The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

I'm liking that work, looks fantastic!

Thanks! It's been a lot more work than I was anticipating...especially since each mistake just leads to more "creativity" :D

But I've really enjoyed doing it... it's cool having something truly unique... especially when you're the person that did the work.

Also, knowing that I could easily send it to one of the pros here if I got in over my head enabled me to try new things with a bit less fear. ;)

I have an inexplicable adoration for the CRKT Pilar. Great design on Vox, :poop: manufacturing on CRKT. Since getting my first basic one, I've been in search of a Pilar I can be happy with.

Here's my favorite one so far. I looked nearly a year for the BHQ S35VN version.

The steel is supposedly better than their 8cr13mov, although it's run pretty soft. Still keeping an eye out for those pretty rare BHQ small D2 version, which is surely the best one.

20200709_174845~2_resize_69.jpg 20200709_173903~2_resize_36.jpg

Ferric chloride wash on both the blade and lock side, scratched up with a Sharpmaker rod. Aftermarket hardware (deep carry clip on the way. I read it as 7-9 days, but it's actually 7-9 weeks to ship), 3D printed backspacer. One thing you'll find if you get into a Pilar or two is that the factory backspacer is never done right. It'll make your life easier to just replace it with plastic and file it to fit. No two backspacers with interchange well, unfortunately.

20200709_173943_resize_75.jpg

And here's my Pilarge! CRKT's D2 is actually decent, definitely the best steel to get a Pilar in. Unfortunately it's only available in the Large version :( the Large gets a useless flipper tab, which is certainly an afterthought and doesn't work well. I'd like to grind it off at some point. Same drill, though: backspacer, hardware, deep clip.

I had to bend the lockbar so the Pilarge would lock up right. It's way off center now, but at least the lock rock is gone (the things I put up with just to have a Pilar, huh?)

Swapped out the teflon for phosphor bronze in both.

Last edited:
So I ordered 2 deep carry clips from MXG over a week ago, and though I got the purchase confirmation email, I've yet to get a shipping one. Anyone know if they are having delays?

Also, I want to get a different clip for my SG Spider Monkey. It appears to be the same as the Benchmade style. Is this correct?

Delays for me are crazy!
Back in May 26, I ordered some knives from Blade HQ and I still haven't received them !
I'm in Canada so I expected 2 or 3 weeks. So, a few days ago I ordered a knife but had it delivered to a buddy in Utah, then he delivered it to me. Took 3 days!
Good luck,man !

So I ordered 2 deep carry clips from MXG over a week ago, and though I got the purchase confirmation email, I've yet to get a shipping one. Anyone know if they are having delays?

Also, I want to get a different clip for my SG Spider Monkey. It appears to be the same as the Benchmade style. Is this correct?
I got an MXG clip recently and experienced the same thing. Eventually it came in, though.

The Spider Monkey looks to have the same pattern as a Benchmade, but I don't have one so I can't be sure. A Lynch NW Benchmade clip will certainly work, though, as it accommodates a wide variety of "top hole" spacings.

I have an inexplicable adoration for the CRKT Pilar. Great design on Vox, :poop: manufacturing on CRKT. Since getting my first basic one, I've been in search of a Pilar I can be happy with.

Here's my favorite one so far. I looked nearly a year for the BHQ S35VN version.

The steel is supposedly better than their 8cr13mov, although it's run pretty soft. Still keeping an eye out for those pretty rare BHQ small D2 version, which is surely the best one.

View attachment 1375018 View attachment 1375017

Ferric chloride wash on both the blade and lock side, scratched up with a Sharpmaker rod. Aftermarket hardware (deep carry clip on the way. I read it as 7-9 days, but it's actually 7-9 weeks to ship), 3D printed backspacer. One thing you'll find if you get into a Pilar or two is that the factory backspacer is never done right. It'll make your life easier to just replace it with plastic and file it to fit. No two backspacers with interchange well, unfortunately.

