Texas House Bill 1935 Tracking Thread

Rather than gum up the other threads on Texas knife laws, I'm starting this thread to specifically track and report on Texas HB 1935 this legislative session.

Yesterday, the House finally got around to reading the bill the first time and assigning it to a committee.

The bill has been assigned to the Criminal Jurisprudence committee.

The members of that committee are:

Rep. Joe Moody (Chair)
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0728

Rep. Todd Hunter (Vice-Chair)
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0672

Rep. Terry Canales
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0426

Rep. Barbara Gervin-Hawkins
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0708

Rep. Cole Hefner
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0271

Rep. Mike Lang
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0656

Rep. Terry Wilson
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0309

For emailing a representative, go to the following URL::
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/Members.aspx?Chamber=H

Capitol Mailing Address for all Representatives:

Name of Representative or Senator
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

For emailing a representative, go to the following URL::
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/Members.aspx?Chamber=H

Select the name of the representative you wish to email.

Just under the Line "Contact Information" is a link to each representatives communication page, where you may submit an email to the representative after filling in the requisite information.

Capitol Mailing Address for all Representatives:

The Honorable Name of Representative
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768

Hopefully, either Critter or knifelobbyist will let us know pretty soon as to when we should start contacting the committee members.

We probably should NOT start today because they just got the bill this morning and haven't even had time to read it yet.

When and if we need everyone to write, you all will be among the first to know. Todd is working the bill and there's LOTS that goes on behind the scenes. So, please just hold fire until and if we need you. Thanks!

The bill is scheduled for a committee hearing on Monday, 03 April 2017.

Per Critter's post in General, the time is now to contact the committee members urging them to support the bill.

Call the representatives listed in post # 1, or send them emails, or both.

You don't need or want to be wordy. Simple is better.

Just state

"Please vote "YES" on House Bill 1935."

Thanks to Doug, Todd and all the other folks from Knife Rights working in the background.

Still in pending committee.

In the hearing, testimony/etc happened. Someone (on the committee?? maybe) submitted a substitute bill. The substitute was discussed.

Now, we are again in wait mode.

Still in pending committee.

In the hearing, testimony/etc happened. Someone (on the committee?? maybe) submitted a substitute bill. The substitute was discussed.

Now, we are again in wait mode.

The sponsor (Rep Frullo) offered a "Committee Substitute" which was adopted. It changed the bill from mandating that schools "shall' expel a student found in possession of an "illegal knife" to stating that a school "MAY" expel a student in possession of an "illegal knife". We wanted to leave schools the discretion to make that decision. The amendment was well received and should not impede progress.

Now we are indeed in "wait" mode. Hopefully the committee will move the bill soon.

Todd Rathner
Knife Rights
Director of Legislative Affairs

Thanks for the update, Todd, but it leaves me confused.

If the bill eliminates the term "illegal knife" from the penal code, how can a school expel someone for carrying an illegal knife? Illegal as defined by each school? Or is there another bill somewhere in the works that defines "school illegal knife"?

Thanks for the update. I see it still lists the undefined "Bowie knife." I wish there was a definition of that somewhere - and I'd kind of like to know what made it show up everywhere. But, I'm thrilled to see things having progressed this far. And I totally understand that exceptions have to be made for schools to get anything to pass.

Thanks for the good work.

As a follow up, will this remove the 5 1/2" restriction across the state?

UPDATE:

Knife Rights’ bipartisan Texas Knife Law Reform Bill, HB 1935, that would repeal the ban on all “illegal knives” in Texas statutes could be voted on by the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee as early as Monday April 17th. It is important to call and email the members of the committee so that they are aware of the importance of this bill to the public.

If you live, work or travel in Texas, please contact the committee members TODAY and politely ask them to “please vote “YES” on HB 1935.” That’s all you need to do, short and simple.

You can easily send an email to all the members of the Committee using Knife Rights new Legislative Action Center: Click here to send emails to the Committee

Or phone:
Chairman Joe Moody: (512) 463-0728
Vice Chair Todd Hunter: (512) 463-0672
Rep. Terry Canales: (512) 463-0426
Rep. Barbara Gervin-Hawkins: (512) 463-0708
Rep. Cole Hefner: (512) 463-0271
Rep. Mike Lang: (512) 463-0656
Rep. Terry Wilson: (512) 463-0309
Sponsored by Representative John Frullo with co-sponsor Rep. Harold Dutton, HB 1935 would complete Knife Rights’ efforts to bring knife freedom to Texas by removing entirely the definition of “illegal knife” in Section 46.01(6) of the Penal Code. This includes the prohibition on double edge blades, Bowie knives and the 5.5-inch carry limit.

Back