The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Growing up we had a lot of "weeds" that were left to just grow. The only thing that concerns me about this practice are lots of trees springing up that gradually change the field into a forest unless I plant them. Hence periodic bush hogging (about once a year) is useful in keeping it mostly weeds just like farmers do on fallow ground.

On my one bike, I initially viewed it as a tuneup, but it grew into a refurbishment. I used to ride quite a bit in the Texas heat, but I just don't enjoy that so much anymore. I'm not looking for a challenge; I'm looking for recreational fun and a bit of exercise. The higher humidity certainly takes a lot of the fun out of it when it's hot. In PA they have rails to trails and these areas are often in the woods. I am not aware of stuff like that in TN.

I'll get a picture that shows the tree growth exactly as you describe. Mostly willows here I think, because of the drainage from hillside keeps a lot of water below the steep drop-off below the house. Willows I like. Tag alders, not at all. I have planned to walk in there to check when the spring water dries up. Of course I've planted a number of white pines on the drier section of the flats. I guess my feeling is - anything but weeds :D

Re: bike - My road here winds closely along the river, no guardrails to speak of, and it is a treed and beautiful cycling route that is often used, more so since the pandemic. Two bridges connect me to the highway. One is closed recently for repair, until winter.

This spring, as I continue to scale back, I parted with my bike and cart after enjoying them for many years ... and through 5 re-locations. Mostly though, I enjoyed the bike cart, especially after I modified it for harness for one of my younger, larger dogs to haul (what else) my older frail dog (or two). It was a hard decision to part with the bike but time has come for me to stop flying headlong on two wheels. And I feel good about it. Here's a fine, solid bike getting new use tearing about the countryside with some smiling rider on board - wind in their face. For bike riders everywhere - "Ride it 'til the wheels fall off!" Kudos.

A little quiet in gardening ... everybody busy watering perhaps

Sod walls on raised veg garden (weed hill) amazingly make it easy to keep weeds out! Later plantings have no cages but are supported by poles laid across the turf walls. Yet more pumpkins grow at base of cold compost.
DSCF0572 VEG GARDEN TOMATOES POLES PUMPKIN 650 MED.jpg

Trellis bamboo perches, hummer nasturtium candy :)

DSCF0687 HUMMINGBIRD FEMALE BABY 650 MED 2.jpg

Zinnias from seed have outdistanced some perennials ... will seed shorter variety in front next time. Daisies and Liatris thriving.

DSCF0692 HOUSE GARDEN DAISIES TO LIATRIS ZINNIA 650 MED.jpg

Glads are coming in dusty rose, orange, frothy pinks, white rimmed reds - going to be spectacular!

DSCF0729 HOUSE BEE BALM NEW DIG GLADS NASTURTIUMS 650 MED 2.jpg

For me, this is the time of the year (hot summer months) when things are generally ending their blooming cycle and there is a general reduction in color and my interest in general. The annuals seem to take over at this point in terms of interest.

Was looking at a dwarf Joe Pye Weed variety (perennial) online. I have generally been disappointed with online perennial purchases in the past from nurseries due to the size of the stuff they ship you. Basically, high price and small plant.... Normal Joe Pye Weed grows 5 feet or taller and is common in wet meadows and overgrown areas like your bottom area taldesta taldesta . The plant has always interested me. This dwarf variety that is supposed to get about 3 feet tall has potential. Probably going to get a couple plants for next year's perennial area. Apparently you plant them in the fall for next year.

Indian Pipes that I photographed along a hiking trail a month or so ago.

i-3SMr4Qr-X4.jpg

Last edited:
taldesta taldesta any Busby sightings?

My strawberry (singular) :D was delicious this AM. The others, quite a few, are still in on the plants and ripening nicely.

My strawberry (singular) :D was delicious this AM. The others, quite a few, are still in on the plants and ripening nicely.
So glad you're enjoying the harvest :thumbsup: !

There are baby hummers here a lot with their mom, one male and one female - they have cute, shorter body shapes most noticeable when perching. The babies perch a lot more than adults and pics are usually easier to get. That's why I set out so many bamboo trellises - for tiny feet. But so far they've just zoomed and darted so fast making that happy beep-beep they do that I've not engaged enough to see if the mom might be my camera buzzing Busby. When I'm on one side of the bee balm stand they zip to the other. I'll take the time to park on my chair by the bee balm soon. The mom is bold enough to come into the porch to visit my flower bouquets on the table and she is bolder than average in getting close to me. Just could be.

