Lightweight Pach Chirra by Ram Kumar

I'd keep it myself. Beautiful knife. Hard to tell from photo but should be able to clean that bad spot up.

I’m very happy for you Amko but not happy to see that edge. Tempering must not be good on it and/or edge profile can be off slightly. Has it been used yet?

I'd try least aggressive and work my way up. I'd probably try the Chakma first just to see what it feels like. I might then go to sand paper. Stone if I have to but doubt I'd have to go there.

Do you intend to use it regular or once in awhile but mostly admire and display.

If it's a user George might be right and the temper could be too hard and brittle. I don't know metalurgy very well but it could just be too hard right at the edge and once it's cleaned up be good to go. Or NOT.

Myself I'd hang it, too pretty to chop with but it's been done and the kami's build them for that purpose so the choice is yours.

I'd try least aggressive and work my way up. I'd probably try the Chakma first just to see what it feels like. I might then go to sand paper. Stone if I have to but doubt I'd have to go there.

Do you intend to use it regular or once in awhile but mostly admire and display.

If it's a user George might be right and the temper could be too hard and brittle. I don't know metalurgy very well but it could just be too hard right at the edge and once it's cleaned up be good to go. Or NOT.

Myself I'd hang it, too pretty to chop with but it's been done and the kami's build them for that purpose so the choice is yours.
This will be a display khukuri but I will try and work on the edge as you suggest. Admittedly I have yet to see it in hand but barring that slight Burr the rest of the pictures provided seem great. It would still be a khukuri from an illustrious kami, can't argue with that! From the photos I've seen, those Chirras sure do rock! Thanks Bawanna!

My concern about cleaning up the edge is that you might end up with a flat spot, unless you also take off edge material for some distance on both sides of the chipped section. Maybe the chips are so small that the flat spot wouldn't be noticeable. Can't tell from the pictures.

Something else you could do before trying a fix (and before having it shipped to India) is test the edge. Ask your friend in Canada to do a bit of chopping on some wood. Maybe a small tree branch, or the side of a stump. If another part of the edge chips or rolls, then I would return it. Even if this is a display khukuri, it would be good to know that it is capable of doing real work. Thamar is still making khukuris, and Yangdu is very good about doing refunds or exchanges for flawed blades.

Thanks Bawanna and Dave, I think I'll either leave it as is or maybe file it a little but will not reshape the whole edge.
It took 70 bucks to move it from Reno to my mail forwarder in California to Edmonton Canada, so I can't really afford to send it back. Earliest I can see it is end of February. Once I have it I will ask your advice again. Thanks.

My concern about cleaning up the edge is that you might end up with a flat spot, unless you also take off edge material for some distance on both sides of the chipped section. Maybe the chips are so small that the flat spot wouldn't be noticeable. Can't tell from the pictures.

Something else you could do before trying a fix (and before having it shipped to India) is test the edge. Ask your friend in Canada to do a bit of chopping on some wood. Maybe a small tree branch, or the side of a stump. If another part of the edge chips or rolls, then I would return it. Even if this is a display khukuri, it would be good to know that it is capable of doing real work. Thamar is still making khukuris, and Yangdu is very good about doing refunds or exchanges for flawed blades.
/
This appears to be damage from a strike. I've done this when striking at the base or root of a shrub/tree, and hitting a rock.
What David states in his post is true. If you reprofile by removing the chipped area, you will end up with an obvious indentation. For aesthetic reasons, you could reprofile the portion where the damage is, and continue to the tip of the blade. Then you would need to reprofile the bevel.
Personally, I would simply leave it. I have a damaged M-43, which was damaged due to my mishandling. I simply re-sharpened, and kept going.

I guess this is more painful, if you are collecting for display. I realize that makes a difference.

I do not have the pach chirra in stock for now but I can send you dui or tin chirra for replacement.
Let me know where to send?

Auntie generously offered to replace the knife with a Tin Chirra. Have sent her the address. HI customer service is the best!

My friend in Edmonton arranged to fix the chipped knife, so no replacement knife necessary and no hassle for all concerned.

Edit: Auntie this is not a Thamar, it's a Ram Kumar. He is my favorite kami!

Last edited:
Just checked out a photo of the Pach Chirra post its chipped edge fixed and boy this bad boy's looking great. Glad I held on to it. This one promises to be a wicked fighter. Should get my hands on it mid-February. Wow, another Ram Kumar!

Last edited:
Just checked out a photo of the Pach Chirra post its chipped edge fixed and boy this bad boy's looking great. Glad I held on to it. This one promises to be a wicked fighter. Should get my hands on it mid-February. Wow, my first Thamar! Looking forward to learning first-hand what the magic's about!
Amko, I’m very happy for you!! I discovered I have one of his Pach Chirras and a Shamsher!

Amko I’m sorry I posted so many but I never know if they will load or not! Top one is Pach bottom is Shamsher! Both Thamar

Back