The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Doing a little experimenting on this Kbar tdi. Recently tried to add a kydex ring to the handle. WIP.
V2vRGmt.jpg

Not too involved but this certainly fits the category of "Can't leave anything alone". I fooled around and put a brushed finish on the flats (and top) of the pommel of my 119 today. The shiny aluminum was giving me a bit too much of a cheap chrome vibe. I left the rest of the pommel polished however, partially because doing the whole thing is beyond my current skill set, but also because I thought the contrast was cool. Not perfect, but looks good in person, an aesthetic improvement IMO, and most importantly I made it my own.

MACVsK0.jpg

Not too involved but this certainly fits the category of "Can't leave anything alone". I fooled around and put a brushed finish on the flats (and top) of the pommel of my 119 today. The shiny aluminum was giving me a bit too much of a cheap chrome vibe. I left the rest of the pommel polished however, partially because doing the whole thing is beyond my current skill set, but also because I thought the contrast was cool. Not perfect, but looks good in person, an aesthetic improvement IMO, and most importantly I made it my own.

MACVsK0.jpg

Excellent!! A little contrast can be beautiful. :) I like it!

Added a much needed sharpening choil to the doctor... there was a slight recurve that was bothering big time... With a choil, psychologically speaking, i don’t see the recurve anymore and it’ll be much more easier to sharpening.
3-C22-CFEF-A0-BA-4474-AE47-2-BC7-DCE50250.jpg

34-C2-FE43-8-F01-4-E31-9-EDD-09-A305300-CF2.jpg

20-D1852-E-E9-EB-4-D94-A0-AC-F4-F03-F641-C74.jpg

SAK Alox hunter
No nick or anything, but a ton of blade showing to open.
Still, I rather have one hand so I added the screw on thumb stud. Unfortunately the sweet spot is right on the logo.
We'll see how that works out.
BTW, I really like this knife! review in the review section when I get back from vaporizing some clays.

IMG_0294.jpg

re-posted from previous page

Got this large 551 Griptilian in in the New Year's Eve Day mail but it looked too blah so,

qBQRAgd.jpg

I used some fine grit sandpaper to take most of the black coating off the blade. I left the blade in place and will take the knife apart later to do a more thorough job. Haven't decided yet but I may swap out the Sand colored scales for different ones. Actually, it doesn't look too bad as is as I kinda like the distressed look of the blade - patina look on a stainless blade.:rolleyes:

tw3lFzC.jpg

Edit: Yesterday

Well, I still wasn't happy with it so I pulled off the mark-side handle and put a black handle in it's place.

NGCtHeB.jpg

rWjaePW.jpg

Can't say I'm real happy with it but for now, it's got a different look to it. Maybe a little bling in the future?

Last edited:
can't find or afford a mini southard, so I made my own. deleted the ti liner,and used linen micarta with red G-10 for scales and backspacer. needed to make a backspacer because I cut too much off and the standoffs didn't fit right
have a set of skiff bearings on the way to replace the junk OEM bearings. can't wait to try them out.IMG_20210213_223451_605.jpg

Uh Oh :eek: I dove into my Benchmade Spare Parts Box and came up with these handles for a 551 - 1 Large Griptilian.

cHWABzY.jpg

May be just the thing to make my newly converted Black and Tan Griptilian pictured above into a fancier Griptilian. Not too sure though as I don't know how well the blue accent liners would hold up to hard use - digging into dirt, opening feed bags, and other stupid things I do to/with my knives.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back