TechStudio K01 Profile Sharpening System

Yes STATES and Profile-Knife both stock all the accessories you can also order a new Cross Bar and Fixing unit's to upgrade your K02 if you want.

Do any of the US retailers stock accessories? I'm kicking myself for not getting a couple of things and now they've changed the mounting arm, so the attachments are different.

Great news! All items, except the plastic carrying case, are now in stock. Orders placed by noon ship the same day.

George

Dealers:
Let's please take all further advertising of what's in stock and when it will ship to the relevant dealer area of the exchange.

This will allow for discussion of the product, its pros and cons here...exactly as this forum was intended and not turn it into a bazaar.

Forum members, please contact the appropriate dealers regarding purchasing and availability either directly or via their listings in the dealer section linked above.

Thanks to all for your cooperation.

Dealers:
Let's please take all further advertising of what's in stock and when it will ship to the relevant dealer area of the exchange.

This will allow for discussion of the product, its pros and cons here...exactly as this forum was intended and not turn it into a bazaar.

Forum members, please contact the appropriate dealers regarding purchasing and availability either directly or via their listings in the dealer section linked above.

Thanks to all for your cooperation.
I will, obviously, comply. However, the reason I post the info here is that in 12 months, I've never had anyone reply to or ask questions in the other forum. Very few even follow my multiple postings in the Exchange area. Furthermore, most people don't even know which part of the Exchange area is for knife sharpeners. On this thread my posts have been seen about 10,000 times in the same period. I've answered numerous questions and kept everyone informed as well as passed information for product improvements to the manufacturer as a result. Moderator, please ask Sparks to help us all out by making "Sharpeners" part of the rubric title and not "Gadgets and Gear". Thank you in advance. George

Edited: I just checked the actual count. Instead of 10,000 that should be 63,000 times. The count was 95,000 when I first became a dealer solely to help the Bladeforums members.

Last edited:
Please feel free to participate in the discussion of the product, both pro and con...and to answer questions that our members may have regarding how it works, how to deal with issues they may have encountered, etc.

Also, feel free to have a link in your signature to your site and / or a thread in the exchange where the relevant item can be purchased. (We only ask that it be reasonable in terms of size and "in your face" factor.)

We are not trying to prevent your participation, we are trying to keep the Discussion forums separate from the commerce to be conducted within the Exchange.

It is clear from even a cursory reading of this thread who the vendors are that sell the product and peripherals...and how to contact them.

Thanks for your understanding. We certainly want all of our vendors, dealers, craftsmen, service providers and makers to be successful.

Dear Moderator,
I can't help but notice that since we all started following your guideline, there has not been a single post in 14 days. Prior to us following the guideline, there were several posts each day. I will continue to abide by your direction, however, I feel that we have repressed/suppressed healthy open discussion, albeit somewhat disjointed at times.
Thank you.
George

PS Still, despite three more threads started in the Dealers section, there hasn't been a single inquiry on them.

Dear Moderator,
I can't help but notice that since we all started following your guideline, there has not been a single post in 14 days. Prior to us following the guideline, there were several posts each day. I will continue to abide by your direction, however, I feel that we have repressed/suppressed healthy open discussion, albeit somewhat disjointed at times.
Thank you.
George

PS Still, despite three more threads started in the Dealers section, there hasn't been a single inquiry on them.

100% Agree with you George.

Has anybody here sharpened an axe on the K02 and could share your experience and pictures? If you did, was it an easy job process and what would you change?

New shipment from the TSPROF on it's way to US. Yay!

Gentlemen, this area of the site is not a subdivision of the exchange. If you wish to create your own forum for discussion of sales, service, parts, etc please contact Spark directly. Only he can arrange that.

There is absolutely no intent on our part to throttle discussion of the product, its pros, its cons, "how to", as well as accessories and their usage here.

All aspects of the product and its employment are open to discussion as they always have been.

That said, this is not the place for direct commerce. Put a link in your signatures to your offerings in the dealer section and those who are interested will contact you. We cannot offer special dispensation to your commercial interests without doing the same for every other dealer or other member of the site who sells goods or services. (We have been down this road in the past and it created many issues for the members, Spark and the administrators of this site.)

"If you build it, they will come."

Please take all further discussion of this particular matter to PM, or post your concerns in the Service & Support area of the site. Spark is the final arbiter of all things on bladeforums.com and the only one that can change policy.

