Tell me about Busse knives

19799CE5-4AC1-4EB6-9A63-1B5522EC4873.jpeg D4F52F96-134A-4DB1-8A9A-534EF488965B.jpeg
B10D9887-69EA-4FC7-B073-5DF097549D09.jpeg

Ok sheath is done - off to the mall!! Haha - not really. (Maybe tomorrow).

O.P. - Try not to let the lack of a sheath stand in your way - if you have a little space and time you can set yourself up to make your own kydex sheaths fairly inexpensively. With some practice it’s a pretty fun and versatile material to work with.

Pushed the limits as far as spending that kind of money on a fixed blade. Its a stretch for me, but i like it enough not to let it go ..

Well, I couldn't handle the curiousity any longer so I picked up a SHe2 off of the forum (thanks Jeff!). It might be a bit short for serious chopping but looks like it will make a nice camp blade.

In the name of science, I also bought a pretty cheap but seemingly tough RTAK II as well to see how a cheap but tough beater might compare to Busse. By some coincidence, both showed up to my door today. A couple quick preliminary thoughts as a guy who's collection is 90% folders:

The RTAK is clearly the inferior knife. The grind is frankly the worst I have ever seen on a new knife, very uneven on either side and not the edge is not straight at all. When you stand it up on a flat surface, there is an ugly recurve where there should be a straight line. Honestly, if this was intended for anything other than chopping and abuse, I would return it and I almost never return anything. The sheath is pretty cheap feeling but serviceable. However, it came with a sheath in the first place, which you don't get with new Busses. I read alot of complaints about the blocky handle slabs but they actually seem ok in my L sized hands. I am curious to see how they feel after some actual use.

As for the Busse, I think I am starting to get it. It feels very solid and the handle scales match up nicely. It seems to exude quality and I suppose it should for a blade four times the price of the one it is being compared to. It definitely has a certain tough guy presence and I get why Darryl used a TGLB to waste all those zombies in the Walking Dead. I opted for a coated blade and the coating is unlike any other fixed blade I have handled. It looks kind of textured like a powercoat but is also a bit glossy. I will be curious to see how it holds up to use. I have DLC coated Cold Steel Master Hunter and man, that thing can take punishment and the coating still looks very good. I wonder how the Busse will compare? The sheath issue seems a bit crazy, but the seller was kind enough to include a homemade kydex that seems well made and very serviceable.

Now I just need an opportunity to take a hike through the woods and actually put these blades to the test.

The powder coat will start to wear, flattening out first as you will see.I hate powder coat blades it really isnt meant for blades i know a guy who did powder coating in the 90s and he did it on motorcycles' marine use and similar things it wasnt really intended to be put on a blade then cut through wood,but it will take a bit of use before it wears down to bare metal.

I like inverted carry; but this seems odd to me. I'm guessing from the clip and extremely low carry that your goal is convenient carry rather than accessibility (the handle is well below where you can reach to easily draw the knife).
Haven’t taken it out yet with it clipped in the pocket, but it feels comfortable for around camp maybe - not sure how it would do on the trail - kinda floppy I think.
Inverted on a pack strap or scout style works great tho - just about at the limits size-wise...
B8723C79-DC32-49D5-B150-BC6CE2716348.jpeg

The powder coat will start to wear, flattening out first as you will see.I hate powder coat blades it really isnt meant for blades i know a guy who did powder coating in the 90s and he did it on motorcycles' marine use and similar things it wasnt really intended to be put on a blade then cut through wood,but it will take a bit of use before it wears down to bare metal.
That blade coating really causes a big drag in cutting and is a magnet for any debris :thumbsup:

Back