Tech Bowie surprising.

I got a new tech bowie and thought i would give it a go with some basic fire work. I only baton kindling so i was a bit surprised at how it took a while to get through a 1.25 inch piece. Yhen i realized how hard it was and had twisted grain. It got through it...but i was genuinly worried about the blade breaking due to the hollow grind. All good. Did brilliant making some curls but the most surprising thing was the amount of sparks it tnrew from a ferro rod..even with the tini coating. A heavy knife....great feel. Just wish it wasn' t so much of a hollow grind. But love it.

Didn't realize they were making them in a hollow grind, I have a couple of the old Tech Is (Seki made) that were saber grind, as well as my SF model (much older Seki) and a relitively newer Tech I with the black coated blade. All have saber grinds and not a hollow grind.

Yeah, I think it makes an excellent slicer and far more practical for fighting, not that it's common. But that being said, it's just my opinion because I have used it for camping and it has never even come close to failure. Love 'em.

They're a solid, well built knife. I'd contact SOG as I've never heard of a hollow grind on them, I don't believe I've ever seen any of their models with a hollow grind but than its been some years since acquiring any.

Geez, you blokes. I had to go and get it, (Gave me a good reason to play with it) and I have 2, both the same. There is a slight hollow grind. I even checked with the Missus.
This is from the SOG website regarding the tech bowie: The thick (0.24") AUS-8 blade is topped off the same blade grind as the SOG Bowie.
then from the same SOG website regarding the Bowie 2.0: The sculpted crossguard, deep hollow grinds and precision detailing, and faceted tip are unmistakable signatures.
I know I am a nut case but I had to check.
PS: I absolutley love SOG knives.

Maybe the newer Taiwan made ones went hollow at some point, all the Seki versions I've seen and have are flat/saber.

I have to disagree, even my Seki made Santa Monica SOG Bowie is hollow ground. They don't come any earlier than that.

Back