The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

I am setting outside beside a fire from a massive elm tree that died. A friend dropped it in my garden spring before last . Health issues kept my from getting it cut up last winter . This is the last of it . I can grow a garden this year. Kind of sad though, the tree was here long before the neighborhood. I have burnt most of it in the garden putting it back into the soil it came from.

We lost most of our elms long ago ... on rare occasion I spot a stately, distinctive tree that reminds me of that time when they lined the long country laneways and farm paths here. Always a loss when one goes down.

That fire sounds inviting, though. A worthy end. Welcome back to the garden plumberroy.

The elms are gone and have been for years just like the American Chestnut. Hemlocks are headed in the same direction.

We had a couple hot days, record high temps for February here and in much of the Southeast US. It was 80 degrees F here yesterday. The front passed through and we're back to around 40 degrees which is about normal for Feb. The warm temps have resulted in many tulips pushing out of the ground. Some daffodils are ready to bloom in my yard (early varieties).

We have a visitor in the house and I actually turned on the air conditioning for his sleeping comfort knowing full well it was going to be back to heating today. I wouldn't have done that for myself.

Punxy Phil didn't see his shadow and we're supposed to have an early spring. ;)

Added: Noticed my Quince bushes are going into bloom due to the hotter weather. They are early bloomers typically.

Last edited:
Hummingbird's hanging out at the bar today. Snowflakes are big as she is.

JpQKCoc.jpg

Hummingbird's hanging out at the bar today. Snowflakes are big as she is.
That to me is truly amazing! I have the exact feeder; I use it as my spare that I add in the mid to late summer when activity is highest for extra nectar.

When you understand that the frame of these tiny birds is way smaller than a man's little finger - so fragile ... and to know that they travel over mountains and vast bodies of water, 20' waves, and hostile terrain avoiding predators on land and sky ... just to migrate every year of their lives across this massive continent - well, I am simply at a loss to express my sense of it all. Every hummer we see is an astounding story of survival of the tiniest over some of the greatest physical odds on our planet. Kudos for the littlest birds - and thanks to those who help them :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yesterday

DSCF4051 WINTER STORM 650 MED.jpg

Today - a beautiful day. Snow's not so deep, but yesterday it came down with a wild wind, jack-knifed transports, highway closures and power outages. Snowblower is working fine now.

DSCF4054 WINTER STORM AFTERMATH 650 MED.jpg

Makes you appreciate that you have a warm place to live.

I can see why when you hear me mentioning daffodils almost ready to bloom, it is a bit foreign to you.

Yesterday

View attachment 1070207

Today - a beautiful day. Snow's not so deep, but yesterday it came down with a wild wind, jack-knifed transports, highway closures and power outages. Snowblower is working fine now.

View attachment 1070204
Picturesque! — but a tad too wintry for my preferred taste.

(It never looks that nice in the city after the first 5 min. and it can make getting around a trial.)

Well we're 4 days into our big storm, and the snow has given way to rain. Nothing like 12" of slush and ice to make you want to keep off the roads in this part of the world that hasn't seen this weather in 20 years. I shoveled a path for the water to get out into the street, and that's as far as I'm going that direction. (We do not have snow plows in the city.) Out back I've been keeping an area cleared and seed out for the birds. They are having it fairly rough with a couple exceptions.
hDQIzRi.jpg

Mostly I'm seeing songbirds; the robins are more insect feeders and even they are showing, but the Raven pair that normally rule this area have not been around. They are very much insect feeders, although a peanut is good bait also. The jays have been out, but not much.
JGX5Npv.jpg

Most unusually I've got a crowd of a dozen or more wood thrush, which we don't see often. They don't tend to come this low and never when it starts to warm up. But unlike most of the other birds, they don't seem to mind the snow, and they apparently have a very developed sense of status. They usually don't mind the smaller birds sharing, and even the Robins are allowed to hand around, but they get very picky about another of their tribe. jays of course just take over when they come in.
EcENFFa.jpg

At least this gives me something to watch. Even the squirrels and raccoons have been holed up, and the deer seem to be staying around the college campus, probably because there's no traffic there for a change.

