Tennessee Knife Users, take heart!

james terrio

Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket
Make your voice heard.

Tennessee Switchblade Ban & Length Limit Repeal Bill
Voted Out of Judiciary Committee
Call or Email Your Senator TODAY!

Since Ethan is living in TN and has helped us with this bill: By a vote of 6-1 with 1 abstention, SB1771 was voted out of the Senate Judiciary Committee and passed along to the Calendar Committee. SB1771 would repeal the antiquated ban on switchblade (automatic) knives and possession of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague law subject to abuse.

Sen. Mike Bell, SB171 sponsor, expects the floor vote to to be held next week, possibly as soon as Monday. If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact your Senator and ask them to support SB1771. You can find your Tennessee state legislators here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

Whether writing or calling, all that is necessary is to simply ask your Senator to vote in favor of SB1771. Keep it short and to the point.

Here is the email I sent to my representatives:

james terrio said:
Mr. Kane/Campfield,

Please vote in support of this bill. It is a reasonable action that protects the rights of peaceful citizens and does no harm to them. It increases the penalties for those few who would use knives for nefarious purposes.

Thank you kindly for your time and consideration.

All the Best,

James Terrio, knifemaker and voter

No matter where you live, I implore you to contact your representatives and speak in favor of sane, reasonable laws.

Last edited:
UPDATE, courtesy of Doug Ritter at www.kniferights.org :

The Tennessee House Criminal Justice Committee has passed HB1883 on a voice vote. HB1883 now moves to the critical House Finance, Ways & Means Subcommittee. We need you to EMAIL or CALL the subcommittee members TODAY! HB1883 is the companion bill to SB1771 and would repeal the antiquated ban on switchblade (automatic) knives and possession of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague law subject to abuse.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact the Subcommittee Members listed below and ask them to vote in favor of HB1883. If one of them is your Representative, then emphasize that fact when you call or email. You can find your Representative here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

Whether writing or calling, all that is necessary is to simply ask that they vote YES on HB1883. That's it, keep it short and to the point.

Rep. Mike Harrison, Chairman - rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7480
Rep. David Alexander - rep.david.alexander@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-8695
Rep. Joe Armstrong - rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0768
Rep. Kevin Brooks - rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-1350
Rep. Karen D. Camper - rep.karen.camper@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-1898
Rep, Craig Fitzhugh - rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2134
Rep. David Hawk - rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7482
Rep. Gerald McCormick - rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2548
Rep. Steve McDaniel - rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0750
Rep. Gary Odom - rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4410
Rep. Dennis Roach - rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2534
Rep. Charles Sargent - rep.charles.sargent@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-6808

Just wanted to update this with the current status.

Governor just signed bill -- as of July 1, 2014, there is no longer any ban on any type or length of knife carry in Tennessee! And there is state preemption already, passed last year with the help of KnifeRights. And there was already also no ban on type of carry, openly or concealed, so that did not change.

The only place knives are specifically still banned are on school property, where de facto any knife is illegal, except for very narrow exceptions.

Of course, still will be prohibited when you enter certain public buildings that do searches, but not even sure under what exact authority they could do that with legal length/type knives before, but's that another issue.

Big win, and huge huge thanks to KnifeRights for helping spearhead the whole thing once again!!

- OS

I would still like to see the exact language of the law. I guess I have some searching to do.

ETA: This is what I find on the Knife Rights site:

May 17, 2013: Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam signed SB1015 today making Tennessee the Seventh state to enact Knife Rights most important legislative initiative, Knife Law Preemption. SB1051, sponsored by Senator Mike Bell and with its companion bill, HB0581, sponsored by Representative Vance Dennis, repeals all existing local knife laws on the books in Tennessee and prevents cities and towns from enacting any new knife laws more restrictive than state law. The original bills also addressed those state laws by including a repeal on the ban on switchblades, dirks, daggers, stilettos and knives over four inches in length, but because of petty political reasons that section was stripped from the bill. The preemption section that remained and has now been signed into law is arguably more important and a huge step in the right direction. However, Knife Rights is committed to passing commonsense repeal of the ban on these knives next year. - See more at: http://www.kniferights.org/index.ph...ask=view&id=216&Itemid=1#sthash.Q0Q10b6J.dpuf

And then this update:
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam has signed SB1771, Knife Rights' bill repealing the state's antiquated ban on switchblade (automatic) knives and possession of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague law subject to abusive interpretation. As of July 1, 2014, there are no longer any per se illegal knives in Tennessee. Last year Knife Rights passed Knife Law Preemption in Tennessee ensuring that no local jurisdiction can have regulations more restrictive than state law. This means that existing restrictions that banned automatic knives or limited blade length in some cities are now rendered null and void and they cannot pass any new laws banning certain knives. WARNING: This new law does not go into effect until July 1, 2014. Violations of existing law banning switchblades (automatic) knives and carry of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed" can still be prosecuted until that date. - See more at: http://www.kniferights.org/#sthash.QI8bu5TT.dpuf

...and the bill itself:
http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB1771.pdf

Last edited:
Good news indeed, thanks Codger!

Keep in mind, you still have to be aware of postings at parks and such, and on private property like hospitals and businesses. I'm not sure if this repeal affects that or not (I kinda doubt it) so I would proceed with caution.

I'm pretty sure i got to meet Senator Bell who sponsored the bill at Blade Show this weekend.

Murph mentioned that to me as well, but he wasn't sure of the senator's name. In any case, I'm glad he came to the show and got to meet great folks like you and the crew at TM Hunt's table :thumbup:

Back