Testing a Strider

Has Strider ever released the results of any test they have conducted on their knives? Like say Busse Combat has. Just curious considering buying one. I have never heard anything bad, everyone says they are great knives. I just want to know how they tested them and what they can stand up to.

In fairness to Strider, what tests would you have them or any knife company do???? No matter what test they perform, someone will deem it meaningless huxterism. I know that has happened with the Busse knives and some of those "tests". Worst example is the so called "proof" video cold steel made of their products in action. Some people went ga ga over it, but most in the know laughed at how meaningless they were. Here is what you look at first. Reputation. Strider has it. 2nd Quality of materials, heat treat, workmanship in putting those together. Strider has it. If you have a specific use in mind contact them at their shop. If not I am sure it can do anything a knife should do, and you can probably rest easy ordering one. But no matter Busse or Strider or any other brand, its still a ground, heat treated piece of steel to cut with, not some kinda magic. Now did I just answer a troll folks. I hope not.:eek:

Personally me thinks this post is somebody new to the forums asking a serious question and not a troll.

Their has been a outbreak of trollism lately but sometimes the real victims are new posters.

Go back to day 1 on the Strider forum and check out all the old posts. Then so a search for strider and see what pops up on the other forums.

I did a search of Strider Knives for any kind of test on there knives. The only one I found was done by Cliff Stamp and a lot of good reviews by happy owners. But nobody except Cliff Stamp did any real testing that my search revealed. If you have a link give it up? I was e mailed by strider in response to this post and they asked what kind of test I was looking for and I told them. I have yet to recieve a response, but in all fairness its only been a few days.

Mike990 :

what tests would you have them or any knife company do????

If your knives are designed and built for functionality then you should know the purpose of each blade, and beyond that, the intended goal of every aspect down to the last detail. This undersanding should be based on experience with the design elements - this is the "testing" that would be beneficial for the ELU to see. In general the more comprehensive the experience, the better the product, though obviously there are a lot of other factors that come into play as well.

The reason that Cold Steel catches a lot of flak for the "proof" video is for two main reasons. First of all it promotes tasks as being far harder than they are so as make the knives look far more impressive than they actually are. Secondly, the user who buys the blades is not actually allowed to try out any of these "tests" for themselves as it will void the warrenty on the knife. Both of these reasons lead to hype.

However, there is no reason why testing in general has to be done this way. It can be simple and direct - this is what the blade is intended to do, and this is what we have done to insure that the performance is there at the level we want.

-Cliff

There was a time when we were SUPER into promoting our blades through testing and demonstration.
Our show displays are somewhat legendary. We have done a lot of crazy sht to prove the quality of our product.
Since that time, we have been told that to continue with the demonstrations would mean that we were no longer invited to play at the shows. So we stopped.
Now days, we let our guarantee and our VERY happy customers speak for the quality of our product.

Ever Vigilant

Mick Strider

edited because of my lame grammar.

Bushmaster100 was asking a serious question and Mick answered it. Bushmaster could read about some of those crazy knife show tests in articles written about Strider in the knife mags. I believe they're available on Strider's website. I've tested a Strider against very mean and unfriendly humans. I was very pleased with the test results. The data reads "3 foreign test subjects leaking fluid and screaming on ground; one American hauling ass down alley needs laundry service." Don't get into a fight with an aircraft carrier, though, if you only have a Strider. You'll probably lose.

Kshurika, No mick did not answer my question. He stated that they did show displays in the past until they were asked to stop. What kind od displays were they? I've never been able to go to a show and see a display. I have read articles on Strider Knives, but all they were was people stating how they loved Strider Knives and they were hardcore. No testing of any kind. Anybody can say anything good or bad about a product. All I want to know is how Strider test there knives. Nobody at strider has been able to tell me. Is it a secret? I think alot of people who have read this post would like to know also?

Bushmaster sounds reasonable -

So I ask Bushmaster - What are the top 5 tests that you want to see conducted by the operators from Strider?

The problem is, that I can show video evidence of me lifting my truck.
Video tests are nothing more than hype.
Like I said, we let our guarantee speak for itself. If you break the knife, we will replace it.

Of course we test the knives. No it isn't a secret. Though it is rather time consuming to sit and describe all the fun stuff we get to do with knives as part of our job. There are published articles word wide that describe our product in great detail.

I do realize it is an interesting topic so I will try to write about our knife testing soon.

