TechStudio K01 Profile Sharpening System

I had placed an order directly with their site at the beginning of February for a bunch of attachments I had been wanting. Nikita had asked me to advise the size of my fixing units, but I didn't understand what he was referencing as this question came in the middle of a back and forth about replacement screws for my filet clamp.

I just received an advertisement email from tsprof Sharpening announcing their new "whole milled clamps", Lansky abrasive adapter, and the aluminum frame. When I saw the picture of the new "whole milled clamps," which I had ordered I realized what a fixing unit was and that the design had changed. I've emailed their customer support to get more details, but I'll probably not hear back until Sunday night/Monday morning.

Shouldn't it be possible to upgrade the "k02 double clamp style bar" with the new ridged version and then upgrade the fixing units on the old clamping accessories?
It was not possible to replace the Gen 1 bar using the two piece steel fixing unit with the Gen 2 bar that worked with the one piece aluminum fixing unit. It is probably not possible to replace the Gen 2 with the Gen 3. Also, if it were possible, all the old clamps would have to be replaced with the Gen 3 saddle style clamps. Be aware that often the hole pattern in the springs change too and render impossible the reuse of older reinforced springs.
George

I hope when I get mine, there is some documentation describing and identifying the parts. Some of the terminology I am hearing is unfamiliar, such as "fixing unit". It's probably something screwy about translation from Russian to English.

Unless they write a new manual, there is no glossary of terms. The fixing unit is their term for the fitting between the slotted bar and the springs of the clamp. It is called that because it affixes the jaws to the bar that rotates. BTW, one of the many advantages of buying from S.T.A.T.E.S., LLC is US technical support by a native English speaking American as well as a US warranty. Another advantage is your card is not charged until your item ships.
George

I just tried a Gen 3 Fixing unit with a old standard spring that came with my K02 and spring's will work with a Gen 3 fixing unit.

I just tried a Gen 3 Fixing unit with a old standard spring that came with my K02 and spring's will work with a Gen 3 fixing unit.
Thanks for checking that out, Wade. This is good information. Let's call that the Gen 2 spring. The only difference between the standard and reinforced springs is the thickness, so both should work, then. I'll set up a Knowledge Base on our website so we don't lose this kind of data.
George

From what I can see unless they changed the thread size on the shaft I don't see why the newer style Crossbar won't fit an older style K02 that use's Gen 2 Fixing Unit's.

I hope they thought that part threw for anyone that would want to upgrade and get new Fixing unit's and their new Whole Milled Clamp's that way you can at least run some of the newer and more current part's.

Unless they write a new manual, there is no glossary of terms. The fixing unit is their term for the fitting between the slotted bar and the springs of the clamp. It is called that because it affixes the jaws to the bar that rotates. BTW, one of the many advantages of buying from S.T.A.T.E.S., LLC is US technical support by a native English speaking American as well as a US warranty. Another advantage is your card is not charged until your item ships.
George
Ok, got that. I spent a couple of years in Turkey, back in the early 70's and understand how things are when being translated. I also ordered from you because you have much more experience in dealing with a Russian company than I. I made an ebay purchase from an individual in Russia a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare, the package finally came through but not after a lot of problems, not on his part but their postal system.

Thanks for checking that out, Wade. This is good information. Let's call that the Gen 2 spring. The only difference between the standard and reinforced springs is the thickness, so both should work, then. I'll set up a Knowledge Base on our website so we don't lose this kind of data.
George
Will the reinforced springs fit the new K03, or does it come with them?

The hole pattern is the same for regular and reinforced springs, so 2nd Gen springs will fit the 3rd Gen K02 and K03.

To explain about reinforced springs, they are not a correction for weak springs, they are for people who want to apply more pressure when they are sharpening. I personally do not apply that much force and do just fine with the regular springs. Reinforced springs deflect 1/2 the distance of regular springs for the same force.
George

Notification: Sales have restarted on clamps and scissors attachments. Only 3rd Gen versions are available.

Information on fixing units: There are three generations of fixing units. As far as S.T.A.T.E.S. can determine the 1st Gen was prior to July 2017, the 2nd Gen was Aug to mid-Dec 2017 and 3rd Gen after mid-Dec 2017. See a picture from Tech Studio below that shows them and the dimensions:
[left to right 3rd, 2nd and 1st Gen]. ...George at S.T.A.T.E.S., LLC
fixing unit sizes.png

Last edited:
To answer your question it does not come with reinforced spring's they must be purchased separately,I use them for 2 reason's on steels like S110v the Vanadium in the steel get's to about 80 to 82 Rockwell hardness from the heat treating and with some steels I find you need to use a little more pressure,the second reason I like the reinforced spring's is because they do not deflect as more as the standard spring's witch means you will get a more accurate edge as well.

No matter what the steel is you do not want to use anymore pressure then you need to when sharpening you will get a more refined edge and that is what your after sure.

To answer your question it does not come with reinforced spring's they must be purchased separately,I use them for 2 reason's on steels like S110v the Vanadium in the steel get's to about 80 to 82 Rockwell hardness from the heat treating and with some steels I find you need to use a little more pressure,the second reason I like the reinforced spring's is because they do not deflect as more as the standard spring's witch means you will get a more accurate edge as well.

No matter what the steel is you do not want to use anymore pressure then you need to when sharpening you will get a more refined edge and that is what your after sure.

