The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

"Say it isn't so, Crockett!"

View attachment 1118368

Hmmmm, ducks paddling and diving on the laneway :eek:

View attachment 1118366

Little house on the hill is lucky it's, well, on a hill :thumbsup:

View attachment 1118367

Happy gardening and mowing all ... :p
I have been mowing weekly.... what can I say? That flooding is significant. Have you ever seen that before on this property? Is the water so deep that you can't or won't drive through it to get to the highway? I like those pictures; very informative.

I saw on the news the flooding issue going on in your neck of the woods. I just didn't know how extensive it was or is. Is that water from a creek or larger water course?

Legion12: Things are definitely looking up in the garden department!

I have been mowing weekly.... what can I say? That flooding is significant. Have you ever seen that before on this property? Is the water so deep that you can't or won't drive through it to get to the highway? I like those pictures; very informative.

I saw on the news the flooding issue going on in your neck of the woods. I just didn't know how extensive it was or is. Is that water from a creek or larger water course?

Legion12: Things are definitely looking up in the garden department!

No, never seen this flooding on this property before and I have been familiar with it since 1979.

The river I'm on gathers water from a huge watershed, then it joins with another large branch in the town proper. From that union the river runs out to the lake.

All along my road here, laneways went under, many homes and certainly the road itself out to the highway was flooded in around 8 places in the direction I use to get to the highway and on to town. I drove it with no problem and felt that I could get my van out of the lane if necessary even during the worst of it - but I didn't make the run for a few days - no necessity.

Yesterday on the way home I saw a dock tied under a bridge I cross to get home. Water is still high but somehow I don't see this rope getting hooked without intervention and yet, I wonder who would have put a craft on this cold current in order to secure the dock where the owner might see it on their way home.

0106100238-01 DOCK TIED BRIDGE.jpg

The damage here alone is devastating to many homeowners. The big picture across the watershed - I can barely grasp.

Busby update ... she's in the wild!

First hummingbird arrived on May 6th just like last year. So sunny, so warm. The feeder was put out on the 5th

Today I had carried her enclosure outside as usual so she could enjoy the day while I worked the gardens. I've been setting red flowers out to ensure she might get some hummingbird company - and boy, did we land a live one! One heck of a display ... he was going so fast the sound was a whistle past my ears rather than a buzz. Then he wandered off.

DSCF5096 BUSBY AND FRIEND 650 MED.jpg

I saw her tracking an insect that she wanted but could not reach from inside ... and at that moment I decided to open the door for her. It was time.

So, not only free but already dazzling the boys :D

The little guy was elsewhere when Busby left the enclosure. She hovered calmly for a bit, looking around. Then one noisy jay flew overhead and she was gone. I like that her instincts are sharp.

DSCF5107 BUSBY FREE 650 MED.jpg

Hey, Busby, chows on anytime you drop by for a visit. Wishing you lots of yummy spiders. Miss you already :)

The garden continues to grow. Lots of small tomatoes on the plants. Seeing a few small peppers now. Thinned out my red beets the other day. I really hate to thin stuff out. I pretty much yanked as many plants as I left in the ground. But I know it's for the better if I want beets to form that are usable.

The peppers are looking a bit lanky. Don't know why exactly as they are not shaded.

Planted my Lantana yesterday (finally). They tend to be somewhat pricey in volume and this year I did a mix of 1 gallon and smaller potted sizes to reduce cost a bit. I squeezed them in around the pansies that are looking real good right now. Another month and the pansies will be showing signs of being pretty much over as things warm up.

Not seeing many hummingbirds. But I do see one or two off and on at my feeder or around the yard. The action should pick up when the young get big enough to fly around.

The hummers have made it all the way north to Canada. Wow. My sister in Nashville still hasn't seen one at her feeder.

Bought another extension ladder yesterday. I have a 28 footer that easily reaches the highest roof areas, but I just can't handle it... too heavy. I can get it "up" but taking it back down is a problem without loosing control of it. Hoping the 24 foot ladder is tall enough. It is certainly a lot lighter at about 33 pounds.

My wife absolutely does not want me getting up on the roof. I get a bit nervous up there when I am close to the edges and always concerned about slipping. Pondered this ladder business and decided for the ladder purchase over paying someone.... afterall, I can pretty much buy a new ladder with the money I would pay someone to clean out my gutters.

Last edited:
When I die, somebody will wonder why I have so many ladders. They will probably think I'm some sort of painter. I have a 16 ft (used a lot), 20 ft (use to use a lot), the new 24 ft, and a 28 foot extension ladders along with multiple step ladders and stools. The 4 foot aluminum step ladders are my favorites as they are light, support your weight well enough, and you can reach the ceiling in most rooms without dragging out an 8 foot (or taller) step ladder.

I do out of town jobs and have had to buy new step ladders after discovering I needed one to access something, hence I have multiple 8 footers and 6 footers.

When I die, somebody will wonder why I have so many ladders. They will probably think I'm some sort of painter. I have a 16 ft (used a lot), 20 ft (use to use a lot), the new 24 ft, and a 28 foot extension ladders along with multiple step ladders and stools. The 4 foot aluminum step ladders are my favorites as they are light, support your weight well enough, and you can reach the ceiling in most rooms without dragging out an 8 foot (or taller) step ladder.

I do out of town jobs and have had to buy new step ladders after discovering I needed one to access something, hence I have multiple 8 footers and 6 footers.
I'm still wondering. (I use a kitchen chair in the house.)

I'm still wondering. (I use a kitchen chair in the house.)
Funny. Maybe I collect ladders? Using a kitchen chair inside the house is somewhat dangerous (chairs break, or do not sit flat to the floor) and I prefer to error on the side of caution. I only do the chair approach as a last resort if I need something to stand on.

Funny. Maybe I collect ladders? Using a kitchen chair inside the house is somewhat dangerous (chairs break, or do not sit flat to the floor) and I prefer to error on the side of caution. I only do the chair approach as a last resort if I need something to stand on.
That is funny. I have the same feeling about ladders in the house (outside too).

Back