For me, this is the time of the year (hot summer months) when things are generally ending their blooming cycle and there is a general reduction in color and my interest in general. The annuals seem to take over at this point in terms of interest.

Was looking at a dwarf Joe Pye Weed variety (perennial) online. I have generally been disappointed with online perennial purchases in the past from nurseries due to the size of the stuff they ship you. Basically, high price and small plant.... Normal Joe Pye Weed grows 5 feet or taller and is common in wet meadows and overgrown areas like your bottom area taldesta taldesta . The plant has always interested me. This dwarf variety that is supposed to get about 3 feet tall has potential. Probably going to get a couple plants for next year's perennial area. Apparently you plant them in the fall for next year.
Yes, Joe Pye Weed grows here wild all along the river - very distinctive, large dusty-rose flower head. Dwarf variety might be great for the garden. I see that the dwarf bee balm here continues to flower - something I like in a perennial - long blooming if possible.

The glads are sold as annuals or lift-and-store for overwintering here, but lot of the bulbs left in ground are coming up from previous year.

My stand of bee balm which has taken over and needs dividing desperately was ordered from BC online (10 plants - now I couldn't even count their number - a huge feature in my yard) - yes small to start but 'stand back' especially once established - easily by second year. Yarrow also ordered online- ok first year, thriving second. All my corms, seeds too ... all ordered in. Dependable suppliers describe what to expect truthfully I've found. The catalogues have helped me a lot especially with live plants. I hear you on price too. Yet now I rely mostly on perennials and seeds - can't believe how little I can get away with by sprinkling some old fashioned cosmo, zinnia and nasturtium seeds among the perennials.

Yes, Joe Pye Weed grows here wild all along the river - very distinctive, large dusty-rose flower head. Dwarf variety might be great for the garden. I see that the dwarf bee balm here continues to flower - something I like in a perennial - long blooming if possible.

The glads are sold as annuals or lift-and-store for overwintering here, but lot of the bulbs left in ground are coming up from previous year.

My stand of bee balm which has taken over and needs dividing desperately was ordered from BC online (10 plants - now I couldn't even count their number - a huge feature in my yard) - yes small to start but 'stand back' especially once established - easily by second year. Yarrow also ordered online- ok first year, thriving second. All my corms, seeds too ... all ordered in. Dependable suppliers describe what to expect truthfully I've found. The catalogues have helped me a lot especially with live plants. I hear you on price too. Yet now I rely mostly on perennials and seeds - can't believe how little I can get away with by sprinkling some old fashioned cosmo, zinnia and nasturtium seeds among the perennials.
I have ordered unusual Christmas Cactus online and have really been disappointed with what I received. They are so small and poorly rooted that over half die.

I don't have any bee balm in my bed. Might need to look into a dwarf variety. The regular wild variety gets up to about 4 feet tall. Zinnas I like but they are pretty much slow death with fungal diseases for me.

I am really beginning to like the pure blooms of the vinca (annual). So easy to deal with if you water a little when it's dry. It re-seeds itself and comes up true. But I usually buy some plants anyway every year.

I ordered a couple dwarf Joe Pye weed (3" pot plants to be delivered in October) and some other stuff I typically buy mail order/online. I guess we can see how it does come next summer assuming the plants survive the winter which I fully expect.

The plant that really spreads for me are coreopis (brown eyed susan's). There are many different varieties these days.

Last edited:
I have ordered unusual Christmas Cactus online and have really been disappointed with what I received. They are so small and poorly rooted that over half die.

I don't have any bee balm in my bed. Might need to look into a dwarf variety. The regular wild variety gets up to about 4 feet tall. Zinnas I like but they are pretty much slow death with fungal diseases for me.

I am really beginning to like the pure blooms of the vinca (annual). So easy to deal with if you water a little when it's dry. It re-seeds itself and comes up true. But I usually buy some plants anyway every year.