Thanks, that answers my question, and for pictures of fixing units, Now I understand what that is.

If you don't have a K02 yet but are planning on getting one I would purchase the reinforced spring's and install them right away,I got one from the factory where the one screw was tightened down and the others where loose and the screw stripped trying to get out and I had to put a slot in the button head with a Dremel tool and turn it out with a slot head screwdriver.

The best way to deal with stripped holes on the K02's fixing unit's is to use a 4MM bolt that goes all the way threw fixing unit and use a half nut on the other side,I have ordered some 18 and 20mm long bolt's from ebay and some what they call half nut's and full nut's,the 18 or 20mm should be long enough if not I guess I'll go longer as there is plenty of room where the stone clear's the crossbar even with the mast adjusted at it's lowest point.

Last edited:
kreychan if you want my honest opinion on screws for the K02 order them from either of these guys on ebay they both sell good screws and I have used them before with no problem's at all.
I have purchased the ones from China and they can take a while to get to but for the money you save they are worth the wait,just so you know on the K02 they use 3mm and 4mm screws as far as the thread size goes there is nothing different.

If you do not know how to tell the length of the screw very well the best way I find is with a pair of digital calipers and use the flat bar that slides out when you open the jaws all you do slide the jaws back closed until screw touch's the end of the calipers and then you know your length,just so you know as well for a reference a 4mm x 12 cap head measures out at 11.82mm for some reason and I find that all screws always measure a bit short for some reason,if it measured 11.30 then it would be an 11mm screw I find if it goes past .60 I always round the number higher.

From these 2 links they have all the screws you would ever need for changing the screws that go into the clamp's or the fixing unit's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Metric...-M6-M8-/173040336555?var=&hash=item6dd9c75d2f

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-M3-M...w-Bolt-/173030037865?var=&hash=item6dd948901f

If you want the Button Head screws to last buy a these wrench's in these size's,2mm 2.5mm and 3mm I used to use these wrench's when I built and ran RC Cars tat you put together yourself and they really do make button and flat hex screws last longer,the shaft's on these are extremely precise and are ground from drill blank material I have wrench's that are 15 years old and still fit a new screw head as tight as the day I purchased them.

This is a 1.5mm wrench I choose this because they put the paper on the shaft and then the heat shrink to hold it in place that way you can see how you can tell the wrench's apart.
Just type Mip Thorp in ebay and they will come up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIP-9007-T...368995&hash=item1eb80eec9e:g:JCEAAOSwPIhaBHaF

I had placed an order directly with their site at the beginning of February for a bunch of attachments I had been wanting. Nikita had asked me to advise the size of my fixing units, but I didn't understand what he was referencing as this question came in the middle of a back and forth about replacement screws for my filet clamp.

I just received an advertisement email from tsprof Sharpening announcing their new "whole milled clamps", Lansky abrasive adapter, and the aluminum frame. When I saw the picture of the new "whole milled clamps," which I had ordered I realized what a fixing unit was and that the design had changed. I've emailed their customer support to get more details, but I'll probably not hear back until Sunday night/Monday morning.

Shouldn't it be possible to upgrade the "k02 double clamp style bar" with the new ridged version and then upgrade the fixing units on the old clamping accessories?

Also kreychan and anyone else reading this message feel free to email me anytime if you need to know the length of any screw for the K02 in regards to the fixing unit's or what screw's go into the jaws that tighten them down.If you do end up getting a new crossbar invest in enough screws to replace the screws that hold the spring's to the fixing unit's,I find on M3 and M4 button heads if you use an L wrench or the wrench's that come with the K02 thy deform the socket every time you use them and then you strip the socket and then you need to use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and make a slot in the button head and turn it out with a lot screw driver.

My email is wadenorton2008@yahoo.ca

Also kreychan I talked to Paul at TSprof and he told me the new crossbar will fit older K02's as I wanted to get the crossbar for mine,I have a K02 that use's the 10mm fixing unit's and from what I understand if you have an older K02 or K03 it must use the 10mm fixing unit's to upgrade it.If you look at the K02 in this link the crossbar is held on the backside with a collar that is milled out and won't work.

https://bladeforums.com/threads/k02-the-microbevel-king.1555235/

Wade, did you find out how much the new crossbar would cost? and the cost of the new fixing units? I am thinking about upgrading mine too, if the cost is not excessive.

The Crossbar is 20 US and 4 of the fixing unit's is 48 US,they need to have a program in place where if your buying a new a new crossbar they should to upgrade your K02 they should be discounting the price of the fixing unit's when you purchase the crossbar.

I'm new this forum and I have been thinking of getting some new clamps for my K03 directly from techstudio are they fast at shipping stuff out.

The Crossbar is 20 US and 4 of the fixing unit's is 48 US,they need to have a program in place where if your buying a new a new crossbar they should to upgrade your K02 they should be discounting the price of the fixing unit's when you purchase the crossbar.

Thank you. I may do this in the future.

I'm new this forum and I have been thinking of getting some new clamps for my K03 directly from techstudio are they fast at shipping stuff out.

I would not say fast, it depends on how backed up they are, production, etc. Once they ship it out, it will take up to 2 weeks to get to your house. Just order, then be patient. You will get it eventually, and it will be more than worth the wait. Try to order everything you think you may want or need in one order. Shipping from Russia is not cheap or fast.

Back