Hello guys, I am about to lay an order on their website, but unable to find answers to some of these questions. Here is hoping one of you has some answers for me:

1) From visual confirmation the Professional set of diamond stones lack the "notch" found on other stones to attach to the sharpener and in addition they seem 10mm wider than the remainder. Are these stones compatible to be used on the sharpener or simple an offering on the side for manual sharpening i.e. waterstones?
2) What is the purpose of the Whole Milled Clamps?
3) Does the "main configurator" kit also ship out with the Profil Wooden Box (not stated anywhere)?
4) Difference between the framework mentioned in Standard Black: K03 (K02 + LU) and Gift Kit Black K03 (not described as K02 + LU)
5) Which clamps are required to sharpen Japanese Chef Knives (i.e. Gyuto with specs: 2-2.5mm thick spine) and Razors with 6.5mm spines?
6) The Configurator has no such option as "Anodizing of AL elements" - inclusive or non-inclusive in these parts? Benefits of anodizing?

Hello guys, I am about to lay an order on their website, but unable to find answers to some of these questions. Here is hoping one of you has some answers for me:

1) From visual confirmation the Professional set of diamond stones lack the "notch" found on other stones to attach to the sharpener and in addition they seem 10mm wider than the remainder. Are these stones compatible to be used on the sharpener or simple an offering on the side for manual sharpening i.e. waterstones?
2) What is the purpose of the Whole Milled Clamps?
3) Does the "main configurator" kit also ship out with the Profil Wooden Box (not stated anywhere)?
4) Difference between the framework mentioned in Standard Black: K03 (K02 + LU) and Gift Kit Black K03 (not described as K02 + LU)
5) Which clamps are required to sharpen Japanese Chef Knives (i.e. Gyuto with specs: 2-2.5mm thick spine) and Razors with 6.5mm spines?
6) The Configurator has no such option as "Anodizing of AL elements" - inclusive or non-inclusive in these parts? Benefits of anodizing?

1. The TSProf stone holder will accept any stone that is "squared off", meaning has right angles at it ends. Just place the stone in position, flat against the back while adjusting the length of the holder to be about a quarter inch too short for the stone. Then, you will apply pressure to compress the spring so that your stone fits. It will be held in position by the spring tension. The diamond stones work just fine in the stone holder. Any stone from one inch to roughly an inch and a half wide should not pose a problem. One reminder: when you use stones of different thicknesses, be sure and re-adjust the height of the pivot to maintain the same sharpening angle. I personally use the digital angle gage when I change thickness stones.

2. The Whole Milled Clamps have a couple of advantages. First, they require no user calibration or adjustment to make sure the blade will be centered (meaning parallel to the centerline). This is because the potential movement and therefore, alignment of the springs have been eliminated. Secondly, being CNC machined from a single billet of duraluminum simplifies manufacture, vastly improves dimensional repeatability of tolerances and adds a professional aesthetic or look. Finally, there will no longer be a need for some customers to order reinforced springs for their clamps.

3. Any kit that is shown with a plastic carrying case does not come in the green wooden box. It ships with all components placed in their designated slots within the case.

4. To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference.

5. a. The Double Filet Clamps will work for blades up to 2.5 mm thick and 2 to 8 inches long (sorry to mix metric and English units) while allowing you to achieve a minimum of 6.5 degrees per side apex angle. So that should be your choice for the Japanese chef knives.
b. The regular double clamps (not the Whole Milled) that come with the Wranglerstar kits can accommodate my Fallkniven A1 Pro knife which is 7 mm thick. That is their maximum thickness.

6. I'm not sure I understand the first part of you question. Do you want to be able to customize your order to have either anodized or non-anodized aluminum parts? Anodizing protects the surface of metal parts against corrosion and discoloration when handled. As you know our hands leave salty sweat behind which cause corrosion.

I hope this was helpful.
George

1. The TSProf stone holder will accept any stone that is "squared off", meaning has right angles at it ends. Just place the stone in position, flat against the back while adjusting the length of the holder to be about a quarter inch too short for the stone. Then, you will apply pressure to compress the spring so that your stone fits. It will be held in position by the spring tension. The diamond stones work just fine in the stone holder. Any stone from one inch to roughly an inch and a half wide should not pose a problem. One reminder: when you use stones of different thicknesses, be sure and re-adjust the height of the pivot to maintain the same sharpening angle. I personally use the digital angle gage when I change thickness stones.