I ordered a couple dwarf Joe Pye weed (3" pot plants to be delivered in October) and some other stuff I typically buy mail order/online. I guess we can see how it does come next summer assuming the plants survive the winter which I fully expect.

The plant that really spreads for me are coreopis (brown eyed susan's). There are many different varieties these days.
FYI I've just trimmed all the blooms from the dwarf bee balm - it still had another week of colour but I wanted to see if I could force a second blooming. First bloom on 8th Jul. so approx. 3 weeks.

Also, I should have been more clear on my live orders. Other than the 60 white pine which were entire plants, I order live plugs, plant pips, rhizomes, corms, bulbs .... My sense is that an entire plant might be harder to ship - perhaps why you had an issue with the Christmas Cactus.

I'm curious about the dwarf Joe Pie Weed too.

By "brown eyed susan's" do you refer to that yellow, daisy-like flower with the dark centre, tall stem ... ?

BTW chipmunks have eaten every flower bud from 8 lilies ... every one - and started on the stalks which now won't be able to feed the bulbs. Who knew.

At least the hummingbirds are a wonderful distraction :D

FYI I've just trimmed all the blooms from the dwarf bee balm - it still had another week of colour but I wanted to see if I could force a second blooming. First bloom on 8th Jul. so approx. 3 weeks.

Also, I should have been more clear on my live orders. Other than the 60 white pine which were entire plants, I order live plugs, plant pips, rhizomes, corms, bulbs .... My sense is that an entire plant might be harder to ship - perhaps why you had an issue with the Christmas Cactus.

I'm curious about the dwarf Joe Pie Weed too.

By "brown eyed susan's" do you refer to that yellow, daisy-like flower with the dark centre, tall stem ... ?

BTW chipmunks have eaten every flower bud from 8 lilies ... every one - and started on the stalks which now won't be able to feed the bulbs. Who knew.

At least the hummingbirds are a wonderful distraction :D
I sent you a PM telling where I ordered the Dwarf Joe Pye weed just in case you're interested. I have purchased Amaryllis from them many times. And yes, yellow daisy-like flowers w/ brown centers. They are just starting to bloom now in my yard.

PM received with thanks :thumbsup:

The civilized ones do bloom a little later than the wild, scrappy ones like on this property. These flowers on 'weed hill' are descendants of ones I encouraged ... brought here from my parent's property ... over 20 years ago. You can't tell from this image but this garden is completely weeded, watered and trimmed around to prevent more weeds as it is slowly enlarged. Bee balm is also taking hold in this inhospitable soil. Survivors of the wild plant world. Happy faces all.

DSCF0578 DARK EYED SUSANS 650 MED.jpg

annr, this one's for you ... taken through 'Busby's window' too. Meet 'Cutie Pie'

DSCF0947 HUMMER BABY FEMALE RED GLAD 650 MED.jpg

The perches set among flowers bring the hummers so close that I can take such pictures from my easy chair. They stay longer - just not in one spot for long. Some fast shooting :D

DSCF0940 HUMMER BABY FEMALE RED GLADS EATS 650 MED.jpg

annr, this one's for you ... taken through 'Busby's window' too. Meet 'Cutie Pie'

View attachment 1384425

The perches set among flowers bring the hummers so close that I can take such pictures from my easy chair. They stay longer - just not in one spot for long. Some fast shooting :D

View attachment 1384424
Magnificent and thank you! How do you get anything done? I'd be glued to my seat watching! (No photos b/c I don't have the chops for that.) Very cute indeed.

ETA: the strawberries were yummy this AM.:)

Last edited:
How do you get anything done?

ETA: the strawberries were yummy this AM.:)

# 1) I don't!

Congrats on the strawberries :thumbsup: You must be an early riser to beat the :eek: critters to them.

BTW hope you can handle another bird pic, here's my visitor (with 10) last evening ...

DSCF0862 TURKEY 10 BABIES WINGS SPREAD 650 MED.jpg

Believe it or not, I saw my very first hummingbird of 2020 (male Ruby Throated) at the house yesterday. I put out my feeder again just in case it might encourage it or them to return. Saw another one checking out the feeder this morning.

taldesta taldesta Let us know if the dead heading of the Bee Balm results in new blooms.

Back