That stupid dumb KA-BAR shorty finally made me do it...

That stupid dumb KA-BAR shorty finally made me do it...

I broke down and ordered a KA-BAR USN Mk. 1.

I wanted some thing light yet kraton handled for most condtions to help with traction, the shorty is just to short handled to work with and the hilt a problem getting to choke up on. So I ordered the knife I should of gotten in the first place for its intended tasks.

I should of gotten a Turok but I got to many knives in that size for now.

The KA-BAR shorty might to to my niece it seems to of been literally shorted on height, still for the short types of people it still can be useful with the hilt on is one reason I didn't the top part of the hilt off yet.

I'd recommend the MK1 to anyone looking for a smaller Kabar. It's a great knife! I've never handled a shorty, but would think you'll be happy with the MK1

I'd give a mini first impression on it but it seems UPS is delivering invisible packages today...unless its in another dimensional phase shift...just checked, nope to that.

People who ask me of the shorty if its great! I just let them finger it and I tell them of the USN Mk.1 as they get super disappointed, after they get it they tell me I should get one. They give the shorty to a younger family member who thinks its GREAT! If they did order one that is.

Well I guess I never took in to consideration the quantum vertical vortexes caused by the earth's ionosphere's inverted positron neutral flux causing the earth's magnetic field to rebound and reciprocate down to the sub mantel level near the iron nickle core making every thing shift during the dimensional phase shift where it went to pile of the neighbor's UPS packages at a higher altitude from me. Which I found out and got the package this morning. Really I should of thought of that earlier so simple! Things happen when you don't get your coffee.

Well now on to the box, the box is made of Cardboard, by the feel of it, it seems to be American Pulp made cardboard with the usual tape with string built in it all about the box which is a usual Amazon shipping box. Oops I forgot to mention the usual cute sort of smile on it that they use for a Logo on their Logistic sending unit, the cardboard box. Well the shipping label was a bit torn as the neighbor thought it was their order and opened it but realized her mistake and set it aside to bring it back this morning, which I beat her to it when I checked with her this morning. The way it was cut was...

Now on to the Ka-Bar box itself, oops I forgot to mention the air bubble wrap!

OK ok...the knife...its a good knife.

The Hilt is a great size and form and is wider and bigger than the shorty filling the hand much more. It has that great little bit of hilt on the top and larger hilt on the bottom to keep hand from slipping up on blade is the perfect size. People with really large hands might find the hilt small, but it has no restrictiveness such as the hilt on the shorty. The blade has more "height" to it and is a FFG (see how I used a techno-tactical term there!) which fits this knife, I'd like to get a hold of a saber grind version but the FFG fits this "small" middling sized blade fine the way it is.

Yep if you want a fully functional smaller Ka-Bar and are on the normal adult sized person the USN Mk.1 is probably better for you if you intend to use it and not use it for Lookta-cool purposes. Like under glass, get it to fill out a collection or just get it to have it because it does look like a perfect scaled down version of the full sized one. The shorty is good for kids and that's why I kept the hilt intact on mine for "The Next Generation" to get use to and learn to use knifey skills, or just to learn how to safely handle one at minimum.

Now I may need to get another one also if not a BK16....

You can't go wrong with a Sweet 16 too. They're both great knives! The handle on the MK1 might be a bit short for some, but some will find the handle a bit thin on the BK16. I'm thinking about adding some liners to my 16 to see how it handles.

loved everything about my Mk1 excep the handle length.
it's not quite "3 1/2 fingers" long and the pommel hit just wrong.
At some point in the future I may pick up a second one, make an "extended buttcap", and replace the issue one, because I loved the feel of the leather and the blade shape.
OR
I may just keep using my BK16 (more likely)

My bare hand fits the Mk.1, and the krayton handle version I got is a vast improvement over the shorty. Now if I had to wear med to large gloves with the Mk.1, then it would be another story. I got the Krayton for all weather use with bare hand or light glove, the fit for me is right and a bit addicting.

Edicus: I don't edit! I enhance!

Last edited:
loved everything about my Mk1 excep the handle length.
it's not quite "3 1/2 fingers" long and the pommel hit just wrong.
At some point in the future I may pick up a second one, make an "extended buttcap", and replace the issue one, because I loved the feel of the leather and the blade shape.
OR
I may just keep using my BK16 (more likely)
You called it vik. If that pommel was back just a 1/2 inch more. Ahhh Perfection

Yeah that would make it a bit more better, the blade is good enough even if a FFG, for longer all day term use. Its current size makes it a good belt rider or toss in the pack for spare/backup/sneaktothenieceornephewonthetripwho'smotherforbidsthemanytypeofsharptoolswhatsever, its krayton "grippy" handle and its decent blade and to replace that disappointing shorty is why I got it. My shorty will be the loaner/beater learning knife with its hilt/guard/keepfromfingersslippinguponbladecrossthingy also for its non slippery handle as well, for the vertically challenged ones who will need it on trips. A more traditional hunting knife some would say is better, but the kids think a Ka-bar that fits their hand is cool too, hence I didn't cut down the top hilt as I was thunking ahead there for its purpose once a replacement was gotten.

Good length for me. It's had some time on the farm here. It arrived the week before I went to Italy in Sep-Oct, but when I returned I got back to work with it for a week or so.
tY6QjiJ.jpg

Zieg

Well got rid of the dang Shorty! The Nephew LOVES IT! :D Fits his hand pretty well and if he's going to be short stature like his dad it might last a life time.

The Mk.1 turned out to be the perfect "Short" knife for some smaller thingies to be done with.

Edicus:
OK had to add again...he really really likes it! I should of asked his dad first before I gave it to him, but then realized I'm the uncle and its not my job to make the nephew sad! Its his dad's! :D Well he's responsible enough and growing up around his dad's contracting business, he knows how to be around tools and how to handle them and the sharp ones. For him its good steel, the right size, good krayton handle and a hilt to keep from slipping up on the blade if a mistake is made. And it makes a good woods tool for him now and in the future.

But my Mk.1 is MINE and I'm keeping it! Hopefully one of my nieces don't show a need for it...

Last edited:
Back