2. The Whole Milled Clamps have a couple of advantages. First, they require no user calibration or adjustment to make sure the blade will be centered (meaning parallel to the centerline). This is because the potential movement and therefore, alignment of the springs have been eliminated. Secondly, being CNC machined from a single billet of duraluminum simplifies manufacture, vastly improves dimensional repeatability of tolerances and adds a professional aesthetic or look. Finally, there will no longer be a need for some customers to order reinforced springs for their clamps.

3. Any kit that is shown with a plastic carrying case does not come in the green wooden box. It ships with all components placed in their designated slots within the case.

4. To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference.

5. a. The Double Filet Clamps will work for blades up to 2.5 mm thick and 2 to 8 inches long (sorry to mix metric and English units) while allowing you to achieve a minimum of 6.5 degrees per side apex angle. So that should be your choice for the Japanese chef knives.
b. The regular double clamps (not the Whole Milled) that come with the Wranglerstar kits can accommodate my Fallkniven A1 Pro knife which is 7 mm thick. That is their maximum thickness.

6. I'm not sure I understand the first part of you question. Do you want to be able to customize your order to have either anodized or non-anodized aluminum parts? Anodizing protects the surface of metal parts against corrosion and discoloration when handled. As you know our hands leave salty sweat behind which cause corrosion.

I hope this was helpful.
George

Thank you very much for the detailed explanations to my questions. I do however have a couple comments and follow up questions that may also be useful for others, beside myself. Thank you in advance and Cheers!

Relating to your answer in #3) I was referring to a kit solely built from the Configuration-tool (no plastic holder / wooden case is displayed or mentioned here) - an answer to this would still be useful, albeit not of paramount importance. To answer given in #4) Is there a way to confirm this somehow? It is somewhat of an odd way of differentiating the two products indeed. For #6) I believe I was mostly just referring to the lack of 'anodizing' in the configuration-tool, yet it is clearly offered in the Pre-built kits.. Perhaps this is now standard practice?

1) The Whole Milled Clamps from my understanding is a new/improved version of the conical clamps, which prior were used to clamp full-flat ground/hollow ground blades - is this the case? Incase it is; Does it aim to "replace" the conical clamps, albeit being at a higher price point? What would be the preferred clamp of the two for any given scenario where these would be necessary? (reinforced springs not taken into consideration)

2) From my understanding of the answer given up above regarding the regular clamps allowing for thicknesses up to 7mm; do they would with hollowground razors? Most razors have a rather 'thick' spine and various grinds.

3) My understanding from the Venev Professional Square stones, is that their advantage comes from increase in length rather than width; am I right in this statement? Reason for asking being the fact that Venev sell stones with fitting notch and normal width with the exact same parameters apart from length being 150mm (and a slight decrease in stone height).
Link for reference: http://www.vidbrusok.ru/collection/dlya-apex-edge-pro/product/150h25h10h2-75-100

I have 4 Japanese Chef knives and I also have 2 Tsprof's and I use the double fillet clamp's and the reinforced spring's with all my clamp's to eliminate as much deflection as possible,with the Japanese Chef knives about the lowest angle you will be able to go is 9 degree's or somewhere in that area and the reason for that is because the distance between the spine and edge of the knife is farther out.

I know the 6.5 degree's mentioned by George will never happen with a Japanese chef knife with a K02 I could not get an angle anywhere close to that,from what I read on a forum in Russia about the really low angle was for guys who had Victorinox knives but I can not confirm if that is true or not that is just what I read.

If it were me I would buy the Conical clamp's with the reinforced springs any day over the Milled clamp's and the reason for that is because they are made from aluminum and the threaded hole is going to strip faster then steel will.

As far as stones go I would buy the Venev stone's but do not go any higher then 800 grit stone the problem is with the 1200 and 2000 grit the scratch pattern is not very good and the resin they used for the first Gen Venev stones was used on all of them,I have 2 prototype Venev stones that use a newer resin that is supposed to hold the diamonds in place better and also gives a much better scratch pattern.
The main problem with the 1200 and 2000 stones are is that the diamonds were falling out and other problems,if you want to read more do a search on me and look at the prototype stones.

I would not try sharpening a straight razor with a guided system I talked to a few guys threw PM's on this forum and they all strongly said don't do it for a number of reasons,I can't remember what was said to me,if I were you try googling badge and blade they are a shaving forum and maybe able to shed more light on the subject.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanations to my questions. I do however have a couple comments and follow up questions that may also be useful for others, beside myself. Thank you in advance and Cheers!

