Thank You, a Hults Bruk hatchet

Finding this forum has made me feel a little better about the loss of Grandfather's hatchet. My grandfather was a poor man, my only inheritance was a passed down hatchet and a double bitted axe. Even then I think I did better than any of my cousins. The double bitted axe along with my rigger's axe was stolen from my cabin when I was away working. Nothing to be done about that. But the hatchet loss was my fault, we were out collecting our winter's supply of wood and the hatchet got either left behind or bounced off .

The replacement was a Swedish made one. After finding this site my curiosity got the better of me, so I checked in the travel trailer, it's a Hults Bruk . Even if I don't have grandfather's one ,I have a good one. Maybe I should take it out and get a losable one , an Estwing ?

We'd love to see pictures, if you got em. I have a vintage HB hatchet I absolutely love, but part of that love is consumed with how well it works for the type of job I do with it (mostly carving kindling off split wood). That said, it pretty much stays on the hearth in the house so it doesn't wander off.
Mine is pre-1988 and has fairly flat cheeks. Possibly a '70's Agdor. It's a .6kg head. Works well for kindling and it has chopped down a few saplings in the yard.
If you haven't found it yet, there is all sorts of great info and pictures on Hults Bruk's website. At the top, there's a link to Vintage Axes.

While my computer skills involve looking for the keys, I can click a mouse, here is the one I replaced Grandfather's hatchet with http://hultsbruk1697.se/vintage-axes-hatchets/hults-bruk-hatchet-1970s/ Mine has $2.75 written on it. That would have been the new price. Oddly enough in the travel trailer under one of the seats we also have my mother's Sandvik hatchet, she liked campfires when camping, as does my wife. It would date from the late '60s or early '70s. They were common and inexpensive here in Canada.

Finding this forum has made me feel a little better about the loss of Grandfather's hatchet. My grandfather was a poor man, my only inheritance was a passed down hatchet and a double bitted axe. Even then I think I did better than any of my cousins. The double bitted axe along with my rigger's axe was stolen from my cabin when I was away working. Nothing to be done about that. But the hatchet loss was my fault, we were out collecting our winter's supply of wood and the hatchet got either left behind or bounced off .

The replacement was a Swedish made one. After finding this site my curiosity got the better of me, so I checked in the travel trailer, it's a Hults Bruk . Even if I don't have grandfather's one ,I have a good one. Maybe I should take it out and get a losable one , an Estwing ?
Life is to short, use your best hatchet.

Good Point

Camping hatchets had one price point , but with real axes , it was different . I bought a Hults Bruk 1.5 Kg (3 1/?) in the late '70s. I paid over $40. At Woodwards department store. It was a different time, department stores that were also an outfitters and sold the quality tools. Certainly better quality then Simpsons-Sears, they only had Craftsman. I was moving north and I needed a good axe, so that's what they sold me. Now I learn it was quality.

Reactions: A17
Back