Off Topic that one gun

I know most of us have one knife you would grab it you had to go to the woods for a month unsupported (BK-10) what gun would you grab ?
This isn't a good picture but this my gun
NEF 12 ga. 24 inch fixed full choke full camo
With good shot shells it will reach out switch to cheap shot shells pure lead shot and cheap wads it patterns light full/heavy modified shoots buckshot as good as anything I have . It will keep cheap Winchester slugs in a 6 inch circle as long as you can stand to launch them . This gun isn't the gun you shoot a few rounds of trap but is a joy to tote and if I do my part it makes meat

IMG_20211127_213350__01.jpg

I wrote one reply and by the time I got to the end, I changed my mind...
This is why “one gun” situational questions are tough to answer.
As with most things, it depends…
As Ive seen several times and conclude myself, there are five tools needed for various jobs:
Large rifle
Small rifle
Large handgun
Small handgun
Shotgun

Hence, my final answer as of 14:31 11-28-21 is a Remington 870 12 gauge with a 20” rifle sighted, smooth bore barrel and a wide selection of shells. I’d take shot in sizes #6, 4, 2, (steel for waterfowl), #4 Buckshot and slugs.

Hence, Id be able to shoot pretty much anything I’d run across and be able to defend myself.

This is my one gun if I had to choose only one. 3 barrels 18inch rifle, 21inch Vent rib smooth with chokes, 26 inch vent rib smooth with chokes. Straight stock preferred but I also have the factory pistol grip. 3rd, 5rd, 7rd factory magazines. Hogs, Deer, Grouse, Pheasants, Woodcock, Rabbits, Squirrels have filled my pot with this one gun. It's been from the swamps of Florida to the frozen Adirondacks and has never failed me. Heckler & Koch Benelli M1 Super 90

M1S90 with Briley Mlok

Well thought out answers but you are missing half my point not only is it about versatility but also about a gun that just feels right in in your hands a gun that you trust . I have numerous shotguns, rifles , handguns and air rifles . Other than a mini revolver and and a CO2 air rifle I could make due with any of them . I am minute of squirrel with my 380 @ 50 feet . I have a custom 870 that is absolutely wicked. The little camo twelve gauge just has something special about it to me
By the way I am a lefty when hunting I wear one of the elastic shell holders made to go on the butt stock one my left wrist it has starting closest to my hand 1 high brass 1-1/4 oz #4-6 shot then 2 rounds of buckshot and 2 slugs with a couple more rounds of high brass shot in my left pocket . I will have have around 10 rounds of my small game loads 7/8 oz of #6.5 nickel plated shot @ around 1200 fps (20 gauge loaded in a 12 ga. Hull) one in the gun one between the fingers of my right hand and the rest in my front right pocket

The problem with multiple barrels is if you out you usually have the wrong barrel on when the opportunity arises

Personally I would take my 6.5 grendel, I've killed everything from prairie dogs to deer with it and confident it will handle everything I come across in my local area.View attachment 1691355
I was never a big fan of the AR platform, but I bought a little Delton rifle back a couple years ago. They were so cheap it would be dumb not to .topped it with a Sigg Sauer Romeo 5 . That rifle is growing on me

Well thought out answers but you are missing half my point not only is it about versatility but also about a gun that just feels right in in your hands a gun that you trust . I have numerous shotguns, rifles , handguns and air rifles . Other than a mini revolver and and a CO2 air rifle I could make due with any of them . I am minute of squirrel with my 380 @ 50 feet . I have a custom 870 that is absolutely wicked. The little camo twelve gauge just has something special about it to me
By the way I am a lefty when hunting I wear one of the elastic shell holders made to go on the butt stock one my left wrist it has starting closest to my hand 1 high brass 1-1/4 oz #4-6 shot then 2 rounds of buckshot and 2 slugs with a couple more rounds of high brass shot in my left pocket . I will have have around 10 rounds of my small game loads 7/8 oz of #6.5 nickel plated shot @ around 1200 fps (20 gauge loaded in a 12 ga. Hull) one in the gun one between the fingers of my right hand and the rest in my front right pocket

The problem with multiple barrels is if you out you usually have the wrong barrel on when the opportunity arises
Know your game, Know your terrain, Know your weapons and your limitations. I’m not in the habit of Pheasant hunting with my rifled barrel or hog hunting in the Big Gum swamp with my 26 inch. That’s what the 21 is for. Now if it’s SHTF scenario M1S90 21 inch barrel with the modified choke installed extended magazine with ghost load gives me 9 ready to rock and roll. Dump pouches packed with 00,foster slugs,#7.5s and tootsie rolls. I can’t resist those Lil chocolate bastards

Last edited:
sYVOotu.jpeg

Ruger American in 22lr and several pounds of rounds.

