The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Still getting overnight temperatures in the mid 20s F but some of our plants are done waiting.

20190424_132732-864x864.jpg
Gooseberries
20190424_132759-864x864.jpg
Strawberries, these guys had green leaves under the snow!
20190424_132814-864x864.jpg
Lemon thyme and oregano
20190424_132833-864x864.jpg
Wild Labrador tea
20190424_132847-864x864.jpg 20190424_132859-864x864.jpg
Wintergreen, highbush cranberry and ?crowberry?

73W8nLu.jpg

Good golly, leafing out ... the second spring for this planting and it's looking so healthy! You know LEGION, that raised bed planter looks so fresh, I just may tackle painting mine in white. Maybe in colour. Looking so good!

I'm not seeing my reply in the above post ... does anyone?

Rose and Thistle ... reply to your post seems to have gone astray ... so I duplicate here

I think that those of us who live with extended snow in season, what spring brings is long awaited and precious - gutsy, fragile life. For me, it sure makes me pay a lot more attention to the sprouts and migrating bird song.

One of the perennials I have on order this year is the Saskatoon Berry - homage to my Saskatchewan roots.

Flooding has been declared a state of emergency here in this municipality. The levels will exceed the 2013 floods which was our 100 year high according to the flood plane mapping. Six years is not another 100 - so buckle up humanity.

Here is the bridge in Bracebridge - broiling water flowing over the walk bridge, over the falls observation platform and, of course, our sculpture "The Diver" mostly submerged. This sculpture has been reinforced in place since last time the weight of the ice build-up took her to the bottom ... and rescue by divers. No tourists on the observation deck :eek:

DSCF4707 BRACEBRIDGE FALLS IN FLOOD 650 MED.jpg
DSCF4710 THE DIVER FLOOD 650 MED.jpg

Good golly, leafing out ... the second spring for this planting and it's looking so healthy! You know LEGION, that raised bed planter looks so fresh, I just may tackle painting mine in white. Maybe in colour. Looking so good!
The plan was to paint it blue had some leftover paint from when I painted my kitchen , but I left it in the garage over the winter and it froze and ruined it .

"Say it isn't so, Crockett!"

DSCF4792 CROCKET RED SQUIRREL SNOW 650 MED.jpg

Hmmmm, ducks paddling and diving on the laneway :eek:

DSCF4758 LOWER FIELD TO S SNOW FLOOD 650 MED.jpg

Little house on the hill is lucky it's, well, on a hill :thumbsup:

DSCF4784 LOWER FIELD TO N DOGS SNOW FLOOD 650 MED.jpg

Happy gardening and mowing all ... :p

From my daughter in Florida who emailed me this news clip from the Atlanta Journal Constitution (AJC)

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/humm...an-who-saved-its-life/WC5m58hAGoDQMTKzvaXOzJ/

HUMMER rps20190428_182147_128 CROPPED.jpg

So Cardenaz named the tiny creature Buzz

How does he know it’s Buzz?

“Random hummingbirds don't land in your hand,”

How cool is this! :cool: Clearly another noisy frequent flyer ... :D

Damn, some weather around the US! Friend in Hartford just told me it was 33 this AM. We've had a great week of 80s every day, cool nights, everything is blooming.
The next three days will be in the high 60s with showers, that'll bring on more blooms. Wife says it's the best crop of weeds she's seen in years!

One of my favorite areas of our yard, our good friend Jay did 'Damn It's Windy" for me.
medium800.jpg

North of 60 sprouting leaves ... while here at 44 the buds are holding back while rainfall warnings are issued now in addition to state of emergency declared due to flooding and the military on site evacuating and filling sandbags. Yowza .. I'm buckling up :eek: but above it. Water level over laneway receded a smudge yesterday so I plowed through with care, parting the ducks ... making a trip to town and back in before the forecast rain which has been coming in since last evening. Lovely to see Utah blooming in warm spring breeze and Alaska in bud and blue sky. This flooding here will pass .... and come again, perhaps more forcefully.

On the way to town yesterday I felt so bad for one homeowner who had been encircled by sandbags and who had a sump going to keep the flooding under control on his property. It is all lost. The sandbags are way under water, the sump hose is removed from crossing over the road, all his snowmobiles and yard equipment are stacked on top of the raised septic bed and the water is rising still. Significant flooding and a warning for future in my estimation. So glad my little home is on a hill.

Bracebridge town proper is at the confluence of two significant rivers - Muskoka River, north and south branches - outflow of a huge watershed that includes Algonquin Park. Settlement was because of the rivers in great part - sawmill, logging history, steamboat access in past.

People under estimate water generally, and moving water in particular - powerful and relentless rivers, the Muskokas.

Back