Texas House Bill 1935 Tracking Thread

House postponed consideration/vote until Monday out of respect for the UT stabbing victim. Unfortunately, that sad event will probably cause politicians to add useless amendments to the bill like 'no long knives in schools' so they can publicly profess it's 'for the children'.

We will be very lucky to get anything out of the house after the stabbing. I'm fighting for literally every inch I can get right now. I have been at the capitol all day, every day since Tuesday. It's bad. Our joint authors Frullo, Dutton, and Moody are helping every way they can.

Having said that, we will most likely end up with a bill that looks a lot like HB3884 from last year.

We will be very lucky to get anything out of the house after the stabbing. I'm fighting for literally every inch I can get right now. I have been at the capitol all day, every day since Tuesday. It's bad. Our joint authors Frullo, Dutton, and Moody are helping every way they can.

Having said that, we will most likely end up with a bill that looks a lot like HB3884 from last year.

If I may ask, what exactly was their response to the UT incident ? Are they going to strike down the bill altogether, or are they willing to make some kind of compromise to appease both those who advocate knife rights as well as the people affected by the incident ? My apologies for not knowing how these things work.

Just for clarification, how is HB 3884 different from HB 1935 ? I looked it up and I see the term "illegal knife" crossed out on certain parts, but frankly I don't understand how crossing out those words is any different from eliminating the illegal knife section all together. My apologies for not being legal jargon literate :confused:. Wish people would just write these statutes in lame men's terms...

Last edited:
I'm sure you have already done so, Todd, but have you pointed out to the legislators that the perpetrator didn't care what the CURRENT law was, much less what 1935 would have changed the law to? The murder and assaults were were done despite what current law says.

There is no more accurate wind gauge than a politician seeking tribute. Nor is anyone more unprincipled.

But yes, thank you knifelobbiest, for fighting the gale.

I'm sure you have already done so, Todd, but have you pointed out to the legislators that the perpetrator didn't care what the CURRENT law was, much less what 1935 would have changed the law to? The murder and assaults were were done despite what current law says.

I gave Todd the day off... ;) You might have noticed, over the years, that logic and rationality are not particularly relevant in such situations. Not that many in the State House don't get it, but they are not the issue.

If I may ask, what exactly was their response to the UT incident ? Are they going to strike down the bill altogether, or are they willing to make some kind of compromise to appease both those who advocate knife rights as well as the people affected by the incident ? My apologies for not knowing how these things work.

Todd is working vary hard with the sponsors to salvage the bill in light of the tragedy at UT. This is what your member dues and donations in the Ultimate Steel go for. I am sure you've heard how getting legislation done is a lot like making sausage. You really don't want to know what goes into it. Trust me when I say that it's an insult to sausage makers. Keep your fingers crossed and if you haven't already made a donation in this year's Ultimate Steel...

Help Knife Rights continue to forge A Sharper Future™ by making a donation in the Ultimate Steel™
and you could WIN YOUR CHOICE from OVER $200,000 in Knives, Guns and More!

Just for clarification, how is HB 3884 different from HB 1935 ? I looked it up and I see the term "illegal knife" crossed out on certain parts, but frankly I don't understand how crossing out those words is any different from eliminating the illegal knife section all together. My apologies for not being legal jargon literate :confused:. Wish people would just write these statutes in lame men's terms...

The final version of HB 3884 had been amended to included a number of location specific prohibitions. HB 1935 as voted out of committee had no such prohibitions. As I said, keep your fingers crossed.

I have been through every imaginable angle with the sponsors, who are rock solid. Logic has no role here. If we get a bill out, it will only be because they stood firm against quite a force. The bill is scheduled to heard on the floor at 4PM local time today. I'll be in the gallery.

Doug's answer is correct HB3884 had "location restrictions" added. HB1935 could end up similarly. I'm not going into further details at this time. I'm heading back tot the capitol now.

Am I reading the amendment correctly? Seems the House passed the bill with a single amendment which basically says the 'location restrictions' only apply to persons under the age of 18?!?!

I'm shocked...if that's what the amended and passed bill says.

So on to the Senate.

Yee haa!

HB1935 passed a critical vote today with an amendment. The amendment creates a category called "location restricted knives" they are defined as a knife with a blade over 5.5". They may not be carried in schools, 51% establishments, correctional facilities, churches and a one or two other narrow places.

They may be carried anywhere else.

All other knives on the "illegal knife" list will be removed from statute.

There are many more steps to go, but this was a crucial vote today.

TR

Ahhhh, yes, I see. So blades in excess of 5.5 inches are being restricted much like LTC handguns. Could have been MUCH worse!

Thanks, again, knife lobbyist.

Excellent news about passing a vote.

Since I never go to schools, have no intention of visiting a correctional facility, never take anything bigger than 5-1/4" to church, and only occasionally go to a 51% (where I currently already leave all 4"+ in the vehicle), the location restrictions will not affect me. :D

I may not like the slippery slope camel's nose of restrictions, but any progress is better than none.

Don't forget you can carry anything you want up to 5.5" in all these places. It's a HUGE step in the right direction.

Am I reading the amendment correctly? Seems the House passed the bill with a single amendment which basically says the 'location restrictions' only apply to persons under the age of 18?!?!

I'm shocked...if that's what the amended and passed bill says.

So on to the Senate.

Incorrect.

Ahhhh, yes, I see. So blades in excess of 5.5 inches are being restricted much like LTC handguns. Could have been MUCH worse!

Thanks, again, knife lobbyist.

It sure could have. There were people telling our sponsor that this was like passing a gun bill after Newtown. Ridiculous. But indeed, this could have been very bad.

TR

I didn't expect any part of this bill to survive. Thank you to the sponsors and thank you knifelobbyist for working so hard on this.

Yee haa!

HB1935 passed a critical vote today with an amendment. The amendment creates a category called "location restricted knives" they are defined as a knife with a blade over 5.5". They may not be carried in schools, 51% establishments, correctional facilities, churches and a one or two other narrow places.

They may be carried anywhere else.

All other knives on the "illegal knife" list will be removed from statute.

There are many more steps to go, but this was a crucial vote today.

TR

Right on sir ! I'm not going to lie, I had my doubts, not of you of course, but because of the circumstances and what not. I truly am grateful that you helped repeal an outdated and archaic ban in my native Lone Star State. So just to be clear, the "illegal knife" portion of chapter 46 is no longer applicable, but they're still going to uphold the location restrictions in chapter 46.03 of the statutes ? I want to do a celebration vlog about this and just want to make sure I'm getting my facts straight. My apologies for constantly asking for clarification about these things, I tried looking for updated info online but could not find any updated versions of the statutes.

Last edited:
Back