I been using a Ruger Mini 6.8 and an AR-15 ARP 6.8 for over 10 years for deer murdering and other critter killing details. "Evil" step mother made dad adopt 13 kids back then, so I had to use the two for fast deer harvest filling out the treaty tags to help keep them healthy with real wild venison. It did force me to get out to appreciate the wilderhood again, but now that most are grown up and left I still get to use my super deer killer rigs for myself (VENISON FOR MYSELF!) This year was sucky though because of a covid break through was my birth day present this year. For some reason I never qualified for the boosters... My orgininal vaccinations probably saved my life I'll have to give those shots the credit for me still being alive.

I had a camo NEF 10 gauge with a 28 inch barrel back in the day. I have no use for it but sometimes wish I still had it.

If I had to survive in the woods around here for a month I would bring my 10/22. I have owned it since I was about 8 years old which is 36 years. As a kid I would put 500 round bricks through it regularly. I am pretty comfortable shooting it. If I was hungry enough a head shot on a deer at 50 yards would be easy. Otherwise I could live on small game for quite a while. With all the oaks around here our grey squirrels are the size of small cats.

I had a camo NEF 10 gauge with a 28 inch barrel back in the day. I have no use for it but sometimes wish I still had it.

If I had to survive in the woods around here for a month I would bring my 10/22. I have owned it since I was about 8 years old which is 36 years. As a kid I would put 500 round bricks through it regularly. I am pretty comfortable shooting it. If I was hungry enough a head shot on a deer at 50 yards would be easy. Otherwise I could live on small game for quite a while. With all the oaks around here our grey squirrels are the size of small cats.
Fond Memories with my 10/22 What a ubiquitous rifle. Remember before they had the BX25 magazines. The only high cap magazines you could buy were ramlines or butler creek. They always failed to feed and split at the seams lol

Ruger 10/22 or the MKII would be my choice. Light and very accurate :thumbsup::thumbsup: No Grizzlies in my neck of the woods:oops:
Oh yes the MKll what a great pistol. I’d always use a 45acp case to compress the spring to load the magazine. And I mastered the art of bolt removal and more importantly bolt install. That lever in the grip frame was a PITA.

Oh yes the MKll what a great pistol. I’d always use a 45acp case to compress the spring to load the magazine. And I mastered the art of bolt removal and more importantly bolt install. That lever in the grip frame was a PITA.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
It dose take a little finesse. After several good cleanings you get the hang of it 🤓 The bright side you just need a paper clip or some thin wire.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
I was never a big fan of the AR platform, but I bought a little Delton rifle back a couple years ago. They were so cheap it would be dumb not to .topped it with a Sigg Sauer Romeo 5 . That rifle is growing on me
The Armalite rifle was literally drilled into us in the space of 3 months, to the point of its use being 2nd nature. I still want to get a hold of an A1 clone. :cool:

So many more that I want to try yet though. I'll reserve my decision of 'just one' for now.

The Armalite rifle was literally drilled into us in the space of 3 months, to the point of its use being 2nd nature. I still want to get a hold of an A1 clone. :cool:

So many more that I want to try yet though. I'll reserve my decision of 'just one' for now.
I was a Tanker. We didn’t have to qualify with the M16. We just did a familiarization course and sent some rounds down range. We had to qualify with the 1911a1 and the M3a1 grease gun. By the time OSUT was over (5 months) the M3 requirement was removed. And the M16a2 with 203 grenade launcher was added. (Eyes Roll) not a whole lot of room in a tank. But I did get to qualify with both. In the XM1s and M1 series tanks they still had a storage compartment behind the drivers left shoulder marked M3a1. and later an ad hoc clamp in the turret marked M16a2. Sorry for the ramble I was on a roll lol

I worked in a town that M3 grease guns were made . I have seen a couple that acquired one piece at a time . I worked for a company that made the transmission/ transfer case for most of the Jeeps made during WWII

Actually, I just cleaned it this morning and used it as a backdrop for the EDC thread.

i-ZcLsZjw-X3.jpg

Don’t get me wrong, i love it and feel very comfortable with it. But part of the choice is due to where I live (CA):

- due to law change, years ago, I “standardized” on two calibers, 9mm and 308. No shotguns, for instance.
- no bullet button needed in the M1a
- i prefer rifles over hand guns. This one is portable and accurate enough

Last edited:
I was a Tanker. We didn’t have to qualify with the M16. We just did a familiarization course and sent some rounds down range. We had to qualify with the 1911a1 and the M3a1 grease gun. By the time OSUT was over (5 months) the M3 requirement was removed. And the M16a2 with 203 grenade launcher was added. (Eyes Roll) not a whole lot of room in a tank. But I did get to qualify with both. In the XM1s and M1 series tanks they still had a storage compartment behind the drivers left shoulder marked M3a1. and later an ad hoc clamp in the turret marked M16a2. Sorry for the ramble I was on a roll lol
Ramble all you want Brother Tanker !:):thumbsup::thumbsup: Thank You Much for your BRAVE SERVICE,very much appreciated :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back