The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Suprisingly, no hornworms this season on my tomato plants. I think it just been too hot. Several days so far well over 100.
Had em last year though and dispatched any I found. They will phuck up your plants.
Had I thought about it, I should have moved both hornworms to the old plants where they could munch to their delight. I will be yanking those plants as soon as a couple small tomatoes ripen on them.

Been hot here too. We are in the midst of another heat wave in the mid to upper 90's. We haven't had any rain in two weeks here.

Last edited:
My latest project is this bird feeder. Empty now, but that's going to change pretty fast. I put it together because I couldn't find anything I liked that worked. This is about 7' tall, holds two large suet blocks, and should be safe from any heavy winds we get. Plus it's got some rain protection, and the rodent stopper actually works. Working on a loose seed feeder for the other birds too. Been doing some of the winter prep trimming this past weekend, and with luck I may even get the mulch laid down before Thanksgiving. I have to figure out what to do with the tall lilies though. The old ones need thinning, the three super tall ones are gonna go away. And fewer tulips this coming year too.

ArUlvKV.jpg

Pretty classy feeder! I like the pole! Pretty much what I use for blue bird boxes, just a thinner diameter. I don't feed enough suet to justify a feeder like this. Suet is not standard fair at my house although I do put it out occasionally in the winter.

Did you drive the pole into the ground or dig a hole?

Did you drive the pole into the ground or dig a hole?

Dug a post hole about 18"+ deep and then used this expandable foam to set it in place. It's pretty amazing stuff. I used it last year when we had a storm knock down some fencing and I wasn't up to mixing concrete in the rain and the fence needed to be fixed. Turned an hours long job into a much shorter one, sets up solid with no major mess and seems to be lasting as the poles I set then are still rock solid and holding.

I'll trim this down to grass level now it's cured and when, I finally get the dirt to raise the ground level up to the top of the retaining wall, it'll be invisible.

loWa9FB.jpg

Here is a status picture on my container growing celery. We have fortunate to have gotten a couple localized thundershowers here, but it is still considered "moderate drought" conditions. Temps hit 100 degree F today. That is hot for September; actually hot anytime here regardless of the month. Garden stuff is winding down although we still are getting sufficient ripe tomatoes and the peppers are starting to rejuvenate for their fall growth.
IMG_5243ed.jpg

Hummingbirds are very actively hitting the feeders now and have been for a couple weeks. It is not uncommon to have six hitting at once. This is much more activity than normal. I replaced the nectar today as they had drank it down to nearly empty. Probably still have another couple weeks of hummingbird activity unless we get a cold spell.

Fall temps here are 70-75F daytime and no longer do the gardens need watering ... perhaps just a little too warm in the sunshine for heavy work that needs to be done - but I'll take it! 100F would drop me in my tracks :eek: Celery looks great - definitely enjoys the long growing season.

Extension to veg garden in the wild is planned for next spring - cardboard 'lasagna' is placed to weaken roots of jungle.

DSCF7430 SWEET PEA COMPOST LASAGNA VEG GARDEN 650 MED.jpg

Coleus 'Ruby Slipper' has thrived again this year on the porch. One of these planters is from cuttings taken from 2018. Daisy is drinking from the fountain which has been taken over all summer by the frog - so not so much a fountain as a reservoir for dog and frog. Thunbergia (black eyed susan vine) climbs from its floor pot to the sky at the back - and wants to go much higher. Jack and the Beanstock comes to mind.

DSCF7505 DAISY DRINKS COLEUS PORCH 650 MED.jpg

Last visit I've seen from the wild turkey mom and little ones. They found the birdfeeder leavings on the 'lawn' but remain very wary.

DSCF7546 WILD TURKEYS 3 BIRDFEEDER 650 MED.jpg

Yesterday there was a female hummingbird at the feeder; the day before there was a juvenile female - both on their own from my observation. Both seemed strong as they hit the feeder and the nasturtiums. Please know that, every time I see one at this time of the year, I mutter under my breath - go South, now! Actually I mutter a little more than that under my breath :D

DSCF7413 FEMALE HUMMINGBIRD JUVENILE NASTURTIURTIUM CROPPED  650 MED.jpg

There are still lots of flowers - glads, cosmos, petunias, gaillardia, zinnias, nasturtiums and even a little bee balm for the hummingbirds. They can tank up well here for the migration. Some monarchs are still here as well. Get winging it South, you guys, while the getting's good!

DSCF7608 COSMO GLAD PLANTERS NASTURTIUM 650 MED.jpg

All the gardens are maturing. Here, the amaranth (Love Lies Bleeding) has bloomed into red elephantine trunks. There are many varieties.

DSCF7656 AMARANTH LOVE LIES BLEEDING 650 MED.jpg

Meanwhile, fall means a heavy workload here. Trailer lights are driving me crazy because I've had the van in and had that section checked out but still one trailer light won't work even though I've replaced it - while the other one works. Taking time I don't have at this time of the year when I have a lot of trailering to do.

