Thank You KABAR and Guyon

I won this KABAR Snake Charmer in the cucumber carving contest.

Thank you Kabar and Guyon for the fun contest and this great
knife.

When these came out I didn't get the Snake Charmer thing at
first. Once I realized this was a bird and trout knife it
started to make sense. Reading it was S35VN was what made me
decide I wanted one.

So I couldn't believe how lucky I was to win one of these for carving cucumbers.

When it arrived and I first held it I completely understood the
ring on the end. It will be so secure in slippery hands. I will
definitely be more comfortable using this around water than a
regular knife.

I like the jimping, the flat grind and the pointy tip. It feels
very controllable and precise in my hand. It came out of the box
VERY sharp too.

I also like the sheath a lot. Its easy to use and feels very
secure with the knife hanging upside down.(handle down)

If there was one thing I could change about this knife it would
be the color of the bright green sheath. I would prefer black or brown. But
that is a very minor thing on this great knife.

For the last several years I have used a BK14 as my fishing
knife. It has done a great job but this Snake Charmer is my new
fishing knife.

I will post pictures of the next trout I catch being cleaned
with this.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

lCZD2P.jpg

6mo9SI.jpg

libz1t.jpg

0jKgO9.jpg

ncT6o4.jpg

Congrats man. Those have piqued my interest on more than one occasion. Figured it would be too small for my hands though.

You are most welcome; thank you for the great write up. The Snake Charmer is one of my favorites. I carry mine during hunting season in WNY. Perhaps we dropped the ball on the bird and trout concept and need to do a better job on that front. Enjoy and thanks again!

The old stacked leather stand-bys, the 1226 Little Finn, the 1232 Hunter and 1233 Skinner, are excellent bird & trout knives. And Kabar still makes them. :D Excellent gutters/skinners/all-round EDC fixed blades.

These patterns have been around since before WW2.

The 1232 is the knife my grandfather used for gutting/cleaning squirrels and rabbits.

It was the first non-kitchen fixed blade I ever handled or used.

And those who have read the story elsewhere know that the 1232 is, of course, the fixed blade he wore while working on machinery. The knife he used to slice his sleeve off when the sleeve got caught in the chain drives on the combine. A pair of 1232s is what he carried while working on equipment after I asked him "What if it had been your other arm?"

Well, a pair of them is what he carried AFTER the Western Auto store got more 1232s in stock. :D His temporary 2nd FB was a Western L46-5 until then. That L46-5 became my personal 1st FB.

The old stacked leather stand-bys, the 1226 Little Finn, the 1232 Hunter and 1233 Skinner, are excellent bird & trout knives. And Kabar still makes them. :D Excellent gutters/skinners/all-round EDC fixed blades.

These patterns have been around since before WW2.

The 1232 is the knife my grandfather used for gutting/cleaning squirrels and rabbits.

It was the first non-kitchen fixed blade I ever handled or used.

And those who have read the story elsewhere know that the 1232 is, of course, the fixed blade he wore while working on machinery. The knife he used to slice his sleeve off when the sleeve got caught in the chain drives on the combine. A pair of 1232s is what he carried while working on equipment after I asked him "What if it had been your other arm?"

Well, a pair of them is what he carried AFTER the Western Auto store got more 1232s in stock. :D His temporary 2nd FB was a Western L46-5 until then. That L46-5 became my personal 1st FB.

Great read zzy. You left me wanting more.

Ditto this. Now the knife makes sense. Nice write up Maus.

I missed the bird and trout concept as well, until now. Might have to take a closer look. Thanks!

Thanks guys. I'm happy to hear this helped.

Glad to see your settled in and feeling a little better B.Mauser:thumbsup: Great write up. Im gonna give my snakecharmer another chance now.

Hi Tanker. Thank you. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I would definitely give it another chance. I sure am enjoying mine.

Congrats man. Those have piqued my interest on more than one occasion. Figured it would be too small for my hands though.

Thanks Warrior. Yeah that sucks but I think you are right about it being to small for you. KABAR needs to come out with tan XXL line of knives :)

Ditto this. Now the knife makes sense. Nice write up Maus.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it Aikiguy.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/your-important-ka-bar-my-papas-ka-bar.1086041/#post-12491540

Post #12 in the above thread has the story that started me down the path into the black hole known as Fixed Blade Accumulation Syndrome.

I love that story, zz. That is one of the best parts about working for a company like KA-BAR. I have three brothers and when we were born our father bought us all KA-BAR's and gave them to us when we started hunting. Never knew back then I would be working for the company one day.

Back