Techniques for fixing scratches?

How do you all repair, fix or otherwise disguise a scratch you get in leather? Say you are building a sheath and you are almost done. You just need to bevel an edge or two then the tool slips across the face of the sheath leaving a scratch. What do you folks do to repair that?

Hmmm, If these guys are as busy as I am, we have to make time to sit and type on the computer. Its not always in that first day, and its not always priority.
There is a simple remedy, or two actually. If your making this sheath for yourself and dont mind a mark because your going to make marks eventually then your good, keep on going. If your making this sheath for a customer, well, your going to take it apart and start over again, or if your willing to sell damaged goods your good to go.
Your not going to be able to "fix" a scratch to where it wont show. Believe me I've tried and it only ends in frustration.

Agreed, if ya have cut the surface of the leather. If its more of a slight abrasion I have used several different conditions to hmmm, make it go away and have had success. Skidmore's and Blackrock seem to be the best in my experience for this. Its really gonna depend on the degree I guess.

Thank you gentlemen. I'm busy too which is why I was anxious to see some input. I apologize if it was a bit rushed. It's an abrasion.

Dave, where can I find the products you mentioned? Are they leather conditioners or what? Are there any particular tricks for using them like wetting or burnishing?

This incident happened to a personal sheath. I'm not going to use it anyway. I would not accept it for a customer. I have made a new sheath for a customer in the past just because I pulled one stitch too deep. I'm just asking as a general technique for future use.

Thanks Dave! What is your opinion about Saddle Soap for this application?

How do you all repair, fix or otherwise disguise a scratch you get in leather? Say you are building a sheath and you are almost done. You just need to bevel an edge or two then the tool slips across the face of the sheath leaving a scratch. What do you folks do to repair that?

why would you want to repair a scratch? are you talking about a cut across the leather surface? or are you talking about walking through the brush and a small branch dragged across the sheath? because thats all apart of breaking in the sheath, general wear and tear --- fix one scratch you'll get another right away. instead of fixing a scratch, try to polish it and remove the "burs" from new "daily activity"

Back