The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

@JB in SC
Good thing you didn't have school age kids. Public schools there stunk! IMO. Rode a bus 1 hour each way to different school after refusing to go to local school--in spite of the pecans!

Back to gardening: Fuqua Orchid Center in Atlanta is amazing! (part of Atlanta Botanical Garden) Ever visit?
Would like to visit that. I also bussed a pretty good distance as a kid for school because my mother wanted me/us to. :D Life's path was set and I knew few kids other than neighbors in my area unlike most kids who attended the local schools.

Never visited Biltmore in Asheville NC. Need to.

Would like to visit that. I also bussed a pretty good distance as a kid for school because my mother wanted me/us to. :D Life's path was set and I knew few kids other than neighbors in my area unlike most kids who attended the local schools.

Yes, my mother believed in the value of a good education and spared nothing.:)

I don't know how conditions would be today (indoor setting for orchids), but based on your posts here and interest you describe, I bet you would LOVE the botanical garden and the orchid section. We walked to the gardens in November and there were very few people about. My brother used to spend hours and hours, days, photographing the orchids. He's also spent time in Madagascar, where some of these orchids are from, and the photos from both are amazing! Some real beauties. Here's a link to the site: https://atlantabg.org/map-location/orchid-atrium/

and a link to the orchid display house: https://atlantabg.org/map-location/orchid-display-house/

The Fuqua Orchid Center’s Orchid Display House highlights orchids that grow in the tropics from sea level to 6,000 feet elevation. At the front near the entrances from the Orchid Atrium and Southeastern Center for Conservation, orchids are displayed on a rotational basis below a cedar pergola. The back half features tropical orchids growing as epiphytes (harmlessly upon other plants), lithophytes (on rock) and terrestrials (in the soil) in a naturalistic setting.

Featured in the Orchid Display House are some of the Garden’s core orchid collections: Euglossine bee- pollinated orchids, Asian slipper orchids (Paphiopedilum), moth orchids (Phalaenopsis) and orchids of Madagascar. Look for the vines of Vanilla planifolia on the left near the pergola; natural vanilla flavor comes from the cured seed pods of this orchid.

The Orchid Display House also hosts rotating seasonal displays, including during Orchid Daze and Garden Lights, Holiday Nights.

I like the native orchids from the world rather than all the cultivars you see these days. Orchids are definitely one of my interests. Seeing native orchids in the woods is always a highlight of any woods walk!

The epiphytes in Mexico and South America were really exciting to me in the wild.

Last edited:
I like the native orchids from the world rather than all the cultivars you see these days. Orchids are definitely one of my interests. Seeing native orchids in the woods is always a highlight of any woods walk!

The epiphytes in Mexico and South America were really exciting to me in the wild.
Well, I bet you would love my brothers photos, too—definitely “in the wild.”
He “camped” alone (with camera) outdoors in Africa for at least a month, traveling by foot maybe 20 miles per day. Once woke to surprise hippos!

I have a small garden with limited ground space (foot print). This year I enclosed my yellow squash with the concrete wire tomato cages that I am not using for tomatoes. Wanted to show the result and some of you in similar circumstances might consider a cage to better contain all the foliage from shading a lot of other vegies out. The cages are full width (height) concrete wire, but if you wanted to do something like this, half size (height) would work really well. The cages force the squash plant to grow taller and it keeps the squash off the ground.
IMG_5979ed.jpg
annr annr I am going to plan a Atlanta Botanical Garden visit next spring when a lot of the orchids are blooming. Admission is $20+, so with traffic and effort involved, I am going to try a visit when I hope is the more spectacular timing for orchids. Frankly, I'm a little surprised I haven't been there. Used to visit the Dallas TX botanical garden a lot in its early days. It was free then. I used to ride my bike around White Rock Lake often as it was a nice escape from city life. San Antonio has a nice one too. It is located in an old limestone quarry and the Japanese Garden is quite nice. Been years since I have been there as I moved away from Texas.

South FL has a good crop of natural growing orchids in the protected places (parks and so forth). I suspect people dig them outside the parks and sell them. Last December was my very first visit to that area and I was somewhat impressed with what I saw. I was really not properly prepared for the swampy environment for that visit. I will be better prepared next time.

Years ago, I used to keep maps in the Southeast where I found orchids growing naturally (Lady Slippers and so forth). Native orchids are one of my "things". These days it would be easy to do with gps marking and tracking to find the spots again in the mountains.

Last edited:
20200710_183911.jpg

The gardens here are about to burst into colour in a big way :) ... and it promises to be worth the wait.

I'll start with the porch, my 'greenhouse', where I sit with my feet in a vat of cool water on the hottest days and where the uv shy plants thrive - where Desta (Dez) hangs out so she can keep an eye on me working in the gardens.

Inside, the porch is shielded from the West by a a section of clear, reinforced tarp that gives that super bright ambiance without the harsh burn from the afternoon sun. Where the full sun does strike the porch on the South, the sun-loving plants thrive. The heirloom tomatoes are monsters compared to my usual varieties. Knarly looking fruit too, as promised on the seed packets. On the steps are calendula and strawflower from seed - won't know which is which until they bloom which should be soon. To Dez's right are marigolds.

