1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Thank you Sal Glesser

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by sharpdentist, Dec 15, 2015.

1. sharpdentist

sharpdentist

Aug 28, 2015
    I feel it is time I say thank you Sal for all those amazing knives you make.

I just received my new Spyderco Puukko fixed blade with the ironwood handle, this complements the 2 Nilakkas I have (except for so many more Spydies).
    I am so pleased!
    Of all the objects that I own my knives are the most joyfull to me. My knives- Your knives.
    I just saw the other day the 2 parts youtube movie HQ Blades did on you and Eric. It makes me feel like we're almost family. (OK, not family but at least relatives).
    I wish you all the best, may you continue making amazing knives with your grandchildren.

2. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    I have since taken another serious look at the Nilakka.

3. Pokerchip

Pokerchip Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 26, 2015
    A BIG thank you for H1 steel:thumbup:

4. Lee48

Lee48

Apr 29, 2005
    I'll join in too. I thank Sal for the original model Endura I used until the serrations were worn away. It put me on the road to ruin with a couple dozen other Spydercos as companions today. And I thank Sal for all those other models that I've come to love over the years--Delica, Centofante, Dragonfly, Gayle Bradley, etc. Merry Christmas, Sal!

5. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks, Sal and Merry Christmas!

6. MaxFisher

MaxFisher

Feb 5, 2005
    I'll join in.

Sal, back in 2003 or 2004, I joined the Spyderco factory forum to ask a question about the riveted pivots on the FRN lockback models. You were one of the first few responders to that original thread, and you responded like my thoughts and opinions mattered. That was the moment I first new that I would be a life long Spyderco fan. I'd been carrying Spyderco for about 4 years at that point, and I never really stopped. I have my Delica 4 in my pocket as I type this. It is one of many that I own and a constant companion. Thank you for your knives. Thank you even more for your attention to your ELUs.

7. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Count me in! I also thank Sal for bringing H1 to my life!

8. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    I would also like to thank Mr. Glesser and son as well as the rest of Spyderco for, well, everything.

In a market flooded with garbage, Spyderco consistently produces top notch quality. Owning and carrying a Spyderco provides one with a sense of pride.

One musn't also forget the importance of the Sharpmaker. Many knife enthusiasts like myself have a hard time sharpening knives, but with this tool we have a degree of self sufficiency. It's a beautiful thing.

Spyderco consistently gives credit where credit is due, and Mr. Glesser is a real stand up guy. It's obvious he cares about what his customers think, and he directly interacts with us in ways we just don't see from most other manufacturers.

Spyderco is going to get a lot more business from me! Merry Christmas, everyone!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  9. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Yes, you summed up my sentiments quite well with this post. I really appreciate the way Sal conducts himself and how that affects the people around him. I find that even us knife nerds are a little more considerate, helpful and polite when hanging out on the Spyderco forum. Given the example that Sal sets I would be ashamed of myself if I didn't try to act my best around here, and I don't think I'm the only one that feels that way. Sal is a great example of changing the world around you through example and attraction, rather than trying to tell the rest of the world how to behave.

-Oh yeah, and the knives are cool too.:cool:

10. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    All that has been said times 100!

Sal responded to my concern on the lock release cut on opposite frame such as Resilience, Military and the discussion was very pleasant, though I still prefer GB style (no cutout).
    His value influence everyone and the crews are one of the best (Charlynn and the co-moderators immediately come to mind). thumbup:

Merry Christmas everybody!:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  11. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    A worthwhile thread so I'm gonna add my 2 pfennigs worth. Apologies for repeating myself as I said this in a thread a while ago, but I think it's germane and worth repeating here.

Sal, Eric and Spyderco listen to and interact with their customers in a way I really admire.
    Several years back, when users came back with comments and suggestions on the original Paramilitary, it was taken on board and the result was the Para2. And just look how that worked out.
    More recently, the community commented again and asked about the possibility of a smaller 3" version, which is going back to the blade size of the original Paramilitary.
    Sal interacted with that discussion here on BF, and now, bless him, a 3" Paramilitary (yet to be officially named I think) is in the works.
    How cool is that? I just don't see other makers doing that as openly and visibly, if at all.

I had Sal Glesser himself post a positive comment here on BF about a Para2 that I had modified (read: voided warranty) and posted a pic of. Made my day that did.

Sal, Eric, thank you for the awesome knives you make, and for your admirable business ethos. Merry Christmas!

12. TheOutdoorNerd

TheOutdoorNerd

Oct 30, 2015
    Thank you Sal and company for everything you do for us.

13. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Thanx much for the interest, support and kind words.

sal

14. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I try hard to avoid brand loyalty as I don't feel it benefits the consumer. Spyderco is the one company that invariably makes me want to break that rule and the inestimable Mr. Glesser is a big reason why. I hate to gush, but I honestly believe Mr. Glesser is the single most important figure in modern knife design. Combine that with humble demeanor, almost unprecedented desire and willingness to interact directly with the customer base (I think I've twice joked about wanting X knife only to have Mr. Glesser directly inform me that it was something he either wanted to do or was in the works), transparent and ethical business practices and seemingly endless commitment to innovation and excellence and I don't know how much more I can say.

Well, except that, while I know it's likely still a long way away, I'm far too excited about the Chinook 4. Which I keep saying. :D

15. ZuluKilo

ZuluKilo

Apr 28, 2012
    + 1000!

Besides an awesome portfolio of cutlery, this is what sets Sal and Spyderco apart from everyone else!!! :thumbup: