The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Can't decided whether to thin these out pakage says to thin to 4 - 6 " apart but I think they may be rooted together ?

Tomatoes looking good from above and not underside. What’s going on? Suggestions?
IMG_5439.JPG
IMG_5440.JPG

Are they touching the ground ? If so get them off .
No, all mid-air.

I turned to google and it looks like blossom end rot which according to web advice is caused by over/under/inconsistent watering, lack of calcium in soil, wrong pH soil. One person suggested watering with powdered milk.

All other fruit looks fine, so I’m keeping an eye on the bottoms.

No, all mid-air.

I turned to google and it looks like blossom end rot which according to web advice is caused by over/under/inconsistent watering, lack of calcium in soil, wrong pH soil. One person suggested watering with powdered milk.

All other fruit looks fine, so I’m keeping an eye on the bottoms.
Iv'e never seen that some of mine are starting to split from to much water I have cut down on watering but I cant do anything about the rain .

Iv'e never seen that some of mine are starting to split from to much water I have cut down on watering but I cant do anything about the rain .
I agree, the rain is difficult to compensate for...

The other thing I noticed in my reading (skimming) was that the watering problem may be over a course of time, so that would make it more difficult to pinpoint. The first tomato was excellent in every regard.

When I took over watering last week, it appeared to me that everything had been overwatered (plus we got a massive rain storm), so I cut back on the water. BUT, I never thought to check the bottoms of the tomatoes, so I'm in the dark on the progression of all of this. Glad yours are doing well. BTW, in the past, we never had this issue either, now that I think about it. Hmm...

I'm off tomato duty now, and hope that we can right the course. Nice peppers. We have 4-5 showing themselves too.

Last year was really wet here. My tomatoes didn't do well at all with lots of rotting on the vine. I think it's a watering issue and may be something you can't control.

Tomatoes looking good from above and not underside. What’s going on? Suggestions?
View attachment 1169814
View attachment 1169815
Thats called blossom end rot. Its uually a nutritional deficiency issue, i think calcium. A good fertilizer should help, but may be too late for the ones that have fruited.

Also, hey all! Had a big gardening hiatus a while back, then forgot about these threads. Looking good out there!

Last year was really wet here. My tomatoes didn't do well at all with lots of rotting on the vine. I think it's a watering issue and may be something you can't control.
The watering is tricky, by that I mean: for example, today is extremely hot (heat warning in effect); blazing sun, etc.

I opened the door and it is beating-down rain (and full sun). Within a few minutes, the water in the street is 2" deep (flash flood-like) and halfway up the curb on the sides of the road.

If I weren't home, I would have had no idea it rained and how much came down.

The watering is tricky, by that I mean: for example, today is extremely hot (heat warning in effect); blazing sun, etc.

I opened the door and it is beating-down rain (and full sun). Within a few minutes, the water in the street is 2" deep (flash flood-like) and halfway up the curb on the sides of the road.

If I weren't home, I would have had no idea it rained and how much came down.
That's why I have a rain gauge , if I don't forget to empty it . :confused:

I also bought a moisture meter mainly for the raised bed it's hard to tell when it needs water .

..... If I weren't home, I would have had no idea it rained and how much came down.
I, like Legion 12, have a rain gauge. Even the "cheap" yellow ones are better than nothing. I have one that measures to 0.01" and I try to religiously empty it daily if it rains and record the amount. Been doing this for a couple years now since the drought in 2016 after I got frustrated with the variability of the less expensive gauges. For example, I bought this cute glass thing (cylinder with markings) and it apparently read one-half inch as a full inch in terms of actual rainfall (or in other words double). It took some convincing that this was the case, but I know it to be a fact. It got trashed. The replacement was the more detailed measuring type, but you have to manually empty it. It isn't the end of the world if I forget to empty it, but I like to record a daily amount versus some longer time period.

I have a rain gauge in the front and back yards. But the front yard one is the "official" measurement for me. But I compare the two amounts. The yellow plastic hardware store one typically reads about 10-15% higher than the front yard one and yellow one measures to 0.1". So, for casual measuring, it was okay, but I wanted something more precise.

3.89" of rain in July so far and 46.58" of rain to date in 2019. I find this interesting.... Normal is about 4" of rain per month.

Have not purchased a soil moisture meter. I suppose I could..... I like gadgets. :D

Keep hoping one of those localized thunder showers hits my yard today. It has been a week now without rain.

Last edited:
Back