Also, a gusty windstorm grabbed a couple of small slits in the tarp shed and blew the whole roof off - split it down the middle the entire length 20'. Lucky I am a collector of tarps :D

Now I must compress the contents into the small wooden shed behind the house. Wish me luck with that!

Coleus 'Ruby Slipper' has thrived again this year on the porch. One of these planters is from cuttings taken from 2018. Daisy is drinking from the fountain which has been taken over all summer by the frog - so not so much a fountain as a reservoir for dog and frog. Thunbergia (black eyed susan vine) climbs from its floor pot to the sky at the back - and wants to go much higher. Jack and the Beanstock comes to mind.
I believe I have the Ruby Slipper red Coleus also. It doesn't seem to go to flower like the other varieties that I have. Your's looks fantastic!! The small leaf variety (green & reddish) also doesn't seem to go to seed easily either. Will comment further in a bit.

A bit later this year (before frost), I may take some cuttings and begin to root them as they root easily in water. They provide stunning foliage color. That will save me a couple bucks come May of next year. I just have so much green stuff that winters inside the house to do much more. I would like to add some cactus to the mix however. Cats might just not like that much. ;)

This heat is KILLING ME. I had to do a job on Monday wearing Tyvek suit and respirator and it was 100 there too. I was totally soaking wet when I was finished. Had a complete set of clean dry clothes to put on after I was finished. I know how it is with wet clothes and AC in a vehicle... I would be getting cold on my 200 mile drive home if I didn't change.

I am still watering my garden every couple of days. It doesn't take long if I use a water hose.

Last edited:
We had some turkey action today, a bit different though. It may be difficult to see, but there are 2 turkeys blocking the road (at rush hour). They won't move, so a woman comes out with a broom and starts swatting at them. That doesn't work; they start charging on her, and she retreats.

Then a man with a noose comes out (not shown here) waving it threateningly at the turkeys. After about 10 min, the turkeys get out of the road. (This was caputured on video, with soundtrack. Sorry I can't provide the complete experience.)

IMG_2712.jpeg IMG_5533.jpeg

Good story. Turkeys can be aggressive. I have heard them trying to attack someone wearing a blue shirt. Apparently the gobblers turn bluish when they are being aggressive. This probably demonstrates that we need to hunt them more.

Interesting. Yeah, I don't know how that would work in the city limits. (The woman with the broom is the driver of that white truck--stopped at the front of that line of cars; I doubt she could pull out her shotgun or muzzleloader right there, even on Oct. 21.:D) ETA: in the video, you can see the cars from different directions trying to drive around the turkeys and the turkeys running around with the lady waving her broom...accompanied by Bach violin concerto!

I checked and you can hunt them 2x/year with license and permit:
  • Spring season: April 29 - May 25; Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end at noon
  • Fall season: Oct. 21 - Nov. 2; Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end ½ hour after sunset.
  • The annual limit is 2 wild turkeys, but you may only harvest 1 per day.
  • Shotgun: No larger than 10 gauge using #4-#7 shot.
  • Muzzleloader: No larger than.775 caliber smoothbore muzzleloading shotgun using #4-#7 size shot.
  • Archery Equipment: Arrows must have a well sharpened steel broadhead blades not less than 7/8 inches in width...

Wild turkeys in Massachusetts
At the time of colonial settlement, the wild turkey was widespread in Massachusetts. Due to habitat loss, turkeys were extirpated from the state and the last known native bird was killed in 1851. In the 1970s, MassWildlife biologists trapped 37 turkeys in New York and released them in the Berkshires... In 1991, the wild turkey was named the state’s official game bird. The estimated population now between 30,000 and 35,000 birds!
(Didn't know that.)

Last edited:
Interesting. Yeah, I don't know how that would work in the city limits. (The woman with the broom is the driver of that white truck--stopped at the front of that line of cars; I doubt she could pull out her shotgun or muzzleloader right there, even on Oct. 21.:D) ETA: in the video, you can see the cars from different directions trying to drive around the turkeys and the turkeys running around with the lady waving her broom...accompanied by Bach violin concerto!

I checked and you can hunt them 2x/year with license and permit:
  • Spring season: April 29 - May 25; Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end at noon
  • Fall season: Oct. 21 - Nov. 2; Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end ½ hour after sunset.
  • The annual limit is 2 wild turkeys, but you may only harvest 1 per day.
  • Shotgun: No larger than 10 gauge using #4-#7 shot.
  • Muzzleloader: No larger than.775 caliber smoothbore muzzleloading shotgun using #4-#7 size shot.
  • Archery Equipment: Arrows must have a well sharpened steel broadhead blades not less than 7/8 inches in width...

