Techie Help Needed- Forum Related

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
I want to do more of those facebook live videos. Here is the problem though. I can't shoot video and hold the camera. AND you don't get a birds eye view. Plus, if the grinder is running and the mask is on, narration is impossible.

So here is what I need. I need to figure out how to fit a mask with a camera, and also how to rig up a mike within the mask. This way I could talk and video the entire time I'm grinding and making knives. I could teach knifemaking online in a whole new way with this system.

Anybody an expert at video/sound?

That's a great idea I wish I had the technical knowledge to help you. There are tens of thousands of people making YouTube videos some of them must have that knowledge and be willing to help. Thanks for thinking of the people

Andy I use a GoPro when I do guided turkey hunts and Kayak trips
I would think a go pro attached to your mask with a mic wire run into the mask would be a great place to start
The video quality and sound is fairly good
Rob
GoPro and a mic sounds like a good idea!

This obviously wouldn't work for live videos, but if you were actually interested in making instructional videos, I know a lot of people will record the video and then record a voice over to explain the process.

That could be an option if you wanted to do some more permanent instructional videos. For the live feed, I think just sticking a mic in your mask is going to be the best option. I think there are bluetooth and wireless mics that may be up to the task for live videos.

Write down all of your thoughts, ideas, and bulletin points. Edit them to be as concise as possible, while still retaining the message.

Record with no audio, and edit your video to lay your audio track down. This will give you a cleaner sounding video. Add an immense amount of prefessionalism, while making it so everyone can hear you cleanly. You will also be making it so you aren't fumbling words, stammering, or using as many crutch words (like, um, uh, etc).

Beat of luck.

The GoPro is a good idea. You can figure out a way to attach it to your head somehow. You can also try to find a long pole to attach it to. The problem would be the mic. A wired mic would sacrifice the integrity of your mask and I don't believe there is a wireless mic that would fit inside your mask. Wireless mics of that size usually attach to a transmitter pack that you would attach to your belt so technically there is still a wire.

There are bug style mics but the sound quality would still be bad considering how close to your mouth the mic would be. I would think having a mic in the mask would still sound muted and mumbly. If your doing a live video you might want to consider having someone else narrate the video. They could use a handheld mic and probably still be heard and understood through a mask.

The other option would be to do as NJBILK and Odaon said and pre-record a video that isn't live and overdub the narration in a program like iMovie or something.

A mic in the mask is going to suffer some sound quality issues. Perhaps consider a narration track during video editing.

Yea, the problem with taking video and editing is that we were spending a ton of time editing, a thing none of us have much proclivity for. Live videos are the best for us. I figured the sound quality would be less than ideal, but I was hoping it would be bearable. In addition, I think a true birds eye view would be better even than the go-pro mount. I think the camera would be too far from my eyes and the angle would not work to show minutia of grinding tips. I was thinking of a camera mounted in a pair of readers that are screwed to my mask and a mike inside the mask. The wire skirting through the seal on my mask I'm less worried about. The amount of time I'd be miked up, etc, would be minimal IMO. There are things I can't show, even in person because the GA guild suffer from these same limitations. I just want to avoid having to buy several cameras and mikes while figuring out a good config.

Fiddleback Fiddleback Another thing you can look into is a military throat mic. I honestly dont know anything about the sound quality but it wont need to go in your mask.

Well I figure I better chime in since my name is VideoTim.

As far as the live video, maybe look for some kind of sticky or magnetic mounts you could stick the phone/camera to while you are grinding. One over head and one straight on. You or someone else could move the camera fairly quickly from mount to mount. Also if there are things you cannot show maybe have a 3rd mount aimed at a logo or “cut scene”. Then you could move to that view when needed. Audio will be tough with a helmet on. Not sure how safe any mic cable would be while grinding. The throat mic idea Onedog had might be the ticket.

If you’re looking to edit multicam video, that will def be a little bigger task but give much higher quality videos. You could shoot it all on maybe 3 camera and record the natural sound while working then go back and cut a clean voice over to mix it. Maybe keep a little natural working sound to mix really low with the vo. Match it up to whatever camera has the best shot at the time. Piece of cake. If you’re ever looking to do something like this, I’d love to work with you guys. I’ve been editing videos for 20 years now. You could even shoot the shots yourselves and then upload them to me to edit.

Hope this helps a little.

I'll look into these suggestions. I've never heard of a throat mike.

"You will also be making it so you aren't fumbling words, stammering, or using as many crutch words (like, um, uh, etc)."------SHIT! DAMMIT!! Now where did that piece fly off to?.....

Sorry, maybe those are my crutch words.

Bill

Back