The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

taldesta taldesta
My sister has Dachshunds and loves the little dogs. They seem intelligent and good natured. They barked like crazy when I visited on Christmas as I was a stranger.
Dad always referred to his little dachshund ... as his doorbell! He was quite hard of hearing toward the last. She guarded him, made him feel safe and kept him company - mighty little dog and happy heart that she was. Definitely smart too.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot :p, annr - finding out I didn't invent the "snow-push/pull move" organically myself is shocking. I have been so happy (it seems forever) with my system that I never even check the inventory of snowbrushes at Canadian Tire - and so I have not tried one.

In principle, I can comment that the shape of this rectangular broom looks improved over mine with the sharp corners to clear along the bottom of the windshield. I like that the handle appears to be telescoping. It looks light - perhaps aircraft aluminum. I trust that the handle stays screwed tightly into the broom head even when pressure applied might turn it? Nice! Yet the bristles do have their use getting at those tight spots around the wipers and spray ports.

As for the North ... the earliest I noted of brooms being used to clear snow: brooms discarded due to wear following curling season have always gone into the 'trunk' ... sorry, even I am not old enough to date this phenomenon ;)
Are you sure you are not an Amazon reviewer-plant?:p Pretty good analysis, and I think you are right about the fine detail around the wipers.

That was a pic I grabbed off the web for "foam snow brooms." Ours has a wooden handle (gas station purchase), non-telescoping, so I can't speak to the virtue of that feature. Where I noticed the improvement over my regular broom was the 'oomph' it had when pushing the snow off the car, car roof, and windshields. No "give" or bending like the bristles. The foam seems more efficient-- without straining-- to push the snow with this 3-D shape. Also, the foam is light, so it doesn't add to the weight of the possibly heavy snow. So far no scratching. But if you have a tried and true system, no need to change! And your broom bristles are cropped, something I have not tried.

You had to mention curling...Can't say that is a common occurrence here.:rolleyes: But still funny.

Last edited:
Tough to take: where is the sweating emoji?:D don’t worry, we’ll pay…BA03C462-714B-4EA4-BE71-CC40CD01A2E7.jpeg

upload_2020-1-11_19-31-1.png
We had the same here too. The west to east moving front with all the thunderstorms and occasional tornado deposited 0.49" of rain versus the 2 inches they were predicting. That is not to minimize the deaths from high winds and tornadoes that hit the South today.

All that said, I think taldesta taldesta isn't having a real good time at the moment as it is winter there.

Last edited:
It sure makes it hard to know what to wear day to day.

I humidify the house in winter to maintain 30–50% humidity. Woke up today and was 60+% indoors.

Tonight’s low is 60*F. (Can make it hard to sleep if too hot!) May rain tomorrow…maybe…low 30.

Yes, the great white North they’re probably not sitting on the front porch in a T-shirt sipping wine–like some people I know.

But we'll pay.

Last edited:
580A1AB9-4005-4EA4-8A0A-1D8E10C46DD1.jpeg D40B7447-EB7E-4E97-82D7-171AA6C68969.jpeg D2E30E57-AEE9-493A-9D63-E1967A719EEA.jpeg C7281E50-0950-45DC-8E1C-D2C1D87B2EB4.jpeg 470AD9A7-291E-458A-B6F2-6BA890B4EE10.jpeg I grew up in the San Gabriel valley California and migrated a whole 40 miles west to Simi Valley. Today went to Nuccios Gardens, a walk down my old paths. Old school grower of Azaleas and Camelias. I sold many of their plants at the retail and broker wholesale level in the 80s-almost to year 2000. Today just for my own yard. I bought 2 Nuccios Pearl formal double a Japonica type. Also 3 Yuletide sasanqua an upright “sun” camellia. Also 3 bush sasanqua semi double bloom pink. I flipped out my credit card and he said cash or check only. I told you he was old school. I had neither. He said to send him a check. $260 worth of plants! He does not know me from Adam. Of course I am sending him a check. Props too. Honor system wow! Check out those lath slats! They probably shade cloth in the late spring til fall. That is alluvial fan property, south facing Southern California baking summer sun.

