Texas

As everyone here is more than likely aware Texas struck down most of its archaic knife laws including switchblade and gravity knives ie Ballisong / butterfly knives. As well as creating a blanket law protecting citizens from big government loving cities like San Antonio and Corpus Christy from passing laws that circumvent state laws. Now San Antonio PD is measuring knives from tip of blade to end of handle if the knife is full tanged. These cases will of course also be thrown out but just an FYI they are doing it anyway.

Now I am pleased to say it appears Gov. Abbot will be signing new legislation completely doing away with blade length regulations as well as legalization of black jacks, brass knuckles, kubatons and several other self defense tools. I will try to stay on top of this and keep everyone posted.

Actually, Governor Abbott signed the bill on Saturday, 25 May.

HB 446 removes the prohibition on POSSESSING knuckles and on the carrying of clubs, the definition of which included tomahawks, night sticks, billy clubs, etc.

Until 01 September 2019, when the new law goes into effect, it is still a FELONY in Texas just to POSSESS/OWN knuckles or any thing that has been deemed to be knuckles by a court case.

This is the only reason I have never bought any WW1 M1917 or M1918 trench knives - mere possession was a felony.

AFTER 01 September, we will be able to carry knuckles, tomahawks, billy clubs, etc just like anything else.

Another set of bills, SB 2381 and HB 2342, would have reduced the number of locations where the "restricted knife" law would apply. Unfortunately, while both bills cleared their respective committees by a wide margin (9-0 on HB and 7-1-1 on SB) and went to their respective chamber's Calendar, neither of those bills ever cleared the calendar bottleneck and died without every being voted on. Oh well, there's always the 2021 session.

Until 01 September 2019, when the new law goes into effect, it is still a FELONY in Texas just to POSSESS/OWN knuckles or any thing that has been deemed to be knuckles by a court case.

I think "felony" is a bit of an overstatement. Possession of other "prohibited weapons" is a felony, but for "knuckles," it's a Class A misdemeanor. See Tex. Penal Code sec. 46.05(a)(2) & (e) ("An offense under Subsection (a)(2) is a Class A misdemeanor.").

But it sure is nice to see stupid laws like this go away.

People have been arrested for such ridiculous things as having a brass knuckle shaped belt buckle, possessing a "knuckle clutch" (a purse with a handle that looks like brass knuckles), and possessing a kitty keychain (a kitty-shaped plastic keychain with two finger holes that a woman might use for self defense). But curiously, I've yet to see a reported case where someone was prosecuted for mere possession of an M1917 or M1918 trench knife (or something similar). The closest I've seen is a case where an appellate court said such a knife qualified as a "deadly weapon" (the using or carrying of which in connection with a drug trafficking offense made the defendant ineligible for community supervision). Still, I'd wait until after September 1 to buy one, just in case.

Last edited:
As everyone here is more than likely aware Texas struck down most of its archaic knife laws including switchblade and gravity knives ie Ballisong / butterfly knives. As well as creating a blanket law protecting citizens from big government loving cities like San Antonio and Corpus Christy from passing laws that circumvent state laws. Now San Antonio PD is measuring knives from tip of blade to end of handle if the knife is full tanged. These cases will of course also be thrown out but just an FYI they are doing it anyway Audacity Find My iPhone Origin.

Now I am pleased to say it appears Gov. Abbot will be signing new legislation completely doing away with blade length regulations as well as legalization of black jacks, brass knuckles, kubatons and several other self defense tools. I will try to stay on top of this and keep everyone posted.
SB 2381 and HB 2342, would have reduced the number of locations where the "restricted knife" law would apply. Unfortunately, while both bills cleared their respective committees by a wide margin (9-0 on HB and 7-1-1 on SB) and went to their respective chamber's Calendar, neither of those bills ever cleared the calendar bottleneck and died without every being voted on. Oh well, there's always the 2021 session.

Last edited:
SB 2381 and HB 2342, would have reduced the number of locations where the "restricted knife" law would apply. Unfortunately, while both bills cleared their respective committees by a wide margin (9-0 on HB and 7-1-1 on SB) and went to their respective chamber's Calendar, neither of those bills ever cleared the calendar bottleneck and died without every being voted on. Oh well, there's always the 2021 session.

Actually, SB 2381 was passed out of the Senate and sent to the House. https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/knife-rights-texas-illegal-knife-repeal-bill-introduced/

Back