TechStudio K01 Profile Sharpening System

I have read all of the posts here and am more than interested. I would like to see one if possible. Are any of you in north Georgia between Chattanooga and Atlanta that might let me visit and see one in operation.

1) From what I can see, it does not look like flipping the blade with the K1 system is that hard. So, is it really worth the extra money for the K2?
2) With respect to the upgrade....is that worth it?
3) Is it only an upgrade for the K2 or can it be put on the K1?
4) Do you have one?
5) If so, which one and do you think it is worth the money?

I personally did not like the idea of having to reach under a sharp blade to unscrew a knob and then rotate the blade. When you get to where you are only doing a stroke or 2 per side during finishing you might want the ability to easily flip what you are sharpening. If you are higher up than the unit reaching under would also be a pain every time.

If you do a lot of sharpening on different sized objects and a lot of different angles it might be nice to have but for me personally it is not worth it. I get 98% of my angle adjustment out of the fine adjustment thread. I am not sure if it could be put on the K01, you would have to ask TSprof that.

I have the K02 model that I received last year. Do I think it is worth the money? That is a difficult to answer question. Right now you can only get one from Russia and shipping will be $80+ and a very long wait due to a lot of orders creating a long lead time. Shipping itself is very fast, only a few days. This means that if you need a replacement part or upgrade you will pay a lot in shipping. TSProf is working on getting a US distributor to alleviate these problems. I have been waiting for that to happen to order the upgrade spring kit.

If you have somewhere you can clamp the unit, or you make your own base you can save money on buying the pre made steel base unit, although it is actually quite nice. If you will be sharpening scissors, the TSProf scissor jig is cheaper than any other maker.

Given all that, the construction of the unit is pretty much bomb proof. You could very easily be handing this down the generations. I personally think it is worth it but you will need to think about whether this is what you need or if a cheaper smaller system like the KME is a better fit for you.

I have tried most of the cheaper systems and that is what they are cheap!! Yes it is worth it and worth the wait I got the K02 just because there was no K03 at that time. I would buy the latest and greatest that is available. If you buy it and don't like it you could easily sell it and get your money back plus a little extra I would think as not having a 2 or 3 month wait should bring a premium. I love mine and Paul is great to deal with.

I personally did not like the idea of having to reach under a sharp blade to unscrew a knob and then rotate the blade. When you get to where you are only doing a stroke or 2 per side during finishing you might want the ability to easily flip what you are sharpening. If you are higher up than the unit reaching under would also be a pain every time.

If you do a lot of sharpening on different sized objects and a lot of different angles it might be nice to have but for me personally it is not worth it. I get 98% of my angle adjustment out of the fine adjustment thread. I am not sure if it could be put on the K01, you would have to ask TSprof that.

I have the K02 model that I received last year. Do I think it is worth the money? That is a difficult to answer question. Right now you can only get one from Russia and shipping will be $80+ and a very long wait due to a lot of orders creating a long lead time. Shipping itself is very fast, only a few days. This means that if you need a replacement part or upgrade you will pay a lot in shipping. TSProf is working on getting a US distributor to alleviate these problems. I have been waiting for that to happen to order the upgrade spring kit.

If you have somewhere you can clamp the unit, or you make your own base you can save money on buying the pre made steel base unit, although it is actually quite nice. If you will be sharpening scissors, the TSProf scissor jig is cheaper than any other maker.

Given all that, the construction of the unit is pretty much bomb proof. You could very easily be handing this down the generations. I personally think it is worth it but you will need to think about whether this is what you need or if a cheaper smaller system like the KME is a better fit for you.

Thanks for all of this. One thing that I was wondering about is for someone who does professional sharpening who uses the Wicked Sharp system, since that sharpens two sides at once, does it have an advantage over this one...or, is the setup so much faster on this one that it would save time in the long run. I have never used the Wicked Sharp which is why I ask.

Happy Memorial Day to everyone!

On April 28th I said:
"As an idea to save shipping costs from Russia for small accessories, could some kind member accumulate a bulk order from other members, front the costs and then get reimbursed + a very small handling charge?"

Well, since nobody else is willing to do this, I'm trying to arrange for a large order. :)

Once I make the arrangements, place the order and have a date for the arrival of the items, I'll let everyone know what I can do
to help you all out. I plan on charging the same price as on the TSProf configurator + actual U.S. shipping cost + $5 handling fee.

What do you think? Which items would you order but don't want to pay exorbitant shipping cost?

Okay, only one person interested at this point and for an item that isn't in stock, yet. I'm going to wait one week and unless there are lots of people who would buy the accessories, I won't risk losing thousands of dollars on a bulk order.

BTW, I just found out from Spark, the site owner, that I would have to upgrade to a dealer subscription for $350 to be able to do this. Sorry guys, I wanted to help, but this is impossible. I could qualify for a 401(c) not-for-profit classification.