Last edited:
I have a Camellia that is blooming now. Adds a colorful touch to the outdoors when only pansies are blooming. The seasons are precisely why I like TN as we have all the seasons, but normally a mild winter with short bursts of cold and occasional snow. Geography and climate is what attracts me to an area.

Today went to Nuccios Gardens, a walk down my old paths. Old school grower of Azaleas and Camelias.

Delightful to see in January! And, yes to old school ... looks like a great way to spend a day.

20200111-095120.jpg

I have a Camellia that is blooming now. Adds a colorful touch to the outdoors when only pansies are blooming. The seasons are precisely why I like TN as we have all the seasons, but normally a mild winter with short bursts of cold and occasional snow. Geography and climate is what attracts me to an area.

Let's see ... here the van has not ventured out for three days as the rain turned the laneway into an ice sluiceway (remember last winter's ditching episode) but that's fine now because overnight, following the drizzle, the freezing rain and the snow - I'm sure the traction is ok. The lane just needs a little touch-up with the snowblower :eek: My best to the bloomin' camelias and pansies :D

Yes, the great white North they’re probably not sitting on the front porch in a T-shirt sipping wine–like some people I know.

But we'll pay.

Not quite ... when winter weary we make our orders from the seed catalogue and ... we bake sourdough! Sweet consolation :cool:

DSCF8345 SOURDOUGH BOULE 650 MED.jpg

Let's see ... here the van has not ventured out for three days as the rain turned the laneway into an ice sluiceway (remember last winter's ditching episode) but that's fine now because overnight, following the drizzle, the freezing rain and the snow - I'm sure the traction is ok. The lane just needs a little touch-up with the snowblower :eek: My best to the bloomin' camelias and pansies :D
That's better than I expected as I was expecting to hear that you got 15" of new snow.

Bone chilling 40 degree lows in east Ventura county right now. Brrr! Should I put sweaters on the dogs before I walk them?
Southern California sucks in many ways. Weather is not one of thems ways. :)

Bone chilling 40 degree lows in east Ventura county right now. Brrr! Should I put sweaters on the dogs before I walk them?
Southern California sucks in many ways. Weather is not one of thems ways. :)
Woke up to 65*! Up to 67* before noon.

Not quite ... when winter weary we make our orders from the seed catalogue and ... we bake sourdough! Sweet consolation :cool:

View attachment 1263730
Wow! gorgeous! are those rolls/buns or loaves? (need that caliper or ruler.;)) Either way, they look good enough to eat.

ETA: My sourdough looks like I backed the car over it, and it tastes equally bad.

I sold “color” for a spell up in the high desert. I had my set of tables at Home Depot Victorville. Some mornings the pansies were frozen to the table. They would handle it though. Made me have more respect for them. They can be finicky with stem rot.

Tough to take: where is the sweating emoji?:D don’t worry, we’ll pay…View attachment 1263238
Boston has 60 degree temp? Wow! I will let dad know. I need something to talk to him about. His last medicine adjustment is gradually bringing him out of a funk. He is more alert and more talkative. He is a Boston native. Malden to be exact

Boston has 60 degree temp? Wow! I will let dad know. I need something to talk to him about. His last medicine adjustment is gradually bringing him out of a funk. He is more alert and more talkative. He is a Boston native. Malden to be exact

Malden! Who knew! Yes, a bit north of here on the orange line. I'm in Boston proper, though this area was the last to be annexed, and it has a different feel than most of Boston.

I think many people are flabbergasted when they learn of the reality of Boston. It gets so much bad press in terms of politics and weather, but it is actually quite livable considering its range of options and opportunities. Often the weather is better and milder here than other locations, including the SW--but probably not where you are!

My recollection of CA was overpopulation (based on 3-4 trips), BAD air quality and the tinsel town feel.--I remember visiting my bother at UCLA, and I thought I was at a spa! Everyone toned and buff...
Same at USC...remember a guy sitting outside in January playing his classical guitar (he is world-famous musician) wearing no underwear. (Yes, this was noticeable.)

Please tell your Dad. I'm glad he is doing a bit better--I've seen some of your other posts, and know from personal experience how these things can go. Not easy street.

Back