View attachment 1375019

And here's my Pilarge! CRKT's D2 is actually decent, definitely the best steel to get a Pilar in. Unfortunately it's only available in the Large version :( the Large gets a useless flipper tab, which is certainly an afterthought and doesn't work well. I'd like to grind it off at some point. Same drill, though: backspacer, hardware, deep clip.

I had to bend the lockbar so the Pilarge would lock up right. It's way off center now, but at least the lock rock is gone (the things I put up with just to have a Pilar, huh?)

Swapped out the teflon for phosphor bronze in both.
Nice ! Love that red one! Did you have to sand down the sides of the backspacer after printing it? In my experience they aren't that accurate tolerance wise.

Nice ! Love that red one! Did you have to sand down the sides of the backspacer after printing it? In my experience they aren't that accurate tolerance wise.
I had to sand the flat sides of the blue one, but not the red one. The red one sat proud, so I used a needle file to move the inside surface of the holes to make it fit. The stock backspacer sat proud too, though.

The blue one didn't even go back together with the stock or the printed backspacer. I'm pretty sure they rubber clamped it together at CRKT, because it would take a lot of force to get everything to line up. Which explains the piss poor action it had from factory.

I had to file the inner holes a lot to get it to fit together and sit essentially flush (it's a jimped backspacer though, so the peaks are proud).

They both have seen drastic improvements with the hand tinkering and fitting.

I darkened the scales today with a few Oxi Clean/boiling water soaks and really like the color...depending on the lighting, they're mostly gun metal gray with shades of blue/purple.

Now I just need to remove the "Rockstar" logo from the pocket clip and darken it to match the scales.

And here are a few updated pics after reassembly...

pNV62z4.jpg

E9DewBo.jpg

7BzFeHF.jpg

qPhGp0C.jpg

AsSHwNO.jpg

EdFDFx7.jpg

This pic shows the shades of blue/purple...

Q6FBeEb.jpg

Last edited:
I darkened the scales today with a few Oxi Clean/boiling water soaks and really like the color...depending on the lighting, they're mostly gun metal gray with shades of blue/purple.

Now I just need to remove the "Rockstar" logo from the pocket clip and darken it to match the scales.

And here are a few updated pics after reassembly...

pNV62z4.jpg

E9DewBo.jpg

7BzFeHF.jpg

qPhGp0C.jpg

AsSHwNO.jpg

EdFDFx7.jpg

This pic shows the shades of blue/purple...

Q6FBeEb.jpg

Very cool! Bet that was fun! :D

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback and kind words!

Well, I finished sanding/removing the logo from the pocket clip and I think it's done...for now. :D

I was planning to darken the pocket clip to match the scales but I'm kinda liking the satin look... what do you guys think?

YtLN4np.jpg

50RX2nF.jpg

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback and kind words!

Well, I finished sanding/removing the logo from the pocket clip and I think it's done...for now. :D

I was planning to darken the pocket clip to match the scales but I'm kinda liking the satin look... what do you guys think?

YtLN4np.jpg

50RX2nF.jpg
Leave it, matches the blade perfect!!

Did you do the scallops in the grind too?

what do you guys think?
Tip down only? Cringe! :D jk lol.

I'd darken the clip if you plan on darkening those "forging marks", but that's just me. Know that the clip most likely won't get as dark as the blade will. You'll probably be able to match the handles at best. Very low carbon, stainless steels like clips use don't etch as well as blade steel.

Leave it, matches the blade perfect!!

Did you do the scallops in the grind too?

Thanks Josh!

No, the scallops were part of the original design...this is the production Jim Burke Rockstar (which I really liked as well) that I started with...

uZVCUkx.jpg

X4Yeerh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Josh!

No, the scallops were part of the original design...this is the production Jim Burke Rockstar (which I really liked as well) that I started with...

uZVCUkx.jpg

X4Yeerh.jpg
Gotcha, well it looks great everything you did!

Back