Relating to your answer in #3) I was referring to a kit solely built from the Configuration-tool (no plastic holder / wooden case is displayed or mentioned here) - an answer to this would still be useful, albeit not of paramount importance. To answer given in #4) Is there a way to confirm this somehow? It is somewhat of an odd way of differentiating the two products indeed. For #6) I believe I was mostly just referring to the lack of 'anodizing' in the configuration-tool, yet it is clearly offered in the Pre-built kits.. Perhaps this is now standard practice?

1) The Whole Milled Clamps from my understanding is a new/improved version of the conical clamps, which prior were used to clamp full-flat ground/hollow ground blades - is this the case? Incase it is; Does it aim to "replace" the conical clamps, albeit being at a higher price point? What would be the preferred clamp of the two for any given scenario where these would be necessary? (reinforced springs not taken into consideration)

2) From my understanding of the answer given up above regarding the regular clamps allowing for thicknesses up to 7mm; do they would with hollowground razors? Most razors have a rather 'thick' spine and various grinds.

3) My understanding from the Venev Professional Square stones, is that their advantage comes from increase in length rather than width; am I right in this statement? Reason for asking being the fact that Venev sell stones with fitting notch and normal width with the exact same parameters apart from length being 150mm (and a slight decrease in stone height).
Link for reference: http://www.vidbrusok.ru/collection/dlya-apex-edge-pro/product/150h25h10h2-75-100

Can these systems do larger blades then 8”? Specifically large fillet knives for salmon and such (think bubba blade). These fillet knives are a bit thicker then your typical 6-7” fillet knive so figured that should help with deflection. If it can be done, is it in one setup or is moving and reclamping going to be necessary?

Thanks!

I have 4 Japanese Chef knives and I also have 2 Tsprof's and I use the double fillet clamp's and the reinforced spring's with all my clamp's to eliminate as much deflection as possible,with the Japanese Chef knives about the lowest angle you will be able to go is 9 degree's or somewhere in that area and the reason for that is because the distance between the spine and edge of the knife is farther out.

I know the 6.5 degree's mentioned by George will never happen with a Japanese chef knife with a K02 I could not get an angle anywhere close to that,from what I read on a forum in Russia about the really low angle was for guys who had Victorinox knives but I can not confirm if that is true or not that is just what I read.

If it were me I would buy the Conical clamp's with the reinforced springs any day over the Milled clamp's and the reason for that is because they are made from aluminum and the threaded hole is going to strip faster then steel will.

As far as stones go I would buy the Venev stone's but do not go any higher then 800 grit stone the problem is with the 1200 and 2000 grit the scratch pattern is not very good and the resin they used for the first Gen Venev stones was used on all of them,I have 2 prototype Venev stones that use a newer resin that is supposed to hold the diamonds in place better and also gives a much better scratch pattern.
The main problem with the 1200 and 2000 stones are is that the diamonds were falling out and other problems,if you want to read more do a search on me and look at the prototype stones.

I would not try sharpening a straight razor with a guided system I talked to a few guys threw PM's on this forum and they all strongly said don't do it for a number of reasons,I can't remember what was said to me,if I were you try googling badge and blade they are a shaving forum and maybe able to shed more light on the subject.

Do the fillet knives grip equally on both sides for full-flat ground japanese knives? I thought that was the purpose of the Conical clamps.

Could you tell me where you got the prototype stones and do you mind uploading some detailed images of them? http://www.vidbrusok.ru/product/nabor-bruskov-200h35h10-100 Do you know which type of resin these use? I am not sure which 1200-2000 grit stones to buy other than Venev stones, as the knives I will be sharpening is tool steel i.e. high carbide (vanadium steels).

=======================================================================================
#3 Yes. If you use the TSProf configurator and select either the K02 or K03 (K02 + Lifting unit), you will receive it in the famous green box.

#4 K03 = K02 + Lifting Unit (old designation)

New questions:
1) The Whole Milled Clamps are more like replacements for the regular double clamp (multi-piece with reinforcing springs). The conical clamps have the advantage of being a tool-less clamp with high gripping strength.

2) I'm not sure there is an answer that covers all cases or types of straight razors. Post pictures and then it should be possible to answer for each case.

3) My understanding of the advantage of Venev diamond stones is their high quality, 100% coverage and the fact that the diamonds adhere, long term in their matrix. I am not familiar with all of their offerings, so I won't comment further.

I got the Venev stones from Gritomatic and they were prototype stones that can not be purchased yet I got them because of a friendship that me and Konstantin the owner developed.