Last edited:
Andrew124c41, please be aware that that was exactly what I tried to do. But, the forum rules, if you read them, states unequivocally that bulk purchases followed by resale of those items requires a Dealer subscription. I asked Spark, the owner
of BladeForums for a waiver, but he repeated the rule and said he was sorry.

So, please be aware that if you try what you posted you will probably be banned from BladeForums.

On a similar note to my reply above, I am going to upgrade my subscription to Dealer just as soon as my change of username goes through. I have created a business (LLC) and will be selling Tech Studio products. You shall receive honest, reliable products and service and, as well, frequent updates on your order status from my company. Website is under development and stock is already ordered. Stay tuned!
George

Andrew124c41, please be aware that that was exactly what I tried to do. But, the forum rules, if you read them, states unequivocally that bulk purchases followed by resale of those items requires a Dealer subscription. I asked Spark, the owner
of BladeForums for a waiver, but he repeated the rule and said he was sorry.

So, please be aware that if you try what you posted you will probably be banned from BladeForums.

This is exactly right- I moved Andrew124c41's post to the back end.

byde. Please explain what just happened. I am not a dealer. Someone suggested a "bulk buy." I suggested that they purchase directly from the owner in Russia and simply offered to receive the bulk order and mail to the individuals for the cost of shipping. I was simply volunteering to do a job...without pay I might add. So, what is the problem? I am a physician. I really do not need to be in the knife business. How do you PM here buy the way?

In any case, if I cannot do it, I assume George will be able to do it.

byde. Please explain what just happened. I am not a dealer. Someone suggested a "bulk buy." I suggested that they purchase directly from the owner in Russia and simply offered to receive the bulk order and mail to the individuals for the cost of shipping. I was simply volunteering to do a job...without pay I might add. So, what is the problem? I am a physician. I really do not need to be in the knife business. How do you PM here buy the way?

In any case, if I cannot do it, I assume George will be able to do it.

I moved your post to an area where only the moderators of this site can see it.
As was explained by P-nuts, who inquired about this officially in tech support to do much the same as you were wanting to do.
The official word is that you need to be a paying dealer to Bladeforums to accomplish this.

Read more about it here; http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spark-helping-blade-forums-members-with-tsprofil-items.1496232/

On a similar note to my reply above, I am going to upgrade my subscription to Dealer just as soon as my change of username goes through. I have created a business (LLC) and will be selling Tech Studio products. You shall receive honest, reliable products and service and, as well, frequent updates on your order status from my company. Website is under development and stock is already ordered. Stay tuned!
George

Well, That's certainly good news as I think $50.00 to ship a $8.00 part that weighs a ounce or less from Russia could be construed as taking advantage of the situation. I confess I am no expert in international shipping but I would think you could do it for less if you really wanted to. But when your the only game in town there is no incentive to do better.

P-nuts put me down for a K02 heavy duty single spring once your up and running.

Well, That's certainly good news as I think $50.00 to ship a $8.00 part that weighs a ounce or less from Russia could be construed as taking advantage of the situation. I confess I am no expert in international shipping but I would think you could do it for less if you really wanted to. But when your the only game in town there is no incentive to do better.

P-nuts put me down for a K02 heavy duty single spring once your up and running.

Duly noted. Got 40 coming.

I've received my demo unit (K02).
Still waiting for Username Change so
I can upgrade to Dealer, start advertsing and taking pre-orders.

I went ahead and upgraded to Dealer subscription. Please note the name of the company is S.T.A.T.E.S. I'm hoping to get
a posting in the Dealer area tonight or tomorrow so you can start pre-ordering Wranglerstar kits and accessories. Stay tuned! :)

George

I have read all of the posts here and am more than interested. I would like to see one if possible. Are any of you in north Georgia between Chattanooga and Atlanta that might let me visit and see one in operation.

Acedog, We're in northwest South Carolina and have relatives in Marietta. We are going to get together at the Commerce, GA
exit Cracker Barrel on I-85 the week of the 4th of July. I can bring the K02 demo to let you see and try it, if you want to meet us there. If you do, I'll let you know which day that week, but for sure around lunch time.
George

S.T.A.T.E.S. has made it's first post in "For Sale by Dealers" forum under "Gadgets & gear".

Please read the post to get the latest news and to find out how to pre-order Wranglerstar kits and accessories.
I will spread the cost of shipping from Russia as correctly as possible across the bulk order of accessories so that you
will be able to get them very much cheaper than if you paid individual shipping. Example: Reinforced spring for K02 single clamp
for $9 + U.S. shipping a few ounces vs $8 + possibly $30-$50 from Tech Studio. Stay tuned for more!

Back