DSCF0442 PORCH DEZ TOMATOES MARIGOLD DELPHINIUM COLEUS 650 MED.jpg

Coleus (Campfire and Ruby Slipper) from cuttings love this light. The delphinium, around 6' tall, had to be brought out of the full sun. I like this plant yet the height would keep me from having more. I may find a good home for this one :)

DSCF0432 PORCH COLEUS DELPHINIUM 650 MED.jpg

Always I plant scarlet runner pole beans from last year's pods. I don't use them for shade now, with the clear tarp doing that job, so I only have one climber on some jute twine on the sunny side. The mailbox keeps the weather off the outside electrical cords year round (small fountain, snowblower, mower etc).

DSCF0369 MAILBOX COLEUS BEANS 650 MED.jpg

Some like it hot - he just wants to lay down to eat. The runt is becoming a lot more wary which is good. Looking healthy. Time for him to depend 100% on the woods for chow :D

DSCF0373 SQUIRREL EATS LOL PORCH 650 MED.jpg

Daisies, bee balm and zinnias ... first for a bouquet.

DSCF0266 BOUQUET DAISY BEE BALM ZINNIA 650 MED.jpg

The new dig from the house to the bee balm separates the 'lawn' and flower gardens from weed hill where I am standing in this pic. New dig was expanded this spring and now has about 40 of around 80 glads putting up flower stocks ... cosmos from seed are interspersed for even more colour. Wait for it! Along the front of the house are the perennial liatris, gaillardia, daisies, rose, lilies, bee balm, peony ... all backdrop for annual zinnias from seed that are already blooming. Planters hold several varieties of nasturtiums.

DSCF0493 GLADIOLA COSMO SHED NEW DIG HOUSE BEE BALM 650 MED.jpg

DSCF0510 PORCH TOMATOES HOUSE GARDEN TO EAST 650 MED.jpg

Spaniel Crossing is our home :)

DSCF0503 HOUSE MAPLE YARD 650 MED.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0496 TARP SHED INTERIOR 650 MED.jpg
    DSCF0496 TARP SHED INTERIOR 650 MED.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3
taldesta taldesta Wow! Zow! That's talent and hard work to make such a richly coulored and textured haven in the North! (my grass is green.:D)

taldesta taldesta Wow! Zow! That's talent and hard work to make such a richly coulored and textured haven in the North! (my grass is green.:D)
Thanks annr ...

How are you managing with your squirrel vs berry crop? Yes, every one is a crop :)

The resident and most emboldened chipmunk has tunneled under my hollyhocks and adds insult to injury by shinnying up what stocks have survived to snack on the blossoms and buds. Flowers gone. Roses gone. And, I also caught him [he's called Hoover BTW (have you ever observed a chipmunk vacuuming up sunflower seeds to stuff his cheeks?)] climbing the tomato cages to take blossoms. And my black currants - Yum! Gone. Revenge for my not getting the sunflower seed out in suitable quantities I suspect.

I ask, "Why don't the critters eat plantain and dandelion seeds that overtake the aggregate in the laneway? Why?"

Thanks annr ...

How are you managing with your squirrel vs berry crop? Yes, every one is a crop :)

The resident and most emboldened chipmunk has tunneled under my hollyhocks and adds insult to injury by shinnying up what stocks have survived to snack on the blossoms and buds. Flowers gone. Roses gone. And, I also caught him [he's called Hoover BTW (have you ever observed a chipmunk vacuuming up sunflower seeds to stuff his cheeks?)] climbing the tomato cages to take blossoms. And my black currants - Yum! Gone. Revenge for my not getting the sunflower seed out in suitable quantities I suspect.

I ask, "Why don't the critters eat plantain and dandelion seeds that overtake the aggregate in the laneway? Why?"
Squirrels 2, humans 0. I thought the berries should be picked and was overruled, "One more night." Now, we are trying my approach.... (top secret so critters will not get the alert.)

Yes, I suspect they take an online course (or comparable) at night to strategize and exploit our weaknesses and leave us with the unwanted invaders. These targeted surgical strikes....:mad:

Yes, we have a (p)resident Hoover...of the human variety.:)

Daisies, bee balm and zinnias ... first for a bouquet.

The new dig from the house to the bee balm separates the 'lawn' and flower gardens from weed hill where I am standing in this pic. New dig was expanded this spring and now has about 40 of around 80 glads putting up flower stocks ... cosmos from seed are interspersed for even more colour. Wait for it! Along the front of the house are the perennial liatris, gaillardia, daisies, rose, lilies, bee balm, peony ... all backdrop for annual zinnias from seed that are already blooming. Planters hold several varieties of nasturtiums.View attachment 1379517
Quite a spread! I'm impressed. We are in the summer doldrums of hot sun and little rainfall now. Fescue yard is browning quickly. I got my mountain bike refurbished into more of a highway/gravel road bike and I'm itching to ride. Should almost be like a new one.... except it is heavier than many bikes made today. I feel that I need the exercise if work doesn't provide for it and it hasn't since the 1st of the year. This heat (90*F+) has been keeping me inside the house and only doing yard things.