I use the Venev stones first then Sigma Power Select II stones to finish with in their highest grits and I also use the Suehiro 10 and 20K stone often as well,the Sigma Power stones are great for refining the edge after using a stone like the Venev stones and for polishing,if you want a truly polished edge you can go all the way to the highest Venev grit that go back to a Chosera 5K and that will remove the scratch's very fast then use the Sigma Power stones after that and then 20K Suehiro.

I know what your thinking it makes no sense to go backwards but from I have found with the high vanadium steels and other steels that are very wear resistant like ZDP-189 it's fast to use Venev stones to as close to the finest edge you want and drop back to a Chosera 5K to remove the scratch's and then polish the edge.

Also keep in mind that the 2000 grit Venev stone is the rated the same as a 15K Japanese water stone because Venev use's the FEPA grit system,if you want to email me a the email in this reply you can and I will email you a pdf conversion chart that is extremely easy to use and you can use it to cross reference different stones grit's.

All of the clamps for the K02 work just fine and they all grip equally well,you have nothing to worry about on a Japanese chef knife because they are always flat,a Spyderco is different but at the same time still no problem for the clamp's also I use just one of the double clamps with the reinforced spring's when I sharpen a Spyderco knife PM2 or a Manix 2 and the reason for that is because you need to clamp as close to the handle as you can or else you will hit the jaws of the clamp when trying to sharpen the tip.

The Conical clamps are just faster to adjust but still grip as well as the whole milled clamp's,the reason for the whole milled clamp's is because the metal is thicker and there is no flex in them,but if you use the reinforced spring's with the other clamp's you'll be fine,if you have never used a guided system before you only want to use just enough pressure to remove metal and no more for a better edge.

To tape the knife I just use thick book binding or packing tape that is clear and lay on one side of the knife use a single edge scrapper blade to cut off any extra tape by the edge then lift the tape off move it up from the edge about 1 or 2mm then set the tape back on the knife then cut the extra tape off at the spine and repeat on the other side,you also find that the tape help's the clamp's hold better with less pressure as well.
With the Venev stones it's not some much a big deal taping the whole knife if it's going to be an edc knife and your not worried about a few scratch's then just just tape where the clamps are going to touch.

If you want the pdf chart just email me at wadenorton2008@yahoo.ca and title it pdf grit chart.When you use the chart keep in mind there is FEPA-F and FEPA-P it is FEPA-F you want to look at the FEPA-P is a rating for sandpaper.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-stones-from-venev-and-pictures.1587204/

Last edited:
It's only in the 1200 and 2000 grit that Venev was getting a lot of complaint's about from what I read in a Russian forum,they said they thought the first gen resin they used was going to work for all the stones but found that the resin was not suited to hold the really fine diamond in place,if you look at the link above to the 2 stones I got that are prototype stones you can see by the color that it is a different resin.

=======================================================================================
#3 Yes. If you use the TSProf configurator and select either the K02 or K03 (K02 + Lifting unit), you will receive it in the famous green box.

#4 K03 = K02 + Lifting Unit (old designation)

New questions:
1) The Whole Milled Clamps are more like replacements for the regular double clamp (multi-piece with reinforcing springs). The conical clamps have the advantage of being a tool-less clamp with high gripping strength.

2) I'm not sure there is an answer that covers all cases or types of straight razors. Post pictures and then it should be possible to answer for each case.

3) My understanding of the advantage of Venev diamond stones is their high quality, 100% coverage and the fact that the diamonds adhere, long term in their matrix. I am not familiar with all of their offerings, so I won't comment further.

That scratch pattern genuinely looks aweful on a 1200-2000 Venev stone, considering the grit level. My synthetic 6k waterstone almost brings bevels to mirror in comparison, and the grit levels are not even near the same range.. I can't quite make this make sense, other than very large particles being present in Venev bonding

It's only in the 1200 and 2000 grit that Venev was getting a lot of complaint's about from what I read in a Russian forum,they said they thought the first gen resin they used was going to work for all the stones but found that the resin was not suited to hold the really fine diamond in place,if you look at the link above to the 2 stones I got that are prototype stones you can see by the color that it is a different resin.
Did you ever get to re-do your tests, mentioned in the link above? I would be very interested in those images as I am not far from ordering as of right now..

Edit: It almost looks as if the Venev 1200 left minor chips in the edge of the blade, which would be very detrimental on a Japanese Gyuto. Can you confirm if this is the case of the stone or just the image which makes it seem as such?

Last edited:
Back