Terminology: Emergency Knife

People like using terminology, and they equally like getting annoyed by it.
Just start a thread on "Survival Knives"...you know it to be true. ;)

So I got to thinking; how about the term Emergency Knife?

I got to thinking of it in another thread when someone mentioned thinking of a survival knife as the one that's on your person rather than in your pack, for those instances where you lose the pack. It could be by the canoe going downstream without you, or falling down a cliff, or any of the other icky things that separate you from your stuff. Sounds like an emergency situation.

It would also work for those who like a defensive option; dog chewing your leg off is an emergency, right? :D

Plus, it still allows for all the incessant bickering people love, as they can argue about what constitutes an actual emergency, and what knife you'd need to deal with it (or if a knife would help at all).

So that's my contribution to the knife world for today, the term Emergency Knife.

Enjoy it, use it, or post about how stupid you think the term is...it's all good. :thumbup:

Since I was in the rescue/EMT business years and years ago, when I use the term "Emergency Knife" I mean one dedicated to emergencies like auto accidents, skiing accidents, rescues, and etc. Of course a dog chewing off your leg would be an emergency for sure.

Since I was in the rescue/EMT business years and years ago, when I use the term "Emergency Knife" I mean one dedicated to emergencies like auto accidents, skiing accidents, rescues, and etc. Of course a dog chewing off your leg would be an emergency for sure.

Quite valid usage, although a lot of people seem to refer to knives for such uses as rescue knives.
But if you were calling it an emergency knife, I sure couldn't argue against it. :)

Emergency knife? My nail clippers work pretty well. It's about all I can use on an airplane to clip my seat belt free. [emoji14]

How much do we pay you to use the term :p

I think it is the other way around.

Hasn't been determined yet. :D
Probably free to whoever wants to...that's the way of the internet.

I think it's fine...but I've been known to be wrong at times. ;)

Well I'll call this one done and done unless you are wrong.

Fine, I 'll give serious answer. It is probably whatever you have on you. That said, the 915 I got from whitty last month fits in that category. Bluntish tip as to not stab your vict...er... person in need of rescue. Great rescue hook. Awesome glass breaker. Probably would work good in an emergency. And Pic no less:

20150422_121150.jpg

I carried it today, though there were no emergency situations.

I always carry an emergency knife, never know when the unexpected will happen. I also carry a rescue knife and a self defense knife. Just so happens, they all are bundled into one knife. Go figure.

That's just great, now I need to buy another knife. :mad:

SD Knife, Survival Knife, Dress Knife, Rescue Knife, Bushcraft Knife, EDC knife, Gents Knife...etc. Now this Emergency Knife???? How is a guy supposed to keep up??? :eek:

Fine, I 'll give serious answer. It is probably whatever you have on you. That said, the 915 I got from whitty last month fits in that category. Bluntish tip as to not stab your vict...er... person in need of rescue. Great rescue hook. Awesome glass breaker. Probably would work good in an emergency. And Pic no less:

20150422_121150.jpg

That's a great, purpose built rescue knife that would make a good all-round emergency knife. :thumbup:

Today's emergency knife was this one...

Photo0448_zpsf53r8ywm.jpg

Because it's the newest. The only emergency it had to handle though was 5 hours of boredom while I waited for a professor to show up for a job opportunity (looks like I got the job for a while :) ).
Seeing as it has a sturdy blade, good handle ergonomics and won't fold on my hand, it would fit the bill most emergencies that I could foresee...at least as well as my other knives that get carried. I always have at least one knife on me that would suffice.

I think it is the other way around.

Well I'll call this one done and done unless you are wrong.

20150422_121150.jpg

Huh? He pays us? Hahahaha If you say so.

When I was thinking about an emergency knife for those scenarios. I was thinking bout a compact fixed blade not more then 4" with a bare handle. Ultralight and compact that's easy to forget its on you until one needs it yet can do heavy work and not have to worry about lock failure.

Just my thoughts

When I was thinking about an emergency knife for those scenarios. I was thinking bout a compact fixed blade not more then 4" with a bare handle. Ultralight and compact that's easy to forget its on you until one needs it yet can do heavy work and not have to worry about lock failure.

Just my thoughts

The term has lots of room for discussion. :)

For me, I like folders, since they're easy to always have with me, and a sturdy one can handle quite a bit.
Others, like yourself, want the added sturdiness of a fixed blade, and don't mind a bit of extra size to carry around.

That's just great, now I need to buy another knife. :mad:

SD Knife, Survival Knife, Dress Knife, Rescue Knife, Bushcraft Knife, EDC knife, Gents Knife...etc. Now this Emergency Knife???? How is a guy supposed to keep up??? :eek:

Hah, I just gave you an excuse to buy another knife! :D

I think we're better off not using any term. Although stabman you may have just shown us the new marketing gimmick. It's less offensive to some than "tactical knife."

I think we're better off not using any term. Although stabman you may have just shown us the new marketing gimmick. It's less offensive to some than "tactical knife."

I always felt I could do well in a marketing department. :)
As a gimmick it certainly could appeal to many groups, while avoiding the negativity that some terms have attached to them.
It has a much more positive vibe to it. :thumbup:

I always felt I could do well in a marketing department. :)
As a gimmick it certainly could appeal to many groups, while avoiding the negativity that some terms have attached to them.
It has a much more positive vibe to it. :thumbup:

That it does. :D

Back