The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

<....>

The one thing I add to your observation is that: I've found most people like their chosen work (or chosen field of study); fewer like the reality of the work environment, co-workers, management, governmental controls, the way they are expected to perform their job, etc.--many forces largely beyond their control.

So you never know. Doing it on your own terms can be best!

Agreed. In all honesty, I doubt that one career or job or study would have lasted me overly long - the world is just so full of things to learn and do.

<....>

Wondering why your older brother hated living on a farm? Work? My youngest brother was the last to leave the nest and my Dad really depended on him to help out. There was some resentment that built up over the years, but it never became an issue.

We lived about 20 miles from the high school I attended. (We thought that was a long distance then. Funny how perception of distance changes.) I don't look back fondly on those years as many do. I have never gone to any of the class reunions. I haven't seen a high school classmate in 40 years. Although I did help my older brother get in touch with an old high school girl friend. I do know how to reach a lot of them via Facebook.

My brother enjoyed cars and lots of friends and likely did not like pitching cattle manure much :D Soon, his friends all gravitated in their cars out to our farm anyway. There was always a hotrod or two with the hood up being doctored in the drive shed. He became a machinist, surrounded always by good people who liked to laugh.

I don't remember high school as any kind of picnic for sure. I don't think many people do.

HS: best 10 years of my life!:pUgh!

Headmaster was former highly decorated navy pilot (WW2); 9 varsity letters (Princeton); marathon swimmer; the oldest person to swim the English Channel…until record was broken 22 years later…etc.

One tough cuss. Liked to give out detention if you missed lunch…:rolleyes:

One highlight: the 20 mile backpack trip (3 day camping) in the mountains with 2 other classmates: no teachers!!! Lots of scrub oak and steep cliffs @10,000 feet and not too much water.

My brother enjoyed cars and lots of friends and likely did not like pitching cattle manure much :D Soon, his friends all gravitated in their cars out to our farm anyway. There was always a hotrod or two with the hood up being doctored in the drive shed. He became a machinist, surrounded always by good people who liked to laugh.
The guys were probably all there for you and you just didn't recognize it. ;) My one sister seemed to be hung up on guys with corvettes.

annr annr I believe our one principal was bounced from the priesthood. But that was years later.... long after I was gone. My Mother would roll over in her grave if she knew this stuff. These people could do no wrong in her book.

Last edited:
Been making a special point of watching for hummingbirds at my feeders and around the house. The clock is ticking and I believe there are only two left here that have not headed South. Both appear healthy. It is time for them to head South.

The sunflower feeders here haven't needed filling for a couple of weeks. Now, the migrating chickadees are hitting the feeders in small families judging from the 'back and forth' talking among them as they perch in the maple tree. Yesterday I shooed a hawk from the maple. The little birds appreciated that I am sure.

It is a decision I must make whether to feed on the platforms again this year. Last year I fed what seemed like herds of grosbeaks, sparrows, chickadees and woodpeckers, several mourning doves even ... and of course the bluejays, red and grey and black squirrels - all for Busby's entertainment. It kept her happy and hovering for sure.

I don't like luring the birds to such an open spot for predators.

Ah... eye professional.

Added: This is an important thing understanding the changes in pressure and what causes them.
Yes, but just an amateur using professional equipment with great software. I agree; it is important.

I was curious to see how much of "professional wisdom" withstood the test of reality.

With the ability to monitor 24/7, I discovered THE key variable that impacted pressure was something NOT on medical radar; most of the typically cited variables were non-factors or negligible.

I got confirmation of my findings when changes to my variable were confirmed by professional measurements. So far, so good.

annr annr I believe our one principal was bounced from the priesthood. But that was years later.... long after I was gone. My Mother would roll over in her grave if she knew this stuff. These people could do no wrong in her book.

Wow! I know what you mean. I received an email yesterday about a parish priest who thought he was clever enough to retire to Africa--no extradition treaty--and work in a boys school there.

He thought wrong. A curious (and outraged) lawyer tracked him down via his military pension. Because some of his crimes were committed on Federal property, he was still accountable to the FEDS for harming one individual (over 20 years earlier). He was sentenced to 30 years at age +/- 81 (basically a lifetime sentence).

