Tell me about Busse knives

Lots of great comments in this thread, thanks to evetyone who replied. I even came to know about a couple makers who I had never heard of before.

I wasn't aware that there were different "flavours" of INFI, so that is interesting to know. Also, the comments about handles not being comfortable doesn't surprise me much, given the way they look.

After reading all of this and looking through pictures and ads, I think I am most drawn to the Busse Basic series, and maybe an 11" blade. Anyone have thoughts about this one? What's a fair price to pay?

Lots of great comments in this thread, thanks to evetyone who replied. I even came to know about a couple makers who I had never heard of before.

I wasn't aware that there were different "flavours" of INFI, so that is interesting to know. Also, the comments about handles not being comfortable doesn't surprise me much, given the way they look.

After reading all of this and looking through pictures and ads, I think I am most drawn to the Busse Basic series, and maybe an 11" blade. Anyone have thoughts about this one? What's a fair price to pay?

I think for values and searching you’ll need to go to Busse forum. Good luck with your search :) I hope you score what you want !! :)

The Basics are awesome. Love my 9. If I were looking for an 11, I’d expect to pay $300-$400. More than 4 bills is steep and you probably won’t find one for less than 3. Happy hunting.

I'm not sure why people are saying Busse handles (the full tang, slab handles) are uncomfortable. They're the most comfortable handles I've ever used, apart from the Res-C ones which are even better.

Basic 11 is awesome. It's the hardest hitting for lightest weight chopper I've ever used.
Screen-Shot-2018-08-17-at-9-25-06-am.jpg

If you want something a bit heavier, the Basic Bolo 13 (BB13)
Screen-Shot-2019-05-23-at-5-19-18-pm.png

Last edited:
Or maybe I should be looking for something in a super tough steel like S7?

Yes! Probably one of the best steels for a large chopper imho and Busse makes their own version called SR-77.

I don’t own any Busse knives as they’re a bit over-priced for me, however I own several “Bussekin” knives by Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard which are a better value - cheaper than CPK as best I can tell.

Below is probably my most mall ninja knife ever (in SR-77).

Haven’t brought it to the mall yet as I’m still working on the sheath... ;)

28E71CB5-8495-4AE1-A0F1-54FB7BF76F12.jpeg
F423DC22-8535-4024-9041-5E24DC332A43.jpeg

Last edited:
+1 on the Basic series.
I've been using my beloved Basic #7 for years on just about everything afield - from processing firewood to field dressing deer; it's a favorite of mine.

I’ve been into knives for the majority of my life. I really got into them around the time Cold Steel was making Carbon V, Spydercos were all silver, and Remington Bullet knives were actually worth a good bit. I went on a drought for a couple of decades, carrying whatever half-decent folder I could pick up at Lowe’s. A couple of years ago, I saw a Spyderco at Walmart. I was astonished. I picked it up, and it took me back to my younger days. After that, I started revisiting my youth, grabbing up oversized Cold Steel folders and push daggers, more Spydies, and eventually an ESEE for Christmas. I was tickled pink with all my acquisitions. The ESEE really struck a chord with me, and I ended up on the ESEE forum. I grabbed a few more of those models from other members, along with some more fun stuff. Then I ended up making a trade for an Anniversary Mean Street. After I got that little bugger in hand, it was all over. I’ve owned a couple of CPK’s and Barkies and other stuff, and they are nice quality blades, but there just not anything else out there like the Busse/kin in my book. My current lineup is a Para 2, two ESEEs, and seven Busse/kin, ranging from edc to hunting/bushcraft, up to a decent chopper. To the OP, be warned. It’s a slippery slope. If you buy one, soon you’re going to see another one that you can’t live without, and so on...

I have no idea the exact time period it happened, but I know I’ve compared stuff from late 90’s - early 2000’s to stuff made recently (within the past 5 years) and it doesn’t seem the same. To the archives? :D

I know it was changed because Jerry Busse said it was. See the thread unwisefool unwisefool posted (and a few others).

How I can tell it’s not as good as it was (to me) is that I’ve owned and used several in both formulas. The old stuff’s simply better in my usage. Sure, it’s just my opinion, but not one I’ve formed for no reason.

Could you tell me some of the models with the original Infi recipe? I’d like to try and find one.

The chances of finding one from almost 20 years ago is going to be almost impossible.Most of what i see for sale is newer than that,and if you do find one its going to probably cost a fortune.The only ones ive seen with a date are the 2008 special edition jackhammer,hellrazor and sarsquach models from what ive seen.

fortune.The only ones ive seen with a date are the 2008 special edition jackhammer,hellrazor and sarsquach models from what ive seen.

And those are definitely the newer INFI formulation. It looks like you really do have to get a knife from the 90's to get the original INFI.

Now I will say this about the newer formula: I have a competition thin convex edged satin jack tac that I stupidly let my friend borrow. He was wildly chopping things and brought it full force down onto a large rock :mad:. There was only a tiny little chip out of the edge; I was very surprised at how much abuse that thinned out edge could take.

Last edited:
Overpriced is subjective. They sell. And even better, often resell without significant loss in value as long as you donr buy at inflated prices.

The sheath thing makes more sense when you start looking at the numbers many collectors buy.

One (who shall remain anonymous) bought 27 of a single model. When buying multiples, an extra 30-60 per sheath makes less sense.

It did nudge me into making my own leather sheaths.

P64YWXZ.jpg

UJBEnMa.jpg

YVmScjG.jpg
Great looking sheaths, especially the one for that Rattle Hawk.

I dont see that as a mall ninja knife, because it can cut,chop and saw,and made of a good steel.

I dont see that as a mall ninja knife, because it can cut,chop and saw,and made of a good steel.

I don’t either really - but I presume at least a few of the folks reading this would expect anyone with a saw-backed knife like that to smell like a mall ninja.

I’m ok with that. I’ve been called worse things. :)

Last edited:
Back