Daffodils are beginning to bloom in Southeast TN (and my yard). Mid February is not uncommon for them to start blooming. We could still get a snow into March if the right circumstances develop.

Well we're 4 days into our big storm, and the snow has given way to rain. Nothing like 12" of slush and ice to make you want to keep off the roads in this part of the world that hasn't seen this weather in 20 years. I shoveled a path for the water to get out into the street, and that's as far as I'm going that direction. (We do not have snow plows in the city.) Out back I've been keeping an area cleared and seed out for the birds. They are having it fairly rough with a couple exceptions.

We don't get that beautiful thrush here ... the colouration of ours is more brown and plain. Yes, it sure looks like a tough winter so far, especially for the insect eaters. Here we are just going under the white stuff again ... can't wait for daylight to see exactly how deep it is!

Daffodils are beginning to bloom in Southeast TN (and my yard). Mid February is not uncommon for them to start blooming. We could still get a snow into March if the right circumstances develop.

Overnight I just kept swinging the two storm doors outward to clear the snow to make sure I could get them open as the snow built up against them. The dilemma is now - do I break out the snowblower today or do I wait until the storm is over :eek:

Daffodils! Hope is in the air in TN for sure. February is considered here to be "the depths of winter" so all the bulbs are biding their time until much later. We can plant outside (generally) only after the 24th of May to avoid killing frosts but of course the bulbs are treating us to blooms far earlier ... crocus poke through the last vestiges of snow. Even now though, the sun clears the van windows of light snow if I angle it just right in the yard.

We have a pair of Brown Thrush that visit our yard frequently. They seem to be mostly ground feeders.

My fescue lawn has greened up considerably in the last week and is growing. Probably will do my first mowing in a early March. Warmer days makes the grass grow, so it all depends on how the rest of the winter plays out.

Thoughts of mowing, eh? :D

More snow coming in forecast for here. Not overly deep yet but yesterday's clean up took twice the usual time and I still need to widen some of the corners and to clear the tarp shed of the buildup. Pathways to the compost and burning barrel and equipment shed out back need digging out as well.

Flag, Spaniel Crossing sign ... the trellises and bee balm seed heads are now well under. The snowbanks are higher than the cowling on the snowblower! Winter is upon us.

DSCF4095 SNOWBANKS COMPARISON 650 MED.jpg

Drama at Busby's window just a few moments ago. I was right there when I heard that dreaded thump on the window. I checked - and this little chickadee was out cold ... but looking hopeful as the neck did not look broken. In a couple of minutes he was looking around, wondering what the heck ... then pulled himself back together, and finally ... flew off

Conked out

DSCF4096 CHICKADEE UNCONSCIOUS 650 MED.jpg

DSCF4100 CHICKADEE AWAKENED 650 MED.jpg

DSCF4104 CHICKADEE READY TO GO 650 MED.jpg

... then gone :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just after daybreak this morning I ventured out to feed the birds as usual and on returning said to the girls, "Another beautiful day in paradise, ladies." ... and I meant it because the spring sunshine is bright on the snow, the eaves drip from the icicles, the red squirrels chase streaking up and down the tree trunks - Spring is upon us!

I just love my seasons, yet spring is particularly significant to me. Soon - off with the weight of snow boots, off with the michilan man snow wear, a lighter life, no wood carry, no clearing the vehicle, no more snowblowing - NOT YET BUT SOON!

Meanwhile, the glare off the snow is uplifting in a way. Almost blinding, though. Can deal with that

Inside Busby enjoys a fresh hyacinth while the snow swirls just outside the window.