BTW, the government of Tangier, Morocco threw him out when they heard of his crime.

In the course of the investigation, his predilections were documented as beginning at least 30 years earlier than the crime he went to jail for; but rather than giving him the boot, he was shipped off to another State. Terrible.

ah.... I better not comment on specifics. Religion is not an acceptable topic overall. This whole business with that church disgusts me and I'm a member.

I hope this post makes it ... lots of crackling and disconnects last while on the phone line. Roaring in here at 28 kbs which is better than the norm of late - 4.8 kbs

Amaranth elephantine blooms over 17" in length. Next year they will be planted into a garden, not a restrictive container.

DSCF7746 AMARANTH MEASURE 650 MED.jpg

Coleus propagates so easily. It needed some cover from the uv all summer and loves the cool, wet fall weather. I remove the blooms from the plants growing on the porch to keep the energy in the red foliage. These plants are a mix of cuttings from 2018 plants and new purchases this past spring. The cuttings are equal if not better than the new ones. Re: Dez and Daisy - the grey muzzles are treasures of the dog world.

DSCF7760 DEZ DAISY PORCH COLEUS AMARANTH 650 MED.jpg

These blooms are on the original plants from 2018 that over wintered and from which I took the cuttings for the 'porch' planters. Funnily, in spring I thought these guys looked kind of tired so I stuck them in some moist dirt on the East side of the house. They thrived and have put quite a dash of colour amongst the weeds there. Also, while cropping the coleus I tossed a bunch of stems into the gaillardia garden as compost - and they sprung to life and into full grown plants on their own. Just can't keep these guys down

DSCF7785 COLEUS BLOOM HOUSE EAST 650 MED.jpg

Gaillardia (perennial) and 3' high zinnias are loving the fall weather as well. This whole patch is just hopping with bees on warm days. A single, small monarch was tanking up here yesterday.

DSCF7766 GAILLARDIA ZINNIAS 650 MED.jpg

Zinnia: If I could catch the beauty and variety of this "Cut and Come Again Mix" with my camera, I would. I have not been able to. It is one of those things where the capture always falls short of what the eye appreciates. I would not have another summer without them in the garden.

View from my lazyboy - aka Busby's window. No snow ... yet :D. Cosmos, glads are running amok still ... even as the trees show their fall colours. Because I feed birds, the windows are a worry - and so I've got the owls and suction cup butterflys on all the feeder-facing windows. Also, you may be able to see that on the exterior of each pane there are two jute lines dangling round weights of orange rubber coated wire (c lower right) - and these move in the breeze. Knock on wood, no lost birds at all this year and the view is not much obstructed.

DSCF7788 BUSBY'S WINDOW COSMOS 650 MED.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF7747 AMARANTH MEASURE CLOSE 650 MED.jpg
    DSCF7747 AMARANTH MEASURE CLOSE 650 MED.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
taldesta taldesta :thumbsup::thumbsup:
So that's how they are supposed to look! Gorgeous. (I think we need a house call.)
+1 on the tape measure.;) (Time to look for mine again--it's gone missing for about 1 year...)

I am envious of your zinnias in particular. Mine just suck overall. I think it's too hot and I water them which helps the powdery mildew and who knows what else (disease) develop. I am just about to yank mine. I generally plant the medium height ones versus the traditional tall ones.

The Indian Blanket are real nice too.

Driving around yesterday and I saw a whole field of the medium height sunflowers in bloom. Stunning! As you probably know, the traditional sunflowers (Black Russians) get 10-12 feet tall. The shorter ones are in the 5-6 ft area. I used to grow them as a kid in PA. The birds would pretty much steal all the seed as it ripened. But, that's okay I guess.

Thinking the hummingbirds left today. I saw none, but saw at least one yesterday. Going to keep an eye out tomorrow, but I think they're headed South. I'll leave my feeders out at least another week. Probably will change out the nectar in the next day or so (just in case) in one feeder and bring the other in for the winter. Been a good year for hummers.