I was real pleased with the refurbishing of my bicycle. Will probably get my other bike (racing type bike) refurbished this winter. This was not a cheap thing. As is, the racing bike is useless taking up valuable space until it gets some knowledgeable attention. But ultimately if it gets me riding again, it will be worth it.

I have tomatoes or as many as I can handle right now. I just planted a new tomato plant in a container (smaller container than my usual) and a smaller plant in the garden in hopes for a early fall harvest. Peppers (generally sweet-green and yellow bells) are doing well and providing.

Last edited:
Quite a spread! I'm impressed. We are in the summer doldrums of hot sun and little rainfall now. Fescue yard is browning quickly. I got my mountain bike refurbished into more of a highway/gravel road bike and I'm itching to ride. Should almost be like a new one.... except it is heavier than many bikes made today. I feel that I need the exercise if work doesn't provide for it and it hasn't since the 1st of the year. This heat (90*F+) has been keeping me inside the house and only doing yard things.

I was real pleased with the refurbishing of my bicycle. Will probably get my other bike (racing type bike) refurbished this winter. This was not a cheap thing. As is, the racing bike is useless taking up valuable space until it gets some knowledgeable attention. But ultimately if it gets me riding again, it will be worth it.

I have tomatoes or as many as I can handle right now. I just planted a new tomato plant in a container (smaller container than my usual) and a smaller plant in the garden in hopes for a early fall harvest. Peppers (generally sweet-green and yellow bells) are doing well and providing.

Thanks, 22-rimfire

My strategy on this weedpatch has evolved to 'keep it small, manageable, within reach of the hose ... and plant as many old-fashioned perennials and annuals as I can fit in. Trim the lane and roadway and let the rest stay fallow". Many years ago I would have liked to begin a market garden on this property, especially with the river-bottom richness on the flats nearest the river - but then I was full-time working away. Now I have the time, but that ambition has gone with the time passed. I am happy with the scaled back ambition. I just love growing ad experimenting - it's not 'work' for me.

Bike refurbishment - good stuff! Not just exercise but aerobic exercise :thumbsup:. Not to mention the joy of the wind in your face! :cool:

Tomatoes - one variety I have "red racer" shows promise of ripening ahead of the larger "brandy wine" but I am still buying tomatoes (yikes) in quantity. The earliest would be 70 days from planting out post last frost (24th May). No cherry size planted this year - they usually fill the gap.

Thanks, 22-rimfire

My strategy on this weedpatch has evolved to 'keep it small, manageable, within reach of the hose ... and plant as many old-fashioned perennials and annuals as I can fit in. Trim the lane and roadway and let the rest stay fallow". Many years ago I would have liked to begin a market garden on this property, especially with the river-bottom richness on the flats nearest the river - but then I was full-time working away. Now I have the time, but that ambition has gone with the time passed. I am happy with the scaled back ambition. I just love growing ad experimenting - it's not 'work' for me.

Bike refurbishment - good stuff! Not just exercise but aerobic exercise :thumbsup:. Not to mention the joy of the wind in your face! :cool:

Tomatoes - one variety I have "red racer" shows promise of ripening ahead of the larger "brandy wine" but I am still buying tomatoes (yikes) in quantity. The earliest would be 70 days from planting out post last frost (24th May). No cherry size planted this year - they usually fill the gap.
Growing up we had a lot of "weeds" that were left to just grow. The only thing that concerns me about this practice are lots of trees springing up that gradually change the field into a forest unless I plant them. Hence periodic bush hogging (about once a year) is useful in keeping it mostly weeds just like farmers do on fallow ground.

On my one bike, I initially viewed it as a tuneup, but it grew into a refurbishment. I used to ride quite a bit in the Texas heat, but I just don't enjoy that so much anymore. I'm not looking for a challenge; I'm looking for recreational fun and a bit of exercise. The higher humidity certainly takes a lot of the fun out of it when it's hot. In PA they have rails to trails and these areas are often in the woods. I am not aware of stuff like that in TN.

... and it will taste better than any you've ever eaten! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
The local vegetable/fruit market is selling locally grown fresh-picked sweet corn now for $1.00/ear. Bit expensive for my tastes. I guess the season is passing and there isn't much new locally grown sweet corn now. So, LEGION 12 LEGION 12 , look at all the money you're saving by growing it yourself!

Another smokin' hot day here. Thunderstorms possible and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one appears over my yard. ;) Been really dry here for the last three weeks.

Transformer on hydro pole in my yard blew with a boom and flash of light on Sat night. Some rain overnight Sat but alerts re: tornado forming thunderstorms (SW province) came over radio much of Sunday and the hydro workers definitely opted not to go up in the bucket with lightning crackling overhead. Go figure :eek:

By late afternoon Sun all was sunshine and bucket trucks and power back on :thumbsup:

Today is perfect - no humidity, good breeze, good working temps ... and more of the same forecast with cool overnights. My kind of summer after so much heat and humidity.

Back