this original TG at Blade in 2010 in reply to a similar concern. I would like to note here that at the Show in 2010, we might have heard of some upcoming zombie apocalypse TV show on AMC...but we had no idea whatsoever that this knife would ever be on it. In June of 2010, the expression would be more like, "Daryl who? Walking wut?" ...TWD prop scouts came to Jerry about using the TG...he did not go to them, just sayin'.
3.) Hate to say it, the TG is a comfortable knife for me and my medium sized hands despite your claims based on my images... No part of my hand is forced, spread uncomfortably, shoved, prevented, or otherwise in some unwieldy position when in any position of use, including choking up and using the choil, and I've used this model plenty enough in 7 years that there are no assumptions made here.

Design flaws...strong language. :) But hey, perhaps you have more knifemaking experience than Mr. Busse & his 30+ years...lol ;)
Still waiting for the name bringing the popularity, and why they were named what they are.
...And perhaps an INFI Desert Storm Fighter might be more to your liking.
Something for the most delicate work? I carry a slipjoint for that.
Quick demos from the same photoshoot back in 2010 for the Forum.
Busse_TGCGa.jpg Busse_TGCGc.jpg Busse_TGCG-wood5.jpg Busse_TGCG-wood4.jpg Busse_TGCG-wood2-1.jpg Busse_TGCG-woodahavings2.jpg Busse_TGCG-woodahavings1.jpg

-Lady
Your point sounds like if a short person bought a Giant Lifted truck, than gripped about not being able to climb in it, or park it in Compact parking spots.
Not to be rude, but it sounds like instead of looking elsewhere for the solution, you want Busse to change the design of this particular model to suit your needs better ?
Judging by Ebay prices, or secounds TGLB"s last on the Exchange, Id say it left the drawing board at Exactly the right time.
Hope you find what you looking for, but in my opinion Jack of all trades Blades are usually masters of none. But TGLB is better than most for a wide variety of tasks.
U could use it for anything from Skinning a squirrel to battoning wood and chopping in a pinch might be pretty good as a Combat/self defense blade too lol

It’s very evident that you’re ignoring the actual physical reality I pointed out via Jaxx’s help. It does not matter whose hands (regardless of size) it is that grips the TGLB; the hilt will still provide the constant design flaw when a person attempts to use the choil and blade spine for finer cutting tasks. By removing the hilt and/or improving the hilt into some other form, the knife will become even more practical for everyone and I dare say, become even more popular. As it sits, the “full” use of the TGLB is highly unlikely because most people aren’t ranch workers or Boar hunters in Texas or even going to war with the knife in some Muslim country (I wont mention the Walking Dead since thats not based in reality).

I could dare say that the hilt design gives the impression of a Mall Ninja knife design; it’s there for sake of being there visually with little else of practical use.

What’s so hard to comprehend such objective criticism? Just look at Jaxx’s fingers/thumb placements and realize that the hilt is preventing the knife from being a fully functional utility knife.

Lastly, “not to be rude”, but it sounds like you want me to stray off the thread’s topic and derail the thread with different non-related discussion. Sorry to disappoint you but I prefer to respect OP’s thread by staying on topic. ;)

Lady & Crosier

It is apparent that you do not like the TG family and we all know that every Busse deserves a loving home. So I offer to take any and all of your unloved TG'S off your hands at a fair market value.

Thank you for posting your reply to allow me to illuminate your assumptions.
1.) Other than squeezing the knife...didn't want to drop it on my bare feet while snapping pix with a full size dSLR left-handed, my hand is comfortable and at rest ergonomically. Both pix were taken together, only the hand rotated to show the thumb at rest.
2.)I am not trying anything... These pix were taken and posted by me after scoring this original TG at Blade in 2010 in reply to a similar concern. I would like to note here that at the Show in 2010, we might have heard of some upcoming zombie apocalypse TV show on AMC...but we had no idea whatsoever that this knife would ever be on it. In June of 2010, the expression would be more like, "Daryl who? Walking wut?" ...TWD prop scouts came to Jerry about using the TG...he did not go to them, just sayin'.
3.) Hate to say it, the TG is a comfortable knife for me and my medium sized hands despite your claims based on my images... No part of my hand is forced, spread uncomfortably, shoved, prevented, or otherwise in some unwieldy position when in any position of use, including choking up and using the choil, and I've used this model plenty enough in 7 years that there are no assumptions made here.