(Added: Saw a couple today at the feeder. 10/3/19)

The area has been setting record high temperatures for October. We hit 100 degrees F yesterday and 99 today. The record yesterday for the last 100 years was 91. We need rain. Climate change? Perhaps, but I don't think there is a damn thing humans can do about it.

Last edited:
On extended camp trips over 23 states - very long time ago and mostly leaving Canadian winter behind - my pups and I just could not handle the heat in the Southern-most locations (all the way to Key West). I would drive to well after dark and awake the next morning in a site with such blossoming vines overhead that I described it in my journal 'like waking in paradise'. We headed for a camp on Mustang Island (home to giant mosquitoes and ghost crabs, poisonous snakes) to enjoy some refreshing breezes off the Gulf. Every stop and experience along the way was absolutely wonderful. Every mile. Yet I know the heat is not for me. 100 F would just drop me.

I've often thought that the lower field here would look spectacular in bee balm or sunflowers. In spite of the flooding this past spring, the idea sticks. Perhaps the annual sunflower seeded would be best, over the costly perennial that could be lost in flood. I've kind of given up on managing the wild sections of this property on my own. Life's too short and I want to enjoy, not be a slave to it. Now, in the fall, I find the overgrown weeds and grasses, goldenrod, chicory etc. all make the property look rather derelict - in spite of my postage stamp flower garden by the house. Driving in the laneway it is like a tunnel of grasses on either side taller than the van - not managed well at all which does not sit well with me. Lots of thinking to do on a future here.

Hummingbirds - I use BF like a searchable journal of the comings and goings here ... and my pics document as well. I must get to the library wifi to post my short video of Busby on the bee balm. She and her girls are likely South of TN now.

Sometimes I think gifts just come my way. As I am in the process of relocating my tools and camp gear and recreational equipment from the compromised 10' X 20' tarp shed to one 7 x 7 barnboard shed out back (which is only large enough to house my table saw, band saw, shelving for accessories and some misc items like compressor, winch, charger etc.)

Rural property dweller here - the tools are independence from having to hire help at every turn.

The gift? HD has put on considerable deal their 7x7 shed with a nice steep roof. I so look forward to not having to get out to clear snow from the 10 x 20 ft tarp shed this winter. This shed will house my bike, camp gear, reel mower and other recreational equipment - nice and dry and maintenance free. Downscaling is freeing ... yet there is an active life that won't part easily with my outdoor gear! Not yet :D

Thunbergia (Black Eyed Susan Vine) reaching for the sky and loving the cool weather ...

DSCF7791 BLACKEYED SUSAN VINE THUNBERGIA 650 MED.jpg

Sweet Million are Daisy's favourite ... and she is welcome to them. Abundant tomatoes for us all.

DSCF7776 SWEET MILLION TOMATOES 650 MED.jpg

taldesta taldesta I am still getting ripe tomatoes and green/yellow peppers also. They tend to be small at this point, but it sure beats store bought ones unless you get lucky at a farmers market with locally ground stuff. I have no interest buying tomatoes at the store unless it is for some special occasion such as visitors and plans for a lot of salads to be prepared.

The gardening thing is just something that's in your blood. You do it because you enjoy doing it overall and like the results. In your case, the sunflower thing would be really cool but would require a significant preparation effort. But, we do stuff like this because we like to and not because it might cost some money. You have the room. As we talked about last this past winter, I would watch for a farmer who has a tractor and plow to maybe do it. The flooding is not something that is common as I understand it for you.

The onion sets (small bulbs) I planted in the rectangular container are only now starting to come up. Doesn't feel right in terms of growth and the length of time it took for them or start popping out of the ground. It is probably like watching a pot boil.....

I planted pansies in the two tomato containers for the winter. Now I just have to be willing to yank them come April even though I might not want to. I have more pansies to put out in my regular beds. Haven't decided yet if I am going to make a big effort in this regard or not. I do enjoy them and they do well if we have a mild winter. You might be able to plant some in a sheltered place up against your house. That's what we did in PA (by a chimney), but we never used the fireplace. It was not "hot" there, just against the house.

