Thanks Sal: me & spyderco vs 2 pit bulls

Your piss-poor attempt at cynicism is humorous. I was speaking specifically about dog walking. It would not be odd to see an individual walking around with a small bat when walking a dog.

they were out for a run. that was made clear in post 1

I am impressed by your ability to keep a levelhead and protect yourself and loved ones. As a parent of 2 little girls (3 and 5), I personally can't stand pitbulls - the statistics and virtually every single owner/dog pair I've seen in my area has only affirmed this dislike.

I am impressed by your ability to keep a levelhead and protect yourself and loved ones. As a parent of 2 little girls (3 and 5), I personally can't stand pitbulls - the statistics and virtually every single owner/dog pair I've seen in my area has only affirmed this dislike.

I hate to hear you feel that way, but I suppose there are plenty of other types of dogs you could have and love. Being educated about pit bulls is important. First, they are/were trained to be dog aggressive, not people aggressive. Most attacks are on other dogs, and they typically win. Attacks on humans do happen (you will hear about every last one in the media) but not really at a higher rate than some other dogs. Most attacks are from a group of free-roaming pit bulls and they usually attack a small child (disliking them more I bet, and understandably so) or an elderly person. Good pit bull owners always keep their pits leashed and contained properly because of their dog-aggressive tendencies. But, a properly raised pit that is socialized with other dogs and raised with children can make a wonderful pet that is not anymore dangerous than a lab, collie, or you name a breed. I am not trying to change your mind or anyone's mind on them, but feel that knowing the facts is important to understanding what the problem is. It is the owners' not the dogs, as most people know.

Although it slightly longer blade length might make it more problematic to carry, I think the Manix 2 is the perfect combination of compactness, blade width and length for fending off bad dogs. That said, fight a large and quick dog with a folder is not a job for someone without basic confidence in one's blade handling skills.

So someone asked me wouldn't a karambit have been a better blade type ? My answer was no because of the limitations of space and speed, the straight stab worked better under the circumstances presented. The native's spear point and broadly tapered blade I thought was the best geometry for trying to hit something vital with grossly placed straight stabs. A karambit, in my hands, would have a wider swing and I may have only penetrated superficially with all of the dogs movement. My jabs as a straight shot could follow their heads better and with more consistency and gross accuracy

Yesterday, with this thread (and its two images) in mind, I purchased for my wife a Native w/ pink handles (she likes pink...) for when she is out jogging. I hope she will never have to use it, but in case she will have to, I feel a tad better at the idea that she wouldn't be without any resource against an aggressive animal.

I'd like to thank you again for the inspiring story and best of luck with your wounds.

Glad you and your dogs are ok.

I always bring a knife when I take my dogs out for a walk for just this reason. About a month ago I had 2 dogs run up on my and my husky 1 was friendly but the other was about to attack him. I booted him away and pulled my knife(ZT560) out. The owner then decided to call her dogs in her house. 1-2 seconds later and it would have been bad. I kept expecting to get stopped by a cop after that but nothing happened.

Hi Traumadoc,

Thanx for sharing your story. Glad you guys are ok and glad you had the presence of mind and fortitude to do what was needed. We're also glad our knife was able to serve your needs.

We've always said "the most important part about a knife is that you have it with you when you need it".

Nicely done. :thumbup:

sal

That's a really horrible situation my friend I feel your pain. I was bitten by a dog last week and reached for my knife and it ran away. I think it knew I would've killed it if it would've come at me again. I'm very lucky that the dog I encountered wasn't a pit bull because the bite would've been much worse. I think I'm going to buy a good old can of pepper spray for the next time I decide to go for a walk. I would suggest you do the same because then no lives have to be lost.

That's a really horrible situation my friend I feel your pain. I was bitten by a dog last week and reached for my knife and it ran away. I think it knew I would've killed it if it would've come at me again. I'm very lucky that the dog I encountered wasn't a pit bull because the bite would've been much worse. I think I'm going to buy a good old can of pepper spray for the next time I decide to go for a walk. I would suggest you do the same because then no lives have to be lost.

This may come off as harsh or worse but owell. I feel that if there is a dog who is willing to outright attack a person or their pet it can die. If I ever hear that the dog that I booted jacked up a kid I'll feel like **** I didn't just kill it.