Wild turkeys in Massachusetts
At the time of colonial settlement, the wild turkey was widespread in Massachusetts. Due to habitat loss, turkeys were extirpated from the state and the last known native bird was killed in 1851. In the 1970s, MassWildlife biologists trapped 37 turkeys in New York and released them in the Berkshires... In 1991, the wild turkey was named the state’s official game bird. The estimated population now between 30,000 and 35,000 birds!
(Didn't know that.)
October 21st there will be no turkeys to be seen . :)

When I visit the Smoky's (National Park), I drive around turkeys all the time. They move. They are pretty common and folks don't even bother taking pictures of them for the most part unless the gobbler is fanning it's tail feathers.

Last edited:
Fall temps here are 70-75F daytime and no longer do the gardens need watering ... perhaps just a little too warm in the sunshine for heavy work that needs to be done - but I'll take it! 100F would drop me in my tracks :eek: Celery looks great - definitely enjoys the long growing season.

Extension to veg garden in the wild is planned for next spring - cardboard 'lasagna' is placed to weaken roots of jungle.

View attachment 1198371

View attachment 1198372
My Dad used to use newspaper for mulch in our large family garden around tomatoes and green peppers. It was a very effective weed barrier. Didn't look great but since they got a daily paper, this "recycling" was better than burning or putting in the trash. He didn't want to buy mulch (straw) as it would take quite a bit. Truck farms of course use black plastic as a weed barrier in their fields.

It deteriorates with weather exposure and you can till it into the soil in the spring.

Last edited:
Our hummingbirds are pretty much gone, right on schedule! We've seen a little more Turkey activity, they're in the neighborhood. Here they are under my seed feeder cleaning up.

medium800.jpg

I yanked the two tomato plants from my containers (Goliath variety) over the weekend, churned up the soil, added some slow release granular fertilizer, and added some more potting soil to nearly the brim. Think I'm going to stick some Pansies in those two containers for the winter/spring to be replaced by new tomato plants next year.

I still have one Big Boy variety tomato plant in the garden with a fair number of green tomatoes on it.

Last evening after dark I noticed a Hummingbird Moth laying eggs on my two remaining tomato plants I planted in July. So, I can expect to see some hornworms in a bit.

One of my celery plants is acting like someone sprayed weed killer on it with the leaves starting to roll a bit. Probably will loose that plant.

Still pretty dry here. I need to aerate my yard and over seed, but I have been dragging my feet on that because I will have to water so much to get the new seed going. Mother nature is not helping much in the precipitation department over the last few months. I made a spread sheet summarizing all of the rainfall this year so far (by month & day). (I was already doing a monthly total on another spreadsheet. The thing that jumps out at you is how dry it has gotten over the last few months and the frequency of rain has decreased. The time gaps between rains has gotten much wider. I previously just wrote the measurements down on a calendar, but there is other stuff written on the calendar and the rain issue doesn't stand out now.

I got the more precise rain gauge a couple years ago because of a drought that was ongoing at the time and I wanted to see better how much rain we were actually getting at the house. This was during the time period when Gatlinburg TN (Smoky Mt NP) was getting the wild fire. That was a survival event for many people living on the outskirts of Gatlinburg.

LEGION 12 LEGION 12 Have you gotten any peas from your late planting? I never have tried to plant peas late in the year.

Last edited:
I yanked the two tomato plants from my containers (Goliath variety) over the weekend, churned up the soil, added some slow release granular fertilizer, and added some more potting soil to nearly the brim. Think I'm going to stick some Pansies in those two containers for the winter/spring to be replaced by new tomato plants next year.

I still have one Big Boy variety tomato plant in the garden with a fair number of green tomatoes on it.

Last evening after dark I noticed a Hummingbird Moth laying eggs on my two remaining tomato plants I planted in July. So, I can expect to see some hornworms in a bit.

One of my celery plants is acting like someone sprayed weed killer on it with the leaves starting to roll a bit. Probably will loose that plant.

Still pretty dry here. I need to aerate my yard and over seed, but I have been dragging my feet on that because I will have to water so much to get the new seed going. Mother nature is not helping much in the precipitation department over the last few months. I made a spread sheet summarizing all of the rainfall this year so far (by month & day). (I was already doing a monthly total on another spreadsheet. The thing that jumps out at you is how dry it has gotten over the last few months and the frequency of rain has decreased. The time gaps between rains has gotten much wider. I previously just wrote the measurements down on a calendar, but there is other stuff written on the calendar and the rain issue doesn't stand out now.

I got the more precise rain gauge a couple years ago because of a drought that was ongoing at the time and I wanted to see better how much rain we were actually getting at the house. This was during the time period when Gatlinburg TN (Smoky Mt NP) was getting the wild fire. That was a survival event for many people living on the outskirts of Gatlinburg.

LEGION 12 LEGION 12 Have you gotten any peas from your late planting? I never have tried to plant peas late in the year.
I keep spread sheets on obscure data, and I've been amazed at the way I was able to apply it. (Actually figured out some things that no-one had been able to explain!) I wonder what you will do with those rain stats?

Back