Tell Me About Your Tuff Lite

What do you guys think about it? I just ordered one, should be here Monday. I'm kind of excited to try out the Triad lock.

One of Cold Steel's best EDC blades, IMO. I carried the Tuff Lite exclusively for a year and four months , and it was able to handle anything I threw at it. Very easy to open one handed, super ergonomic, handle length is superb considering the blade size. Blade steel is good, super easy to sharpen.

The only reason I no longer carry one is the fact that I upgraded to a Cold Steel Lucky One in S35-VN. I've started carrying a small fixed blade (Cold Steel Urban Pal) along with a slipjoint (Lucky One). If I had to go back to a one-knife carry, I would definitely go back to the Tuff Lite. And at that price, you simply CANNOT go wrong.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Very good knife. Great price, good steal, love the blade shape, and they really nailed the handle. You'll be very well pleased.

The Tuff Lite is is one of my favorite edc's. One is in my pocket right now, and I own 3 total. Plus 2 mini's. Ergos are great, fits the hand very well. Mine came literally razor sharp and ready to use out the box, easy to touch up. It has a narrow secondary bevel, around 13 degrees per side as I measure it.

I've always been fond of lock backs, and the Triad is a LB on steroids. A little sticky on release sometimes, but that is a minor annoyance and well worth the price. With a little practice you can close one handed.

I'd like to see some upgrades someday, but that said I'm happy with it as-is.

Great knife. I frequently carry both sizes of the tuff lite. They make a very handy lightweight EDC blade.

I have found it to be one of the most useful knives for opening and breaking down boxes.

I took the pocket clip off and hang it up via the blade slot opener at work.

It's a good knife but for me the Mini is superior. Unfortunately CS has discontinued it. Actually the Mini would be better if it were thinner--it's almost as thick as the full-sized model. Look at it this way: I own one Tuff Lite. I own three Minis, and did before I learned they were out of production.

I've had a Tuff Lite for several years. A unique, useful and easy-to-sharpen folder.

I had no idea CS had discontinued the Mini. I just ordered three of them.

I have only respect for the Mini Tuff Lite. I am continually amazed at how well it performs. I think CS made a mistake by discontinuing it. I think it needs a steel upgrade, but that is it. The Tuff Lite would be a better knife (though it is excellent) if it had the same design as the Mini. The Mini has an angle to the blade/handle that facilitates cutting.

The tuff lite was the first folder that I felt "melted" into my hands. It is so perfectly ergonomic in my hands that I often just continued to do work with it open in my palm, and it just felt like a natural extension of my body. Easy to sharpen, nice and light.

I wish would introduce a "Tuff Lite Pro" with tip up carry so the lanyard hole makes sense and XHP / S35VN steel. Maybe skeletonized steel liners and smooth G10 scales a la the Swift. AUS8A is easy to hone, but that little workhorse often went through so much cardboard in a day in my hands that the relatively small blade would be brick-dull from tip to sharpening notch. I got really good at stropping straight edges in my time owning the knife.

I've since almost completely transitioned to fixed blades for utility work, but would hop all over an upgraded version.

I'm glad you asked. :). I have one thanks to the generosity of cchu518. I actually won the mini in his gaw here on the forums. I just got it yesterday and I haven't hardly put it down. It will definitely be in my pocket tomorrow too. I did tie a Para cord lanyard (fob) on it. All the good things they say about it are true. :thumbup:

Just received an order of my first mini Tuff Lites. This is one CS folder that should really be felt in the hand. Its gangly
looks certainly do veil its true personality.

Very interesting was the use of a coil spring to push up the locking bar. I have no way to tell if it will be necessary, but
I’ll personally be extra vigilant on the lint-weevil watch in that area for awhile.

I got the word late on the mini, but now wouldn’t want to have one too far from my reach, if not actually being an EDC or
part thereof. It may be the most “concentrated” folder I have when comparing its potential use to actual size and weight.

It is my EDC beater. I will cut anything with it. Not pretty. Not refined. Blade could hold an edge better. But for EDC tasks it works.

Would be nice to have a slightly larger version, similar to the discontinued Kershaw Needs Work or the Spyderco Yojimbo.

Back