I agree, but it's much much easier to just spray the dog in the face and continue with your business rather than exerting all of your energy stabbing it to death. I'm not so much talking about morality I'm talking about convenience. But yes I totally agree with you if I had to kill a dog to defend myself or someone else I wouldn't feel bad at all.

Hey doc , good job you got some big cajones. I would hope to be able to do the same in a similar situation. The owners of those pits are $&@" bags. I own a pitbull and love her, it is not normal for the breed to have human aggression , that means the owners suck. They get the most powerful energetic breed they can, and don't walk it , or worse leave it tied up all day to go insane. I can't wait until it's some other breed the $&&" heads are interested in

Good that it worked out well! There are really no aggressive dogs where I run but still carry a knife. This is a perfect example of why I do. Being in California a handgun won't fly and the pepper spray laws are sketchy.

I hate to hear you feel that way, but I suppose there are plenty of other types of dogs you could have and love. Being educated about pit bulls is important. First, they are/were trained to be dog aggressive, not people aggressive. Most attacks are on other dogs, and they typically win. Attacks on humans do happen (you will hear about every last one in the media) but not really at a higher rate than some other dogs. Most attacks are from a group of free-roaming pit bulls and they usually attack a small child (disliking them more I bet, and understandably so) or an elderly person. Good pit bull owners always keep their pits leashed and contained properly because of their dog-aggressive tendencies. But, a properly raised pit that is socialized with other dogs and raised with children can make a wonderful pet that is not anymore dangerous than a lab, collie, or you name a breed. I am not trying to change your mind or anyone's mind on them, but feel that knowing the facts is important to understanding what the problem is. It is the owners' not the dogs, as most people know.

I can't agree more. People need to educate themselves a little more about the breed before writing them off as a man eating baby killing monster the media has lead people to believe. Statistically you will be bitten by a Dalmatian before a American pitbull terrier.

Unfortunately for any breed that chooses to fight with your dogs, they are your property and in the mix of the fight, a human hand, leg or any other part of your body looks about as appetizing as your dog's leg, head, etc and I have the right to defend my property, be it my body, my dogs or my house. The breed makes no difference, what makes the difference is how you prepare for and execute any plans to defend yourself from harm...this was the initial intent of this thread, not to bash any dog breed. Goodness knows there are human breeds that are far worse than a pit bull!!!

Take from this that you always need to be prepared for the unexpected and for those who disagree, I have to wonder why you have car insurance, life insurance, medical insurance, disability insurance, renters insurance, mortgage insurance, dental insurance...........my insurance it what I carry on me when I am out of the house, walking, running, playing, etc. I broke my cardinal rule and left without one of my weapons, i was lucky that my other weapon (the Native) was able to do the intended job and that I didn't need my sidearm to accomplish the same goal: defend us from worse harm.
Enough said.

Damn spydercos have killed a moutain lion and 2 pitbulls , this year, glad to hear everyones ok involved, I always wondered how a native would do in a SD situation well, question answered, Glad all who are involved are ok,

OMG did Sal Glesser just chime into the discussion himself? How cool was that. :thumbup::D

To the OP, sorry to hear of your attack, and I'm glad you're OK and were able to protect yourself.
It's good to know that the profile of the Native is "efficient" enough to be usefull in this situation.
I also carry one, but a newer model Native 5. I just like the robust lockback with the stainless liners and G10. Always wanted a pre delica standard model with liners and G10, or a Rookie, but they are older and more collectible.
So When the native 5 came out, with this similar style, I jumped on purchasing one.
I've been carrying it just to get use to the thicker size, and just thought of it as a strong stubby short bladed utility knife.
But your mentioning of the "permanent cavity" is interesting. It is a broad blade, and even though it's not long, it's size can theoretically cause more damage than a longer but slimmer blade profile. It makes a lot of sense if you think of it.
Interesting that you're a "traumadoc" and brought this up.

I also enjoy walks at night and have been known to carry a tactial light, spray, AND a knife. I always felt the blade would be the LAST line of defense if all of the less lethal options failed. Good to know it will do the job if it gets to that.

Keep us informed if anything else comes up like a possible lawsuit, it would be nice to see the irresponsible owner get theirs.

glad your safe, sucks that 2 dogs had to pay with their life due to some stupid owners, their need to be rules on ownership..
Regarding pitbulls, that some here even mention bans are ok is ignorant, you guys are subjected to same ignorant laws in your hobby knifes..
Pit bulls are great dog breed.

Back