Design flaws...strong language. :) But hey, perhaps you have more knifemaking experience than Mr. Busse & his 30+ years...lol ;)
Still waiting for the name bringing the popularity, and why they were named what they are.
...And perhaps an INFI Desert Storm Fighter might be more to your liking.
Something for the most delicate work? I carry a slipjoint for that.
Quick demos from the same photoshoot back in 2010 for the Forum.
View attachment 770420 View attachment 770427 View attachment 770432 View attachment 770433 View attachment 770441 View attachment 770442 View attachment 770443

Thank you for providing me more evidences of my points.

You flip floppped between treating the TGLB as a heavy duty knife that does not do finer tasks based on #3 of your statement because if you actually used it for finer tasks, your fingers and thumbs would have cease using the knife to give your fingers/thumb a break from the unweilding pressure from the hilt. If you have actually used it for 7 years, you would have observed the issues upon your fingers/thumbs after whittling for more than 15 minutes to an hour or even more. But hey! By agreeing with me, you would actually feel like you’re belittling your TGLB so it’s better to deny it, right? :thumbsup:

And #1, your “thumb at rest” is just that, at rest. But the real test is when it has to try and control the blade from the spine with the hilt prodding into the side of your thumb. It will no longer feel at rest but feel bothered due to the unnatural placement of the hilt.

#2 is irreverent to this thread. But then again....if this knife was made for the Walking Dead, then that explains even more the Mall Ninja design and why it wont be changed out; it was purely for theater purpose. That also further proves that it should’ve stayed on the design board because this is not a practical design by Busse standard or rather stay in the tv show The Walking Dead.

If you would like to assume things about my experience vs Mr Busse, then go on ahead; seems subjectivity with embellishments added in for extra measure is you prefer cup of tea while I rather operate with objectivity when looking at the design of things around me. I still stand by my observation and yes, I had personal hands on experience with the TGLB as well as my Husband and his outdoor friends. They all came to the same conclusion as me and others in this thread.

But hey! It’s a Busse knife, we dare not say a negative feedback regarding anything of the Busse Brand; It’s blasphemy and sinful! :rolleyes:

P.s. Thank you for your original pictures: it helped me illustrate the very design flaw in such a clear crisp fashion, even tho it was not your intention to help me out. (Don’t worry, I wont tell anyone that you helped me against the Busse TGLB knife) ;)

Lady & Crosier

It is apparent that you do not like the TG family and we all know that every Busse deserves a loving home. So I offer to take any and all of your unloved TG'S off your hands at a fair market value.

Don’t worry, I sold it a long time ago and never looked back.

Don’t worry, I sold it a long time ago and never looked back.
Then stop whining and move on. Myself and others have no issues with using the choil to do more delicate work and the knife is strong enough for the tougher jobs. It is a very fast fighting knife forward or reverse grip. So just find the ONE that suits you.

I'm done feeding the troll. :rolleyes:

The Tgbg had a wicked comfy handle. I sold that one but was excited when Busse offered the tga2. I got one of those on order, I'm looking forward to using it for camping and fire pit work as well as some yard work.

Getting heated in here... :confused:

I don't have a TGLB, or an original, but I love my BGTG, my TG-M and my TG-P! Yes, they look cool, is there something wrong with that? :cool:

I can understand people not liking the guard on the spine--I generally hate double guards myself--but I personally don't find them to be as much of an issue on the TG series when carving. The bigger issue in this case is that I have fairly obtuse angles on my TGs. ;) The double guard absolutely does have a purpose, however. Try stabbing through something tough (like body armor) and you'll understand.

Bottom line is that a TG is not primarily a carving/bushcrafting knife... it can fill this role, but you can find many Busse designs that will do it better... what it is, is a wonderfully balanced combat/survival knife with that can withstand bomb blasts, feels great in the hand (double guard notwithstanding, I find it has probably one of the 5 most comfortable handles I've ever held), and do pretty much anything you would ask it to. (Just look at HonorEarth's post!) All this while looking dead sexy. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back