The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So folks...how many of you all have modded production knives? Is it the new thing? Show them off here!!
Couple of mine...
5FAA1A26-6ADE-4ADB-B2F6-6AEBB9082410.jpeg
Sebenza mods by Josh @REK Knives
2BA5D80C-86F5-4558-A08A-6860964AC19A.jpeg
Kizer Gemini mod by me.

Lets get this thread rockin!
Keep ‘em sharp!

fptXoll.jpg

lINruLa.jpg

r1nSocR.jpg

Oos7IQV.jpg

All mods done by me.

In my opinion, it's neither. People have been modifying their own stuff since the beginning. I don't believe it's a fad either. Some people are simply tinkerers. And it's definitely one of those things that spans multiple markets. Car mods, gun mods, computer mods... I could go on and on.

I dont think it's a new fad, it's been around for as long as I can remember however I'm not a fan of it. Not to mention if you try to resell the blade you'll have a much harder time.

If anything, I'd say we're seeing the tail end of when this actually was a huge fad a few years ago. Several of the original Youtube reviewers initially modified production models and some turned those skills into full-time knife-making (ie Tuffthumbz).
For me, I'd rather save the $ for a nicer knife or a custom. However, some of the stuff REK is doing is amazing and I'd love to see what he can do with some of my knives!

I'm a big fan of modded production knives. The below Boker Mini Kwaiken and ZT 0450 had regrinds by Josh of Razor Edge Knives and aged micarta scales made by the infamous Steve Ketchen:

NWALM4C.jpg

odBu5sK.jpg

To me, even when the costs of the mods exceed the price of the knife itself, it's justifiable when you really, really like that particular knife and there simply isn't something else in "stock" form that could replace it for you. This is especially true with mods that dramatically increase the actual usefulness of the knife as a tool, like Josh's regrinds.

A few more while we're at it:

Small Sebenza with aged paper micarta scale by Ketchen:

UIPHhCM.jpg

Boker Zero with regrind and acid wash by REK:

0YrtCV3.jpg

Spyderco Roadie with regrind by Josh (which turned it into the closest thing I have to a scalpel):

F5Yb7Ao.jpg

Sometimes the modding can get a little freaky. This particular one was a Chinese clone of a RAD Knives Field Cleaver that was completely reshaped (blade chopped down and handle shortened and reshaped), with a micarta scale, then re-tapped for a deep carry clip:

p5Hx9aq.jpg

brancron brancron Dude, that Roadie looks absolutely wicked!

Thanks! Josh did an amazing job on it. It's so thinly ground that it's hard to even get a focused photo of it, especially near the tip. It's like the camera can't tell it's a three dimensional object! If I were ever called to do surgery on the fly (woe to my imagined patient), I would use the Roadie. Oh, and these two puppies as well :cool::

ptN1Thu.jpg

(Spyderco Whale Rescue blade in H1 with handle by Knockwood Blades, and a Case Doctor's Knife in jigged bone.)

I don't know why exactly...but that looks awesome. Was it difficult? Can you post some closed pictures?
Thanks. It wasn't too bad, just required a carbide masonry bit, cutting fluid, and some time with a drill press. It feels like it was always meant to have an opening hole, and I love that both are snappy options for opening the knife.

Closed
Gxl8O59.jpg

iVoe7Cb.jpg

I might have to try that. I wonder if HSS Cobalt Bosch Metal Drill Bits work. Or is there a reason stone/masonry ones work better?

I might have to try that. I wonder if HSS Cobalt Bosch Metal Drill Bits work. Or is there a reason stone/masonry ones work better?
Those won't make a dent. You basically need carbide, which is what a masonry bit is tipped with.

I'm triggered by at least half the knife mods out and really triggered by badly done and ugly mods. And angered by knife mods that are just bad or ugly going for huge amounts of money after they are modded.

Back