1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The $100 Traditional Knife Collection—2019 Edition

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by WhittlinAway, Aug 30, 2019.

1. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Almost three years ago I posted The $100 Traditional Knife Collection thread. I had a lot of fun with it and I think other folks did, too. Since then we've added many new members, new knives have come into production, and, saddly, at least one knife manufacturer that was represented there has closed its doors. I think it's time for another round!

Here is the motivation from the original thread:

A couple of weeks ago I started pondering what a $100 traditional knife starter set might look like. Along the way, I came to the conclusion that it need not be a starter set. I believe with $100 you can build a complete collection that offers a rich and satisfying experience. In fact, I believe that many such collections are possible.

I really enjoyed thinking through what my $100 collection would be. It made me think hard about my tastes and what I value in a knife. I'll share my collection [in the next post] and invite you to do the same.

The idea is that anyone with $100 to spare should be able to recreate your collection. In that spirit:

- The entire collection must cost 100 USD (or equivalent) or less. No budget stretching. No exceptions.
    - Please use realistic retail prices when calculating the cost of your collection. Ignore shipping, sales tax, and similar fees.
    - Limit your choices to knives that are readily available for purchase in new condition from a retailer. No relying on finding one NOS on an auction site or purchasing from someone's private collection.
    - Any traditional knife is welcome: slipjoints, friction folders, fixed blades, whatever you like that fits in here. You do not need to currently own the knives you select.
    - Feel free to itemize the prices of the knives in your collection, but please keep in mind the forum rules regarding mentioning specific dealers. To keep things simple, I ask that your posts in this thread focus on the collections themselves and that any discussion of dealers or other purchasing details be kept to PM or other messaging outside of this thread.

I thoroughly enjoyed putting together my updated collection. I hope those who participate do, too, and I look forward to seeing y'all's collections!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    gaj999 and JohnDF like this.
  2. WhittlinAway

Feb 11, 2016
    Here is my $100 collection, updated for 2019.

The first two are the workhorse patterns that tackle the vast majority of the non-whittling, non-food-prep tasks I have for a knife. In a pinch, though, both can be pressed into service for either of those duties.

A. Wright & Son Rosewood Lambsfoot (£28 ≈ $34)

[​IMG]

This is the least expensive example of A. Wright's interpretation of this classic hard-working Sheffield pattern. Everyone should own one.

NOTE: This is a special version of the Rosewood with a polished blade, but the stock ones are also worthy of your attention. The next time I gift a lambsfoot, it will be one of them.

Marttiini Lynx Lumberjack Carbon (€30 ≈ $33)

[​IMG]

I have @Will Power and his post in the original thread to thank for introducing me to this one. An inexpensive example of a puukko, this is a workhorse in my backyard and garage.

NOTE: I've slightly reshaped the handle to better fit my hand and refinished it. The factory model has a rougher finish which is supposed to improve grip.

The other two are for whittling and other miscellaneous tasks. I don't have pictures of these handy, but I'll edit them in later.

Rough Rider RR106 (~ $14)
    A whittler pattern with clip main and small clip and pen secondaries. A small clip is my favorite blade for whittling and I'm not aware of any other example that is readily available. I'll probably eventually convert the pen on my example to a coping blade.

Victorinox Swiss Army Recruit ($18)
    With a spear blade, a pen blade, a cap lifter and a can opener, this classic packs a lot of punch into a small package. For whittling, I'd remove the key ring and perhaps convert the pen to a straight edge blade.

So, there you have it, my $100 collection ringing up at $99. With two work horses, two whittling knives, and a cap lifter and can opener, these four could keep me busy and satisfied for a long time.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    This sounds like fun.
    I'm going to have to put some thought into this...

Prester John and WhittlinAway like this.
  4. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    You do realize that now I'm going to have to go buy the knives that I don't actually own. :D

This was a fun experiment, and really made me think of what others should consider in their collections and not just me. I wanted this collection to be representative of our whole knife community. I tried to think outside my comfort zone and include knives from the different categories that I see here on the forum. Here we go...

There should be a heavy-duty folder that you could use on the farm or out in the garden. For the price, it had to be a Rosewood Lambsfoot by A. Wright. ~$45.00 (Mine)
    [​IMG]

There should be some kind of Scout knife for camping and outdoor adventures. I think the Vic Tinker would do very well for such activities. ~$25.00 (I need one now).
    [​IMG]

Office drones and old men will appreciate a watch pocket knife. What better knife for this than a Peanut? Because of price restrictions, I went with a Rough Ryder. ~$12.00 (I own a Case version)
    [​IMG]

Lastly, you would need a good little fixed blade for hunting and skinning duties. Also handy where you need something more durable than a folder. Sharpfinger! ~$18.00 (I need one of these now too)
    [​IMG]

I estimated a little high on most prices so there still may be a few dollars left over to pay the tax.

5. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    To get the most out of my $100 I would stock up on multi-bladed knives.

Fixed Blade - - - - - - - - Morakniv Companion MG, $15
    [​IMG]

Large Stockman - - - - - Rough Rider #521, $15
    [​IMG]

Medium Stockman - - - - Rough Rider #890, $10
    [​IMG]

Large Scout - - - - - - - - Victorinox Alox Pioneer, $35
    [​IMG]

Small Pocket Tool - - - - - Victorinox Alox Cadet, $25
    [​IMG]

6. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Well, here goes...