Later

Mick

I've seen a Strider MT driven into a rock face and used as the primary point off which this someone rappelled off a cliff. Hmm, what else. I've seen an idiot beat his DB edge first against a piece of rebar until he was blue in the face only to have it retain a perfectly usable cutting surface. I've seen a Caddy (Car) pretty much cut apart by a SEAL 2000. I know of a helicopter tail boom that was cut off by a Strider. I know of Master Locks that were popped off with a WB. That and my SLCC cuts some pretty mean string too!;)

Well the Strider guys finally, sent me an E mail with some of the test that they have done. They were pretty impressive. I dont think I should have had to go through all this to get test results. If someone makes a product and a potential consummer ask's about what test they put their product through, they should be willing to answer any and all questions. Strider guys thanks for your help.

In all fairness to Strider, if they had to "take the time" to answer everybody's questions, then that would take up the their valuable knifemaking time! But I'm glad you got your answers.

I have seen three of the old time demonstrations at shows, one in particular the defunct Great Western Show, and I saw Duane slam a DB into concrete, smack a steel chair, rammed into a steel table leg, and there was very little damage, if any, to the knife. The demos, I guess in the eyes of the show people, were dangerous. I guess they didn't want any sharp objects flying out or peoples' hands, even though we all know the Striderguys take all precautionary measures and want to limit the number of casualties.

I deserve answers before I spend my hard earned $300 plus for one of there knifes. If they wanted to save time answering questions post them on there web site!

BM,

I understand where you are coming from completely.

Strider is the best company I've ever dealt with on any consumer item. They not only interact on their website but also on this board and in person.

;)

Strider and Dwyer show up on the message boards, at the shows and around the bases and have daily contact with their customers (many of whom are involved in the business of disciplined violence). I've seen their work and am very glad that BOS and the rest of the team are producing this quality of gear.

;)

Bushmaster-You keep pushing on this, so I'll try to be diplomatic. Most so called testing is B.S. Its just like magic bullets in the firearms world. The Strider guys have a phenomonal reputation in the real world, with real world operators. Their company was not created as a consumer friendly, heavily hyped knife company with lots of "testing" and glossy pictures. Their recent publicity in print has given the idea that they are some fast paced new start-up-they aren't. I would never base a gear purchase on how extensive a website is. Any computer geek can whip up a fancy website with lots of stuff. Mick and Duane grind in 8 hour shifts, and it is not always easy for them to be the "question" guys on the phone while some worker is grinding away in the shop-thats not how things work at Strider-there is no "worker" grinding. Many of the folks on this forum were trying to get you to read some testimonials from actual users, as opposed to some printed format. If you have a concern about how a knife performs in a specific function-ask. Somebody here can probably get you some real world examples of what you are looking for in a specific function. During my early years in the knife stuff, I fell for the whole hype and testing thing. I learned through experience that you can make tests say just about anything you want. Hopefully you'll spend your hard earned money on a Strider. You'll never have to worry about it breaking (if it does, you get a new one), and you'll have a piece of gear with a proven in- field track record of performance, and not a lab queen. Good Luck on your quest.

All I need to know is this: The Strider guys put their stuff through tests so bad that they were deemed unsafe to do. And second, if it breaks, they fix it. That's all that's relevant to me. As for breaking a Strider, you'd REALLY have to work on it.

NYETI, No I am not pushing this if you would have read all my post I stated that I received some test information from Strider. Not as much as would have liked, but it will do. They could save time and post more test info on there web site, instead of taking them away from their grind time. I have never read on this post about anybody using their Strider for hard use except Cliff Stamp. I did a search, found a lot of people cutting cardboard but no real hard use.

I did call Strider toward the end of January and talked to Duane he explained the difference between the WB and BT. I was considering buying one of those models for an upcomming deployment. I told Duane that we were told to have our bags backed, but we had no deployment date yet. Duane told me to call back the first part of Feburary and there should be no problem getting one, before I get deployed. So I ordered the BT on 24Jan02 (the same day I talked to Duane). Well I called back of Feburary and they were at the shot show, so I called back the second week of Feburary, Duane was not there, so I spoke to the lady who answered the phone Monic. She took my name and number and stated Duane would call me back. No return call after a week so I called back again the third week of Feburary with my deployment date. Still Duane was not there. Once again I was told he would call back. He never returned my call. So on the 25th of Feburary I cancelled my order via E-mali, because I never heard back from Duane, and Monic stated it would be 4 months before it would be ready. Which would have been too late.( would not have done me any good sitting at home in the mail pile). I did not want any special treatment just an honest answer. Was I going to be able to recieve the knife before I left? Since Duane never called me back, I never got that answer.
So as for there customer service it sucks. Its not like every time you call you can talk to Mick and Duane at will, stopping them from grinding away. I am sure there knives are top of the line. I recieved the info I requested as far as I am concerened this is over. I only have about 8 days left.

DON RAC, that is all you need to know, I wanted more info and Strider finally gave me that info.

Back