The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Temp overnight on Tuesday was just under 34F with frost warning. This weekend the forecast is calling for 84F daytime. The heat is not my ideal weather but the gardens should respond well.

Black current planted last spring is blossoming nicely

View attachment 1139889

Ruby Slipper coleus is one of the few live plants bought this year to brighten the 'porch' - still need portulaca. It looks like, on the 'porch', I will be going with the canopy and scarlet runner pole beans for shade again this year.

View attachment 1139893

Busby's bath is well attended under the maple tree :rolleyes: ... but not by hummingbirds.

View attachment 1139892

Perennials: 10 bee balm plugs, purple coneflower and Cheyenne Spirit Echinacea seeds are in as this rock garden is excavated to its past size or larger ... then it is just a matter of trimming to stop weed seeds from dropping in and then light maintenance. Lots of tall colour - with any luck!

View attachment 1139890

Progress two days ago. I am uncertain if the seeds will bloom first year, but I am already looking forward to the before and after of this neglected weed patch. I am turning over chunks of the Canadian Shield with every shovel full - starting a quarry it seems.

View attachment 1139891
My purple coneflower is just starting to come into bloom now. They re-seed pretty well on their own over time. Just don't disturb the soil.

Is there a well beneath the pump in your pictures? If so, does it have water in it? Having a well, even one you have to hand pump to get water out, is a blessing as long as the water is good.

Legion, those look great! I'm just about ready to yank the pansies I have in flower beds. They really show signs of petering out after this 2 week 90+ degree (and no rain) weather we had. I watered them but I think they simply can't take the heat or pull water quickly enough from the soil. Raining today and I'm thankful.

My purple coneflower is just starting to come into bloom now. They re-seed pretty well on their own over time. Just don't disturb the soil.

Is there a well beneath the pump in your pictures? If so, does it have water in it? Having a well, even one you have to hand pump to get water out, is a blessing as long as the water is good.

Not a well in the rock on this hill but I have a water line that runs under the road with an intake in the river - just need to find time to put the piston pump back together and prime the line from the house well. House well is shallow dug but didn't run low with all the watering last summer. Planting first, then mowing ... then time for working on the pump. But I also want to get the porch shaded and the canoe and kayak down to the dock. Summer is so short.

Finally, all three sizes of squirrel are baffled!

I've tried the 16" diameter aluminum 'plate' style baffle - they stretched and stretched their little arms and finally found a way ... and then taught all their friends.

I've tried the most entertaining barrier of all - flexible chopping mats which just had the squirrels dropping like meercats. :D (have some crazy video clips) ... until one chewed through and took all their friends.

So, I went window shopping all departments of the local Home Hardware, and when my eyes clamped on the solution, I just knew it. 4" galvanized smoke pipe, 30" long. Crimped top rests on plumber's clamp secured to pole. Simple and frugal solution. Works like a charm.

And the jays and grackles are not liking the feeders and seem to be ignoring them.

Perhaps, maybe ... I've won one?

DSCF5486 SQUIRREL BAFFLE 650 MED.jpg

Finally, all three sizes of squirrel are baffled!

I've tried the 16" diameter aluminum 'plate' style baffle - they stretched and stretched their little arms and finally found a way ... and then taught all their friends.

I've tried the most entertaining barrier of all - flexible chopping mats which just had the squirrels dropping like meercats. :D (have some crazy video clips) ... until one chewed through and took all their friends.

So, I went window shopping all departments of the local Home Hardware, and when my eyes clamped on the solution, I just knew it. 4" galvanized smoke pipe, 30" long. Crimped top rests on plumber's clamp secured to pole. Simple and frugal solution. Works like a charm.

And the jays and grackles are not liking the feeders and seem to be ignoring them.

Perhaps, maybe ... I've won one?

View attachment 1140780

I hope the hail won't put a dent in the crops! :)

We were lucky, didn't see anything of ours it hurt. Thunderstorms are unusual here so three days in a row with serious hail is extremly unusual for here.

Last year's plantings of perennial bee balm (blossoms will be flaming red) and hollyhock (pink on tall stalks) have thrived beyond expectations.