DSCF4188 BUSBY ENCLOSURE HYACINTH 650 MED.jpg

DSCF4203 BUSBY HYACINTH 650 MED.jpg
I have, and I hope anyone who follows here has, seen the red throat feathers as Busby grew from poor health to good - yet the latest look is a lot more svelte and definitely looking like a female hummingbird. White band on tail feathers as well. OK - Busby seems to be a girl. The name remains - she is more noisy than ever :D

Two things strike terror into Busby ... not me, not my dogs, not squirrels, not woodpeckers or flocks of grosbeaks, One barred owl that perched on the platform feeder outside and that I had to chase off several times - and ants. Apparently ants are an instinctive threat, carrying disease and ones that contaminate food sources as they die by drowning in the bird's nectar source. With birds, spray or poison will kill the bird - so it is all mechanical control. Wish me luck and energy and vigilance especially with a bird that pees sugar water

So , tell me about the daffodils that are blooming and the bees emerging ... to contrast with the grip of winter that releases a lot more slowly here for sure.

Inside I've started two more coleus "Ruby Slipper" rootings from the overwintered plants - using english ivy cuttings to encourage growth (auxins). Also I've started 10 thunbergia vine seeds - waiting for a sign of growth at this writing.

Getting up the grade on snowshoes out the back door put me face down in the snowbank at first ... this trip was to empty the two ash buckets from the woodburner.

DSCF4215 BACK DOOR SNOW 650 MED.jpg

Yesterday was a perfect day for shoeing. Note I can walk overtop the tomato cages - nope, no signs of life just yet. NOT a crop circle! :D

DSCF4224 SNOW TOMATO CAGE 650 MED.jpg

DSCF4228 SNOWSHOE TRAIL TOMATO CAGE 650 MED.jpg

Daisy loves the snowshoe trails

DSCF4233 SNOWSHOE TRAIL DAISY 650 MED.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4240 SNOWSHOE TRAIL PHOTOG 650 MED.jpg
    DSCF4240 SNOWSHOE TRAIL PHOTOG 650 MED.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF4239 SNOW TRAILS 650 MED.jpg
    DSCF4239 SNOW TRAILS 650 MED.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF4213 LANEWAY SNOW 650 MED.jpg
    DSCF4213 LANEWAY SNOW 650 MED.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great post Taldesta. I like posts that kind of keep you up to date on the seasons. We are at the beginning of another rain event today. Weather is supposed to turn much colder at night after this passes through. The HVAC people are supposed to be at my house on Tuesday and Wednesday installing new systems.

Things are looking very spring like here. The Daffodils have been blooming for a week or so. Forsythia, Bradford Pear, some early fruit trees, and other early bloomers are either in bloom or coming into full bloom. I evened out (aka first mowing) my yard (grass) last Wednesday. Crest Dwarf Iris are blooming and the hyacinths are pushing up bloom heads.

Had fresh broccoli Friday for dinner from the garden. These were plants I put out in the early fall that survived the winter. Had to cut enough for about 6 people, so a big bag. The trusty SAK got the honors.

I picked up onion sets to plant after this cold weather passes through this coming week and I will till up a small portion of the garden for them. Onions are one thing we generally use for cooking on a regular basis. So, there is little waste. May toss some lettuce seed out and see if it does anything. The local hardware store (Ace) is stocking most of the cold season plants now for sale. May have to put out a couple more broccoli plants. The ones I have are past the second cutting and probably won't be productive soon.

Is that a red twig Japanese Maple? If so, I almost bought one and then changed my mind for a more common Japanese Maple variety that responds to occasional pruning well and I understand the growth habits.

Taldesta, you dropped down in size of your photos again? I have been following your recommendations since last year and you were quite helpful in making those re-sizing decisions for the forum posts. Essentially... big enough for here.

Added: You mentioned tomato cages. Does that mean you have about 3 feet of snow on the ground right now?

Last edited:
ZZ..Taldesta, you dropped down in size of your photos again? I have been following your recommendations since last year and you were quite helpful in making those re-sizing decisions for the forum posts. Essentially... big enough for here.

Added: You mentioned tomato cages. Does that mean you have about 3 feet of snow on the ground right now?

Yes re photo size. My monitor died (well light streaks through it - at age 9 years so no surprise) and I find the 650 w x 488 pixel size more compact when viewing on this 'new to me' monitor I scrounged.

Yup, at least 3 ft of snow ... walking on air hereabouts!

Back