Thanks those who adviced me

Thanks for advices on S1 steel. This is what came out of it.

rybicka.jpg

Its 49 cm long and 8 mm thick at spine with some distall tapper. Flat/convex grind, but I did it on this wheel:

rambo5.jpg

(Without decent equipment.)

First cutting with unsharpened (ground) blade

test1.jpg

Now I got to put some scales on it. The finish is rather ugly, but as its working knife I just buffed it straight from 150 grit hand rub. It looks massive, but the ricasso area tells how much steel got away.

Jaro

That thing is huge. Its more like a short sword. Nice job though. I can't believe you did it on a wheel. Can't wait to see it with some handles.

What are you grinding that on??? Is that a huge drum sander? If so, I don;t envy you trying to keep it flat! Really nice!

BTW PUT ON SAFETY GLASSES.

Good for you !!!! And a huge project to take on. Your grinding machine had to be difficult to use. Did you think about doing some hand sanding on the blade with say a piece of micarta or a file over some 120 grit sand paper? You might be surprised how you might bring it up a lot. Frank

Thanks all. The grinding think is drum mounted on the drillpress. I did some hand sanding after I finished on the machine, but its just too big. The wheel has tendency to dig in if you are not carefull, unlike the belt sander with platten. If I had a sen I could make better surfaces than this by hand, but its not so bad in the end
S1 is still sold around here, but kind of pricey. I bought quite big chunk of 5mm thickness.

Jaro

Last edited:
Back