Last edited:
I've been considering having the lower field and the weedy hillsides here managed by someone other than myself... and that would mean mowing and gas trimming. If the lower field were worked for sunflowers or other 'crop', that would mean less mowing for sure. I think that twice a season, well timed to clear seed heads, would keep it all down to a dull roar. It's a challenge.

The warmer niche zones in Ontario closer to the Great Lakes are surprisingly favourable to over wintering hardier plants like pansies - in fact at my last digs a few plants did survive under snow cover but were leggy and didn't thrive the second season. I've had great luck with growing them from seed started after last frost.

Coleus is frozen this morning. When the sunshine warms the stems and the freeze is out, I'll know what stands or falls following the first 'killing' frost of the season here. Nasturtiums, begonia foliage, coleus, some varieties of cosmos will be lost ... not sure about the gaillardia.

I will say that the frost-topped bee balm and amaranth, the frost-rimmed cosmos - are beautiful in the first light.

Yesterday, I cut all the glads and took some zinnias as well for the house - a last hurrah of colour. I took some cuttings from the coleus and brought in the huge English ivy and one pot of chenille (red hot cattails). Last week I gave away all of Busby's flowering plants that had thrived outside all summer. Hunkering down for winter. Today I continue with the shed contents and may just start up the snowblower just for the heck of it :D

DSCF7792 GLAD ZINNIA LAST  HURRAH 650 MED.jpg

Last edited:
I've been considering having the lower field and the weedy hillsides here managed by someone other than myself... and that would mean mowing and gas trimming. If the lower field were worked for sunflowers or other 'crop', that would mean less mowing for sure. I think that twice a season, well timed to clear seed heads, would keep it all down to a dull roar. It's a challenge.

The warmer niche zones in Ontario closer to the Great Lakes are surprisingly favourable to over wintering hardier plants like pansies - in fact at my last digs a few plants did survive under snow cover but were leggy and didn't thrive the second season. I've had great luck with growing them from seed started after last frost.

Coleus is frozen this morning. When the sunshine warms the stems and the freeze is out, I'll know what stands or falls following the first 'killing' frost of the season here. Nasturtiums, begonia foliage, coleus, some varieties of cosmos will be lost ... not sure about the gaillardia.

I will say that the frost-topped bee balm and amaranth, the frost-rimmed cosmos - are beautiful in the first light.

Yesterday, I cut all the glads and took some zinnias as well for the house - a last hurrah of colour. I took some cuttings from the coleus and brought in the huge English ivy and one pot of chenille (red hot cattails). Last week I gave away all of Busby's flowering plants that had thrived outside all summer. Hunkering down for winter. Today I continue with the shed contents and may just start up the snowblower just for the heck of it :D

I saw on the weather forecast that you were likely to get a good freeze. Always hate to see it end each year. We're probably about a month away from our first freeze here. It of course varies.
IMG_5371ed.jpg

Picture of a bunch of smallish tomatoes that I picked. We have more than we can use at the moment. The one plant in the garden is just about done. The two later container tomatoes (7/13) continue to grow but not vibrantly like they do in the spring. If it cools down, I may move them to a sunnier location.
IMG_5373ed.jpg

What do you mean by "manage" the field? I know you can get farmers to use your land and you get a "cut" or a rental.

Last edited:
Cheery basket of ripe tomatoes there ... homegrown taste. Can't beat that :thumbsup:

Manage - I mean just to pay a landscaper or local to mow and gas trim twice a season. With the natural watercourse toward the back of the flats, there is not all that much arable land for someone to put crops on it, perhaps 1/2 acre at most. Years ago, I would have liked to tackle a truck garden on a small scale here ... but that time is past. I know what you mean by farmers renting land - we had such an arrangement with a farmer on a ten acre hobby farm at one point. Alfalfa. This area is mostly granite, water and forest. What this property needs is a lot more forest and a lot fewer weeds.

... or someone who has more enthusiasm for the struggle :D

One bee caught by the frosty night on a zinnia. Sunrise warmed the bee but the zinnias, nasturtiums, coleus, glads, begonia foliage and cosmos - all gone.

DSCF7831 ZINNIA BEE FROST 650 MED.jpg

Back