Testing...testing...HeavyChopper

the HC has found its niche.

pb9jB2H.jpg

this big heavy knife is the perfect complement to the brusher. I'm close to hq so don't carry anything but the tool. It'll only cut up to about an 1", so the heavy knife is really handy for getting bigger stuff out of the way with not much effort, which is important cuz running that brusher is real tiring on the arms.

hq;

3dcR13R.jpg

really glad I had a lanyard tied today. She bounced off a branch, I lost my grip I was sighting down the point as it riccocheted toward my face. Woulda been a shame to ruin such a thing of beauty

6lC7Q8s.jpg

generally speaking, more weight equals more chips removed in less time. The comparison chopping you want to see will only reveal that part of the equation and I'll guarantee that, all things being equal, the heaviest knife will 'chop best'

The LC was not originally designed to be a 'chopper' per se. It was designed to get you through thick undergrowth with the least amount of weight. Its handle morphed into a shape better suited to stationary chopping, and in my mind, suits the HC perfectly. I've been thinking a lot on the LC, and may revisit the design at some point in the future, specifically addressing some of the ideas I've had regarding the handle

generally speaking, more weight equals more chips removed in less time. The comparison chopping you want to see will only reveal that part of the equation and I'll guarantee that, all things being equal, the heaviest knife will 'chop best'

The LC was not originally designed to be a 'chopper' per se. It was designed to get you through thick undergrowth with the least amount of weight. Its handle morphed into a shape better suited to stationary chopping, and in my mind, suits the HC perfectly. I've been thinking a lot on the LC, and may revisit the design at some point in the future, specifically addressing some of the ideas I've had regarding the handle
IMO the LC in addition to addressing the handle, should be made longer by at least 1 inch (2 inches longer would be even better) total blade length-11-12 inches, to make it function better as its intended purpose (Thick undergrowth) Machete Like :thumbsup:

Last edited:
dug up an old photo of the original LC design. I've learned a shit ton since then, so I feel pretty confident in saying that if I do revisit the LC it is going to kick some ass

CT6q7lG.jpg

love having this knife while I run the brusher! She's such a bruiser, doesn't take much effort to clear limbs and other stuff that's either too big or too high for the brusher to take out. The LC will do the job, but it was designed more for the smaller stuff that the brusher is used for. The HC's added weight and stiffness make for good cuts even when my arms are shredded from running the brusher
H52ArNn.jpg

So what would be your preferred knife to carry on a bicycle and use for clearing/maintaining mountain bike trails ? LC, MC, HC ?? Cuzz that's what I need. :)

Fun Fact: the LC was designed specifically to be carried while riding. One of my LC protos has a wrapped handle and simple aluminum scabbard for extra weight savings and safety. I've carried and used it lots

Back