Buck 110-$45
    [​IMG]

Victorinox camper-$25.50

[​IMG]

Schrade 34OT-$15.50

[​IMG]

And last but not least, Victorinox Classic SD-$13.95
    For a grand total of $99.95, leaves me a nickel for the gum-ball machine:confused:
    [​IMG]

7. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    Got these prices off a major knife retailer’s website. Tried to combine variety with tradition and authenticity:
    -Buck 301 USA $45 or
    Case amber bone medium stockman CV $50
    -Opinel #8 carbone $15
    -Morakniv classic utility carbon $15
    -Victorinox Recruit $20
    (Sorry no pictures)

8. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    FIXED BLADE
    Morakniv Companion - all purpose knife ........................................................ $13
    EDC
    Victorinox Small Tinker - uber useful pocket cutlery ............................... ......... $21
    GENTLEMAN'S CARRY
    Victorinox Cadet - great in dress slacks and Alox should be in every collection ....... $28
    COLLECTOR KNIFE

Case mini-trapper - makes this a true collection and I had $100 budget ................ $38

Total .............................................................................................. $100 **

** All located today at two popular on-line retailers. Prices rounded up to nearest dollar.

9. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    This is easy. If I only had $100, these two for sure:
    [​IMG]
    The trapper cost me $48.99 (the sticker is on the box). That only leaves me $51.01 for the second knife. I could get two SAKs, such as a Tinker and a Spartan, but I dislike Cellidor and key chain attachments. I'd much rather have a jigged bone stockman. As I recall, the medium stockman pictured cost me just under $50 (no sticker on the box, so I don't remember exactly, but it was closer to $50 than $40). If I can get a bigger stockman (3 7/8") for $51.01 or less, I might go for that one.

10. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Well, this is interesting. I can see the selections will be rich in Opinels, Moras, SAKs, and Rough Riders. I really like the OP’s choice of the Marttiini Lynx Lumberjack. Mine was in my pocket or around my neck quite a bit for the first couple of years I owned it, a great knife that is easy to overlook.

Will Power likes this.
  11. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Pity. That knocks out vintage knives right out of the bat. For many the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction in finding that great deal is what draws them to the hobby.

Storm 8593 likes this.
  12. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    To make this interesting, you need to move the limit to $75 with a four knife minimum. Just kidding. Good thread.

13. WhittlinAway

Feb 11, 2016
    Thanks for kicking things off, John. That’s a nice selection of knives. :thumbsup:

I originally planned to use the Tinker in mine, but had to go with the Recruit to stay within budget.

Nice, Jeff. I like how you offered size options.

And thanks for opening my eyes to the Victorinox Alox Pioneer. I’m sure I’ve seen it countless times here, but it didn’t sink in that it has a punch at the end of the frame (as opposed to in the middle of the back like a lot of SAKs) until I saw it here. It just went on my someday list. :)

Excellent. And, we have our first Buck. :thumbsup:

Nice job! Also, first mention of Case and Opinel. :thumbsup:

Well done. I like that you made the distinction of a “collector knife”. I was using “collection” loosely to mean an accumulation of objects, but it’s cool that you were able to bring in something you consider to be for the collector.

Nice, Vince. I like the simplicity. :thumbsup:

Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  14. WhittlinAway

Feb 11, 2016
    I am enjoying seeing how folks allocate their budget. I like that some use half the budget on one knife and others try to spread it out more. We’ve already had quite a variety of approaches to the exercise.

I’m glad you appreciated the inclusion of the Lynx Lumberjack. I really like mine and it wasn’t even on my radar until the first time we did this exercise.

I also enjoy that hunt and have many vintage knives. But that’s a different thread. :D

The issue with including vintage knives here is that there are no standard prices.

You’re free to work with those additional constraints for your collection. ;) Glad you’re enjoying the thread.

Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  15. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    OK, I'll play. I like guidelines, so I include those along with my personal choice, along with the price range if other models are chosen.
    First, you've got to get some work done, so I'll continue the Mora trend. My favorite is a Frosts in 0.1" carbon steel. $10-20
    Next up is a Vnox SAK. This should be chosen to include whatever tools you need in the size you need. My pick is the Electrician. $20-70
    Now that the minimum set of users is complete, we can spend however much is left of our budget on Rough Riders. Choose whichever models appeal, for whatever reason. Until your money is gone.:) I like this Elephant Toe for $16 delivered.
    upload_2019-8-31_7-53-11.jpeg
    https://imgur.com/a/eeannvC

16. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Greg. Those were the first two knives I bought early last year when I decided I wanted something a little larger and nicer than the Victorinox Classic I had been carrying for years. I've got some very nice knives since then, but with the budget constraints, would be limited to just one of those. And one of them I couldn't afford. Anyway, the trapper is a must, leaving me about $50. Perfect amount to get another Case. The only other knife besides the stockman I would consider is a canoe, for the blade diversity, since two of the three blades on a stockman are the same as the two on a trapper, albeit smaller.

WhittlinAway and JohnDF like this.
  17. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    @315
    You could go with the 110 light, save 20 bucks and squeeze in a couple more Rough Riders :D:thumbsup:

315 and gaj999 like this.
  18. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I was doing some more thinking on this subject, and I really like Vince's minimalist aproach.
    If I went minimalist, just knives that would be needed for carry and use, day in and day out, I could get a couple of nice ones...

Case Medium Stockman, offers blade variety and ease of pocket carry, and is acceptable/useful in most every environment... ~$50.00
    [​IMG]

And a nice Fixed Blade knife for heavier tasks, hunting, etc. Might even ride in the pickup glove box for such emergencies... ~$50.00
    [​IMG]

I'd say a Knife Person could get by just fine with these two examples. :cool::thumbsup:

19. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Smoke Jumper

Storm 8593 likes this.
  20. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Is that the red one? I got mine at Walmart, but remember someone posting a red one. I liked the looks of the red,one in blaze orange be pretty cool too.