DSCF5520 BEE BALM HOLLYHOCK SUNRISE 650 MED.jpg

DSCF5530 BEE BALM HOLLYHOCK BOULDERS SUNRISE 650 MED.jpg

High rockery grows in size as time to bust sod (and willingness to bust sod in heat and blackflies) allow. 10 bee balm plugs are planted and Echinacea seeds - more perennials. Trimming the edges with gas trimmer ... finding the way to control weed seeds while digging and planting. Think I may have 'trimmed' the corn being over zealous cutting back on the drainage ditches :eek:

DSCF5502 HIGH ROCKERY PLANTED 650 MED.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Taldesa. The Bee Balm or is it Hollyhock, is huge. Amazing how quickly things grow. How has your gas weedeater worked out?

I am just about ready to pick my first zuchini squash and a mess of red beets. Hoping my wife will be willing to prepare them.... For some reason, I sense that the red beets should have been a May harvest thing....

The red beets really shaded out the onions. I think next year I will spread things out a bit more or plant the onions in a container. The container approach looks like a winner for onions. I'll probably be planting more onions later on this year. Will need to scarf up a suitable container.

Been trying to change out the hummingbird nectar more frequently, but I often forget if there is still "clear" nectar in the feeder. That doesn't mean it hasn't gone bad however as I am finding out.

Last edited:
Ancient canopy - may be its last year of life :( with extension made of polyethelene tarp reinforced with webbing - shelters begonias from water and harsh uv ... and shelters me too :D

Jute trellis for scarlet runner pole beans is placed - plants coming along nicely from last year's crop of seeds. This is hot summer shade for porch.

DSCF5517 PORCH CANOPY COLEUS BEGONIAS 650 MED.jpg

DSCF5497 PORCH CANOPY JUTE FOR BEANS 650 MED.jpg

BTW - Should I disappear from here, it will be due to the aggravation of dialup at a new low of 9 kbs ... all the way to a roaring high of 29 kbs lately. I've complained four times lately but I am not a large (read $$$) demographic.

Heck, I only saw after several days that LEGION 12 LEGION 12 posted squirrel above was even animated!

Looks good Taldesa. The Bee Balm or is it Hollyhock, is huge. Amazing how quickly things grow. How has your gas weedeater worked out?

I am just about ready to pick my first zuchini squash and a mess of red beets. Hoping my wife will be willing to prepare them.... For some reason, I sense that the red beets should have been a May harvest thing....

The red beets really shaded out the onions. I think next year I will spread things out a bit more or plant the onions in a container. The container approach looks like a winner for onions. I'll probably be planting more onions later on this year. Will need to scarf up a suitable container.

Been trying to change out the hummingbird nectar more frequently, but I often forget if there is still "clear" nectar in the feeder. That doesn't mean it hasn't gone bad however as I am finding out.

Thanks 22-rimfire,

Hollyhock on near side or left of pics, and is huge (very worthwhile perennial that will spike huge flowers to 5 ft or so)

Trimmer starts like a charm - I follow manufacturer's instructions re fuel and oil and info from my Canadian Tire go-to-guy for operation. Yet, there is one of me, one trimmer ... and way too much "grass" (weeds pooped by moose) - but I will win :thumbsup: It may not be pretty but the seeds will not be falling directly into my gardens - that's the main aim.

I love beet greens fresh from the garden ... and cooked and preserved beets.

I think if the hummers are taking the food, it is likely good - they are fussy. But only you can gauge this best in the heat of summer there. Still enjoying temperate weather here. I had some night marauder sucking the large hummingbird feeders dry after dark ... and before I staked out the game cams, I saw a huge racoon in person standing on his/her tippy toes supping away at 1:30 am one morning. Shocking - I never see racoons here. I've taken the hummer feeders inside at 10 pm and placed them outside at 5 am - not wanting Busby to miss a meal :rolleyes: ... and it's sort of like having her back ordering my getting up time and bedtime - yikes! Ever the farm life for me it seems.

Last edited:
I think the hummingbirds actually like the fermented sugar water. But, I don't think it's good for them.

The raccoon visitor hitting the nectar is something I would have never expected. Learn something every day! I had that problem with a sunflower feeder. I began taking it inside. i have since moved it and on a new hanger that they can't climb or reach. But the birds preferred the shelter of the previous feeder location.

Any of you have volunteer pepper plants pop up and if so did they produce peppers? I realize that hybrids will not re-seed true. I have one that is largish that I allowed to grow. Don't believe it has bloomed yet.

Back