The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

taldesta taldesta and she probably misses the Ritz-Carlton room service and friendly housekeeper.

Right you are! And when I watch the clip of her razzing me while hovering over the bee balm last summer, I know she remembers.

Yet, I know that wild things seek wild ... and the last still of her leaving her enclosure in pure joy last spring remains my favourite. Busby, go girl!

Oh yes ... glad I planned ahead for the storm!

Well over a foot of snow accumulated in the first wave of squalls. That took a full 5 hours of snowblowing - slowed down when a stone jammed the auger, stalled the motor. This happened halfway down the lane. Now I had the choice, once I knocked the stone out, do I assemble electric cord to reach or do I drag that heavy sucker uphill to the plug-in. I'm sure my right arm disagreed with my decision to drag it as it is well strained already with wood and fall chores. No way I could pull-start this machine ... others could though, it's working well.

Mostly from Louisiana I recall the massive bridge structures in the South and what I think is called bottom land.

This morning I see only a dusting of snow ... that's hopeful :)

Last edited:
Before the lane clearing, prep done including shovelling the porch, steps and brooming the van ... Dez is shoulder high and following footpath through the snow. The pups love it when the yard is cleared for pooping etc.! :D Glad to oblige, girls!

DSCF8107 VAN DESTA SNOW 650 MED.jpg

Once the shovelling and broom prep is done on the porch and van, then the snowblower tackles the upper yard and then 160 ft laneway. Clearing snow is an art of sorts. Do it when the temps are cold - snow is lighter and not sticky. Clear the heavy snow first run going downhill - tidy going uphill. Slowest speed to wade through the deep pile left by the town plough at the roadway - this takes a lot of time and caution to watch for vehicles. Sometimes the peripherals are blocked by hat, hood and blinding snow air-born from the blower - that icy blast of frozen particles that stop your breath.

Not whining. Honest. Where else would I put my gardening energy in winter! :rolleyes:

And, ah yes, dig out the woodpile ...

DSCF8109 WOODPILE SNOW 650 MED.jpg

I can see why you tarp your trailers.... with snow for extended periods of time, that is a lot of moisture just sitting on the exposed wood.

Yes, that's snow! We haven't had snow like that in years here. Maybe this winter/year?

People have their weaknesses for sales ... mine is for tarps. It's the 'stay dry' camper in me- the one with formative experience with canvas tents that leaked and air mattresses that did not hold air. Not ever. Good grief, nothing gets my heart started like a 9 x 12 for $2.98 CDN! Just kidding I think :rolleyes:

That wonderful trailer you noted is wood-sided (tilt trailer and pretty to boot) and the only one that is not made of metal around town ... purchased in 2011. I can roll it around by hand - that was its main draw for me. It's my workhorse and still looking pretty spiff indeed. When I moved here and no longer had a shop for it, I picked up three doors from the re-store, removed the hardware and made them into the upper turtle shell under tarp that keeps the trailer in prime shape over winter, and in fact, all weather. I love my trailer. Not letting the rain or snow get her.

BTW I'm not wishing snow on anyone - just appreciating that it makes me work when I would be lazy and this is good for me.

Before the lane clearing, prep done including shovelling the porch, steps and brooming the van ... Dez is shoulder high and following footpath through the snow. The pups love it when the yard is cleared for pooping etc.! :D Glad to oblige, girls!

View attachment 1248284

View attachment 1248288
Pansies are blooming. My broccoli are forming heads now.... got to keep this winter stuff in perspective. :D The pansies are in my tomato containers. Broccoli doesn't look like much but the cold hasn't affected the plants too much (yet).
IMG_5647ed.jpg IMG_5648ed.jpg
Still nursing my celery. It has such pretty green leaves! It goes outside today as it's supposed to warm into the 50's.

Your tarp statement gave me the idea for an "Impulse Buy" thread over in Gadgets. Might be fun.

Last edited:
Well the year's drawing to a close. It's heated feeder time for the hummers. They seem to like it...:D
ZBmjYtY.jpg

Pansies are blooming. My broccoli are forming heads now...

Your tarp statement gave me the idea for an "Impulse Buy" thread over in Gadgets. Might be fun.

Colourful garden in December ... a treat to see when the snow covers the landscape here! Actually, due to dialup, I hadn't seen the pics until this morning and was so surprised when they downloaded. :thumbsup:

Re: impulse buy ... I checked out the thread and 'may' add to it with one of mine that was thwarted by nature this past spring (one impulse buy that went very wrong)... but that would be a red-faced admission indeed :oops:

Well the year's drawing to a close. It's heated feeder time for the hummers. They seem to like it...:D
ZBmjYtY.jpg
There is one variety of hummingbird that may over winter here. But I have never seen one that I am aware of. I would invest in a heated feeder if I had hummingbirds this time of the year. Mostly Ruby Throated ones here and they migrate South. I think it's kind of cool to have hummingbirds in a colder place.

We get Ruby's and Anna's. I think there's another type, but I've never seen it.

Been doing some research of the South FL area. My interest was nature and I appeared to have missed the crown jewel entirely which is the Corkscrew Sanctuary near Naples FL which contains a stand of the original Cypress trees that were common in the swamps prior to the intense logging activities in the 40's. There are reportedly trees that are as much as 500 years old there and a 2 mile boardwalk. Oh well, next time. I suspect there will be a next time. The Ghost Orchid blooms in the summer months which would be my target for photography as well as big Bald Cypress trees and birds/animals.

Last edited:
OK, I'm at the library, flying on wifi, and hope that the truncated media you see is of Busby. She flies at a dizzying pace and there is background noise from a truck on the road, so you may have to (please) bear with the camera as it tries to track her through the bee balm. None of the other hummers razz the camera like this one did all summer. My sense is that this is Busby, my lens-happy little girl - free.
18 secs

Her tiny, red santa hat is hung on the tree for Christmas :) Miss you little girl ...

Wishing everyone all the joy of the season, in each of your special celebrations ... joy with friends and family and pets and good food - maybe the odd sharp gift too ;)

Merry Christmas to All!

And on the weird side...I have daffodils starting to come up. It's December; how crazy is that?
rQHXzWJ.jpg
Probably need to check my Daffodil area for pop ups. On the bright side they will either freeze or bloom early. Seasons Greetings!

Added 12/28/19: My daffodils are not popping out of the ground yet.

We have had fairly warm weather for the last week for December and my broccoli and cauliflower have been growing well and either developing heads or enlarging the heads that are already there. Won't be long before they are big enough for the table.

I ground up fallen leaves with the mulching mower for the last time this winter just prior to Christmas as it was warm (almost tea shirt weather). Was watching a yard service do this with regular zero turn mower..... they blew the leaves into the center of the yard space and then did circles backwards over and over again to grind up the leaves. Thought it interesting. I would have gotten dizzy going in such short circles. :D

Last edited:
Here's to 2020! Wishing all a great year ahead ... health, happiness, prosperity and lots of fun in the mix too.

Freezing rain and snow with unseasonably mild temps here, so on the sunny side, here's a scan from the 2020 seed catalogue - my winter study (hope floats eternal) :) Wow, some very appealing tomatoes and peppers jumping off the page too, all shouting "grow me!" :rolleyes:

IMG_20191231_0001 SEED CATALOGUE SCAN 650 MED.jpg

taldesta taldesta

Same to you and other members!
Yours sounds like our weather yesterday, and the last few days. Nice to get a little break from the severe conditions I hope.

Now, those are some funny looking tomatoes and peppers.;)

BTW, some of my plants on the porch don't look any worse after getting snowed upon a couple times--some may even look better! LOL:rolleyes:

Back