Thank You Sharpeners!

Accuse me of being cheesy but I sincerely want to thank everyone who contributes to this sub-forum.

I've been rubbing a blade on a stone for 40+ years but I have learned so much here through all of your generosity, experiences, and debates. I was terrible at sharpening for a long, long time and ultimately saved up for a KME. That was many years ago and it set me on the path to basic enlightenment. Just as a reminder, I'm older than the internet so ya know, we didn't always have instant access to stuff. :)

But you folks are always great. Agree or disagree or whatever. These past few days I've been reading the Science Of Sharp website, interacting with Big Brown Bear on YouTube (different name there), and just soaking in some pertinent info. So much knowledge!

While I do have knives in the so-called super steels, these days I'm pretty basic. Wusthoff, Dexter, Case, Buck, and so on make up most of what I prominently use. But the basics remain the same and I also still love reading and watching all of the other stuff as well.

HeavyHanded HeavyHanded , David Martin David Martin , @DeadboxHero , Obsessed with Edges Obsessed with Edges , @FortyTwoBlades , Jason B. Jason B. , @ToddS and so many others are just great assets and I genuinely appreciate their inputs.

Sharpening is the hardest easy thing I've ever done. :)

I was terrible at sharpening for a long, long time
I can relate to that.
interacting with Big Brown Bear on YouTube
His YouTube was partly responsible for me jumping over the fence and buying a K390 Spyderco Police. If it wasn't for him I would have slowly and cautiously slithered over the fence and hoped for the best. I'm very happy with the knife; surprisingly so.
saved up for a KME.
As I always say if one wants / needs /expects to produce a precisely machined microscopic part (an edge) don't go about doing it by hand, use a precise machine tool (KME).
Glad you are winning. Me to. Now. :rolleyes: :D

One of the most important of the many things I have learned here is how the elements a stone is made up from and the hardness of the stone and the binder all relate to the steel I am trying to abrade.

I came here thinking ceramic was harder than any steel I would be sharpening. That diamond plates were just a wowwie zowwie kind of stone that wasn't really necessary etc. . . .
Boy was I wrong.

As I always say if one wants / needs /expects to produce a precisely machined microscopic part (an edge) don't go about doing it by hand, use a precise machine tool (KME).
Glad you are winning. Me to. Now. :rolleyes: :D

I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say we're mildly familiar with your adoration of the guided system. Edge Pro maybe...? :p :D

The truth is, my KME rarely sees use any more. But it was vital in getting me to where I am now. It really taught me the fundamentals and more importantly, it gave me confidence. I could do it. I could produce super nice edges, defined in many ways. But, I love free hand sharpening and the siren song of stones once again came beckoning.

Another pivotal point for me came about a year ago on this forum. I was touting that I could get very good edges with steels such as S90V, S30V, etc. on my beloved Arkansas stones. The folks here politely told me I was on crack and just polishing both my edge and my stones. I didn't want to believe that. But want to or not, I had to. The truth was there before me and as stubborn as I am, I won't ignore reality and let emotions impede progress. I realized just how much more I had to learn and that I needed to be careful as someone else might take to heart what I was saying, if that was wrong, that would be terrible.

And so I bought more stones, played with more ideas and techniques, and powered through struggles (most of which can be boiled down to angle control) and am at a place where I'm really enjoying the edges I produce and understanding what type of edge I want. Still a lot to learn but loving every minute of it.

All good stuff! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I hate sharpening!:rolleyes:
4kOP2EE.jpg

A lot of people on that list helped me a lot, especially early on, and I would like to add one name to the list- Luong La.
I was having some frustrating times and he patiently got me through it. I am under the impression english is the third language he learned, plus I live on the canadian border in maine so we had some interesting conversations.
I am sure there are others we have forgotten, but I would definitely add him to the list of sharpening savants.
The light can on due to our conversations and I am grateful for his patience and ability to transfer his knowledge to an impatient, frustrated individual.
Good thread, nice to recognize these guys.

His bladeforums handle is "bluntcut" right? I've very much enjoyed reading what he's written here and his video about folding over the burr is fantastic!

Brian.
Brian, That would be him, I think he is a wizard, his videos are great. I have a few knives he made, between the geometry and his heat treats they are lasers one and all.
Folding the burr with a piece of hard wood is an awesome tool for a couple of otherwise problematic steels.
I owe that Man a great debt of gratitude, I have learned so much from him.

Brian, That would be him, I think he is a wizard, his videos are great. I have a few knives he made, between the geometry and his heat treats they are lasers one and all.
Folding the burr with a piece of hard wood is an awesome tool for a couple of otherwise problematic steels.
I owe that Man a great debt of gratitude, I have learned so much from him.

I'm fortunate enough to have a few of his earlier knives, fantastic and he really knows his stuff.

Back