The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. The Bridgeport isn’t a CNC, it’s a manual mill. I’ve been running them since 1990, but I don’t have access to a NC machine.

Going to give this a try, worst case I’m out $3 worth of aluminum bar.
I've also used super glue with great success as mentioned by Fixall Fixall , I almost suggested that myself since you're working with pretty flat stuff. The hot glue/thermolock has the advantage on irregular objects like pocketclips.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. The Bridgeport isn’t a CNC, it’s a manual mill. I’ve been running them since 1990, but I don’t have access to a NC machine.

Going to give this a try, worst case I’m out $3 worth of aluminum bar.

Word.

As long as you can get the glue viscous enough so it lays level, and the mill doesn't heat up the material too much to release the glue, I'm sure it'll work like a charm. :)

If not, the superglue method just involves painters tape and superglue. Pretty simple and cheap.

Word.

As long as you can get the glue viscous enough so it lays level, and the mill doesn't heat up the material too much to release the glue, I'm sure it'll work like a charm. :)

If not, the superglue method just involves painters tape and superglue. Pretty simple and cheap.
Hmm, now I’m curious and might have to run a side-by-side test to see which has the best shear strength...

You make a good point about getting the piece to lay flat for machining. The thinner set of the super glue would help there.

In all honesty, when I first posted the question I was hoping that there was some magical “fixturing cement” with incredible holding capacity and easy release and clean up.

20210527-KSRAke.jpg

Kershaw Rake converted to framelock

I'm confused...are you just dremeling out the scale and gluing it to the liner?
Kind of. I drilled the gap in the scale and squared with a file
Then cut the scale with a small hack saw and stuck it back on the Liner lock with epoxy

Sorry, not sorry🤣

This tungsten carbide reprofiled WAY easier than expected on my Atoma diamond plates🤯🤪😎

View attachment 1571560

View attachment 1571561

Nice! I've been curious about what kind of edge you can get with that those tungsten carbide blades. How's it deburr? I have a feeling I'd have issue getting a really fine edge with how brittle the material is. I have issues with the apex crumbling on me sometimes with really hard steel.

Last edited:
Nice! I've been curious about what kind of edge you can get with that those tungsten carbide blades. How's it deburr? I have a feeling I'd have issue getting a really fine edge with how brittle the material is. I have issue with the apex crumbling on me sometimes with really hard steel.
It definitely takes a light touch on the finishing strokes...similar to ZDP-189 to my feel.
Looks good!! I'm amazed by the scratches though! Figured it would be hard enough to shrug off any marking up of the blade!! Unless they're not scratches!! Please do tell..
You mean on flats? That's just their low grade finish on this model🤷‍♂️

It definitely takes a light touch on the finishing strokes...similar to ZDP-189 to my feel.

Well that's kinda chincy!! Low grade is definitely right! You'd think for what they charge they could do a bit nicer, cleaner look!! I'm assuming you're going to do something with that in the future as well!!!!!

Lol, they take a diamond grinder to the blades for that finish according to their website. It’s on purpose. I kind of like it. 🤷‍♂️

Ha! That’s the exact steel I was thinking about when I was talking about the crumbling edges. I had a Spyderco in ZDP-189 a couple of years ago that I could get sharp, but not really sharp. It irritated me so I sold it, lol.

I’ve had a bunch of practice since then... Maybe I’ll give one of those Sandrin’s a go one of these days.

Ha! That’s the exact steel I was thinking about when I was talking about the crumbling edges. I had a Spyderco in ZDP-189 a couple of years ago that I could get sharp, but not really sharp. It irritated me so I sold it, lol.

I’ve had a bunch of practice since then... Maybe I’ll give one of those Sandrin’s a go one of these days.
What's weird is, on the 140 grit plate it almost felt soft...I swear it cut easier than Queen D2 but that could just be due to the small area I was working.

Ol’ Trusty the 710’s dress up is complete. Aramis CF scales purchased here on the forum, replaced the nylon backspacer with Ti standoffs from Knifekits, and the Ti pivot arrived today from xxxadrenalinxxx in Australia. Lookin pretty snazzy for an old guy. 49BFDB47-0009-4AF8-ACC5-7CEF36CA8117.jpegAC9C3196-2939-4B29-83FC-541BB95DC626.jpeg36DBF70C-F6A4-4C83-AB0A-15137DEECC7A.jpeg

Back